The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So do you hate any humour in wrestling or just when it’s AEW? It’s a weird thing to be upset about when they were spoofing Apple launches to debut their new range of games

If only I'd prefaced the weirdness of my point in some way...

Cody is still the most unlikeable person in AEW. He's veering into Triple H territory with some of his actions.

Having the left and right entrance tunnels for the heels and faces, yet he gets to come in through the centre, with tons of pyro. Fair enough if it's a special PPV entrance, but he does it every week on TV. Sticking himself in the program with Shaq as the match with the celeb will get the most press attention. Whoever it was that said that Cody is the most famous person on the roster to non-wrestling fans is talking out of their arse when they have people like Jericho, Sting and one of The Hardy Boys.

You just know he's going to end up booking himself into the title picture soon enough. Even though he lost that match that means he can never go for the World title again, he'll make a work around for it. He's going to end up telling them to not use any clips of him in seemingly venerable positions in the promo clips and trailers so he looks strong.

Just turn the guy heel so it at least makes sense.

Rey Fenix is still my boy and Mox just oozes cool. I wish Luchasaurus was good in the ring as he'd be mega money.

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Whoever it was that said that Cody is the most famous person on the roster to non-wrestling fans is talking out of their arse when they have people like Jericho, Sting and one of The Hardy Boys.

Hi, I’m one of them.

1- Cody is on a mainstream talent show with Snoop Dogg and Rosario Dawson. Jericho did Dancing with the Stars a decade ago. That’s mainstream exposure.

2- Sting was huge in the 90’s. The Hardy’s were famous in the early 00’s at WWE’s last real peak of audiences. 

3- If you’re not a wrestling fan how would you know who those people are? And EVEN if a non wrestling fan does remember, it was at the peak of the career and not the end. Jericho especially looks completely different to when he did back then, because they’ve all aged.

So yeah, the guy doing the media rounds, being a star of shows outside of wrestling right now is Cody.

My thoughts - the bump Kingston took would possibly have been a major angle not so long ago, now it’s a mid match move in a TV match. Be careful fellas. 
The Cody segment started with a sleepy Shaq and continued to slalom downhill from there. 
The Kip/Miro thing is WWE shit. 
Thought the Jungle Boy-Dax match was great, anyone have any concerns how FTR are being booked though? 
I know I have a weekly moan about the things I don’t like on Dynamite on this thread but that’s because I am old and I still find it an easier watch than WWE.

Edited by Project Nim
Autocorrect being a pillock

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Project Nim said:

My thoughts - the bump Kingston took would possibly have been a major angle not so long ago, now it’s a mid match move in a TV match. Be careful fellas. 
The Cody segment started with a sleepy Shaq and continued to slalom downhill from there. 
The Kip/Miro thing is WWE shit. 
Thought the Jungle Boy-Dax match was great, anyone have any concerns how FTR are being booked though? 
I know I have a weekly moan about the things I don’t like on Dynamite on this thread but that’s because I am old and I still find it an easier watch than WWE.

What concerns? They were tag champs, are currently ranked number 1 and now booked in a good feud with the top babyface tag team where they have been presented as a strong heel team. How else should FTR be booked?

On the Cody thing, I think its absurd he’s not In the main event picture. He’s clearly a star and is actually so underused currently, it’s detracting from his act. 

It’s needless tokenism to appeal people who still resent Triple H. Nonsense.

If you think he shouldn’t be main event, nor should he be in the special attraction angles with folk like Shaq, where on earth do you think he should be on the card?

For me, the main event scene on Dynamite should be Kenny, Mox, Cody, Hangman, Jericho, Jake Hager and Sting, if he’s around that long. They’re the ones who scream ‘star’ to me.

Underneath that level you have Brian Cage, Darby Allin, Miro, Dustin Rhodes, MJF who could all sub in to the main event scene if called upon.

That Go Big Show doesn't exactly scream mainstream to me, it may be styled like American Idol or whatever but it's not anywhere on that level.

Snoop is an odd one, yeah he's a name that everyone knows but he also seems to sell himself to anyone, regardless of size. He'll appear anywhere, he's got some good grift going on.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Cody is still the most unlikeable person in AEW. He's veering into Triple H territory with some of his actions.

