The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

They tested a kid’s version of NXT once, didn’t they?

There was Saturday Morning Slam, which was basically Velocity for kids:

This episode has Kofi Kingston commentating on a Ziggler match and he notes that they've "had about 999 matches".

• Paid Members

I've been watching the first episodes of NXT recently so I was familiar with Ryan Nemeth due to his stint as the boring backstage interviewer 'Briley Pierce'. I'm surprised to see him doing the bitter ex-WWE guy shtick when he was released back in 2013 and never made it to the main roster. Shows how much character the lad has if that's the character he has chosen.

Hopefully in a years time I am wrong, i remember most of us saying Hangman was boring when Dynamite started. I fail to see this one biting me in the arse though. 

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Statto said:

This episode has Kofi Kingston commentating on a Ziggler match and he notes that they've "had about 999 matches".

There was a pilot for NXT Kids too which was one of the best wrestling tv shows I've seen over the recent few years.

Probably the finest commentary work anywhere of the past ten years.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Vamp said:

Not sure it'd be worth the psychological torment that would result from the "PG sucks" wrestling fans bashing it on social media. 

As long as it's separate to the main programming, that wouldn't be an issue. The 'PG Sucks' stuff is, well, first off massively out of date, but also complaining about the upper level of the programming. I'm not suggesting replacing Dynamite with a kids' show. It'd be like regular fans complaining about WWE Kids magazine.

I also think - on a more general level - that AEW represents a newer wave of smart fan (shit term, but still the easiest to use) for whom Attitude Era nostalgia is becoming somewhat passé. WWE's older skewing audience still benefits from an uptick when they have the old guard on the show, but I see AEW as more representing the way internet fandom has gone in recent years, where the old image of spotty dungeon keepers pining for blood and guts has been replaced by something more akin to the kind of right-on, inclusive followings enjoyed by a lot of geek fandoms nowadays. 

I doubt there's much PC sucks sentiment in the makeup of AEW's audience. They seem to encapsulate an audience that's finally on board with the idea that 96-01 was the exception, not the norm we should be desperately clawing back to. 

2 hours ago, Statto said:

Was that the show where they had Daniel Bryan on commentary once and he spent the whole show talking about bears

Add me to the list of people well up for a kids AEW show. Perfect showcase for the more colourful characters that don't get so much of the spotlight. Panel off QT's shed wrestling ring into a NWA style studio setup, chuck some AR in there to give the presentation some buzz, and have Negative 1 presiding over a MK tournament of monster wrestlers. Give Brodie Jr the full on maniacal Mil Muertes lighting when he intros matches. Stick him in the AEW game with nothing but kendo stick shots and insults. My nephew's favourite wrestler is, of all people, Gran Metalik, so no doubt there's a preteen audience for this kind of madness.