The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Having JR on-board just has to be that element of familiarity right? If you're switching the channel and come across that voice then it's very recognisable.

But yeah I don't know how long you keep him around when his performance is usually subpar, lacking in enthusiasm and probably more detrimental to the overall product than his upside of name value etc.

He is by far the weakest part of their commentary I'd say. Tony is fantastic. Excalibur has grown in the role. And the guests they have like Tazz and Jericho etc have all brought something different but enjoyable to the table. JR sounds like the Undertaker probably would if he watched a Private Party match. And if your commentator isn't enjoying it then why the fuck should the viewer?

• Paid Members

Did Cody really have to give Peter Avalon that much? It's surely only a matter of time before what he thinks is putting the other guy over is just going to make him look weak. He should really have just hit the CrossRhodes and pinned him, then done the Cargill spot. Heck have  him get kicked in the dick after the match and curse himself for getting distracted, or if he's getting distracted by somebody he loses to a rollup with a handful of tights, then gets his win back in a quick, decisive manner without any distractions the following week. There's no need for him to be going 15 minutes across a commercial break with everybody.

I agree about JR. He can give stuff some real gravitas if he just gets trotted out for interviews and big matches, but he can also sound really bored and sometimes completely out of touch. Schiavone and Excalibur are good. I wonder whether Tenay could be drafted in to be the "Iron Professor" with stats and background knowledge like he was in WCW.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I wonder whether Tenay could be drafted in to be the "Iron Professor" with stats and background knowledge like he was in WCW.

Isn't that what Excalibur does though?

I'd be happy with Excalibur and Tony on permanently and the third spot a revolving door of wrestlers, managers, special guests and JR for the main events (or matches he will probably enjoy and put the effort it).

• Paid Members

There don't really seem to be any defined rolls as they'll all do bits of everything. Excalibur seems mainly a play by play guy, though.

• Paid Members

JR could still have things to offer as an agent or talent scout, or doing interviews, and there's no harm in letting him do the odd big match. But as a full-time announcer, he actively detracts from the show. If it's familiarity they want, Schiavone can fill that role, with ten times the enthusiasm, ten times the likeability, and with more continuity in terms of wrestling on TNT. Tazz was commentating on Smackdown twenty years ago, so he can offer familiarity as well.

I think Mike Tenay has said he's retired now, but I also don't think there's a role for him that isn't covered by Excalibur already, and he has too much of the stink of TNA to him.

• Paid Members

You have to wonder if Tony Khan is going to say anything to him at this point or just take him off. I’m sure he’s seen the complaints online and can hear the way he is on commentary every week. And you know JR will have a massive sulk when that time comes. He’s already had little digs at criticism on twitter. And look at his face when he got drafted from Raw to Smackdown years back. It was like he was told he couldn’t murder puppies anymore. 

Although I think Ross has improved, I imagine he’s only being kept on the desk to justify whatever wage he’s on. At his worst he’s a liability. Whether it’s using outdated terminology, making creepy comments about 22-year-old Anna Jay, or taking unnecessary digs at Excalibur he can be quite uncomfortable to listen to. 

Some of the segments and matches that Ross has brought down would almost certainly have been enhanced by the ever-jovial Taz.

Given his age it can’t be easy to even consider taking him off the desk. Ross seems genuinely grateful for the opportunity and this is almost certainly his final full-time announcing role. But it probably should happen. 

Edited by RedRooster

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Revolution has been pushed back to March 7th which is a fucking Sunday instead of their usual Saturday which I'm really not happy about. Loved watching AEW PPVs on Sunday mornings with my breakfast. 

Fuck. Completely agree. Also why I enjoyed NXT Takeovers a lot of the time. It's so much easier sitting down on a Sunday to watch stuff.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Revolution has been pushed back to March 7th which is a fucking Sunday instead of their usual Saturday which I'm really not happy about. Loved watching AEW PPVs on Sunday mornings with my breakfast. 

Generally, I'd be with you here. As it happens in this case though, I've got the week of the 8th of March on annual leave, so I got unexpectedly lucky here with this switch. Off the top of my head, the Saturday that week is a UFC ppv I think. It's strange that AEW would move to that weekend, but they must feel they need the extra week or two. 

42 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Ah what??? That’s really shit. It’s bloody hard for me to watch a PPV on a Monday. 

Fingers crossed this is a one off and they don't start making a habit out of it. As already mentioned, waking up and watching Sunday morning in bed is a hell of a lot more appealing than going to work on Monday, avoiding all spoilers and trying to to cram a 3 hour PPV plus finding the time to cook and eat dinner into a Monday evening.