Having the left and right entrance tunnels for the heels and faces, yet he gets to come in through the centre, with tons of pyro. Fair enough if it's a special PPV entrance, but he does it every week on TV. Sticking himself in the program with Shaq as the match with the celeb will get the most press attention. Whoever it was that said that Cody is the most famous person on the roster to non-wrestling fans is talking out of their arse when they have people like Jericho, Sting and one of The Hardy Boys.

You just know he's going to end up booking himself into the title picture soon enough. Even though he lost that match that means he can never go for the World title again, he'll make a work around for it. He's going to end up telling them to not use any clips of him in seemingly venerable positions in the promo clips and trailers so he looks strong.

What a weird thing to say. Have you even watched the shows? He couldn’t be further from, “veering into Triple H territory,” and there’s been nothing to suggest he wouldn’t want to look vulnerable in clips.

Cody has been the absolute best guy in the company for showing vulnerability and and putting over new stars. He’s the only VP out of all of them who’s done it properly - winning the majority of his matches like he should do, in order for it to mean a thousand times more when he loses. His losses to MJF, Brodie Lee and Darby Allin have all been solid jobs at putting guys over when the guy and the time was right. His time limit draws have elevated guys like Orange Cassidy too. But yeah. Doesn’t want to show vulnerability? Brodie Lee fucking squashed him! He didn’t get a single bit of offence in!

I get that Cody’s character has some inconsistencies (the majority of which are thanks to his wife), and his babyface act doesn’t work with everyone, but let’s not start talking shit about how he’s selfish or building the show around himself or whatever. As @d-d-d-dAzcorrectly points out, there’s an argument Cody isn’t featured enough considering what a star he is and the reactions he gets from the crowd.

• Paid Members

He's inconsistent but I got the same vibes watching him vs Brodie as I did watching Sting vs Vader. If I had just started watching aged 10 like I did back in 2000, it would be Cody I'd be a huge fan of.

• Paid Members

Cody should be featured prominently. When he's in a good feud he does phenomenal work. Let's not forget that he was the best babyface promo of 2019 and early 2020. His matches with Kingston and Starks he put them over so well that both got jobs immediately after. It's just that everything he's doing at the moment is insanely shit. He's not the type of wrestler who can turn chicken shit into chicken salad, but if you give him good stuff he'll make it great.

5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

What a weird thing to say. Have you even watched the shows? He couldn’t be further from, “veering into Triple H territory,” and there’s been nothing to suggest he wouldn’t want to look vulnerable in clips.

Cody has been the absolute best guy in the company for showing vulnerability and and putting over new stars. He’s the only VP out of all of them who’s done it properly - winning the majority of his matches like he should do, in order for it to mean a thousand times more when he loses. His losses to MJF, Brodie Lee and Darby Allin have all been solid jobs at putting guys over when the guy and the time was right. His time limit draws have elevated guys like Orange Cassidy too. But yeah. Doesn’t want to show vulnerability? Brodie Lee fucking squashed him! He didn’t get a single bit of offence in!

I get that Cody’s character has some inconsistencies (the majority of which are thanks to his wife), and his babyface act doesn’t work with everyone, but let’s not start talking shit about how he’s selfish or building the show around himself or whatever. As @d-d-d-dAzcorrectly points out, there’s an argument Cody isn’t featured enough considering what a star he is and the reactions he gets from the crowd.

Wow, you couldn’t have mis-quoted me and taken my remarks more out of context if you tried. 

I never once said that he actually doesn’t want to look vulnerable in clips. It was a joke. A reference to my Triple H remark where I said he’s veering (veering, not actually there yet) into Triple H territory by giving himself the grandest entrances and the best fueds with the highest profile stars because he’s once of the bosses so he can do what he wants. Like Triple H did/does. 

I never once said he was selfish or building the show around himself but if that’s how you want to read into it, then knock yourself out. 

The point I was tried to make is that his current gimmick screams heel. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Now let's not be silly.

I’m not. He has a legitimate aura about him when he turns it on and looks and feels like a major player. I’m not saying you build a company round him, but he should be featured prominently and be a legitimate threat.

In a company full of Indy stink in places, they could do worst than leaning on a couple of those ‘look and feel, pass the sniff test’ wrestlers from the WWE sausage factory.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz