DavidB6937 Posted January 22, 2021 Posted January 22, 2021 30 minutes ago, Yakashi said: Well to be fair it’s pretty much the same crowd every week that have seen him. There’s only so many wrestling fans in Jacksonville that will pay money every week to watch a wrestling show that’s on tv for free during a pandemic. It's even getting boring watching it from home though. He can't just come out and do that week on week. AEW are usually good at keeping things moving. No doubt he'll get nostalgia pops in front of live crowds but they'll want to avoid it being too samey and predictable. Will be interesting to see how the match goes.
d-d-d-dAz Posted January 22, 2021 Posted January 22, 2021 (edited) The fella that fought Moxley had a better look than most of the roster, and a more interesting backstory than a lot of them. Edited January 22, 2021 by d-d-d-dAz
The Cutting Edge Posted January 22, 2021 Posted January 22, 2021 10 hours ago, Yakashi said: Well to be fair it’s pretty much the same crowd every week that have seen him. There’s only so many wrestling fans in Jacksonville that will pay money every week to watch a wrestling show that’s on tv for free during a pandemic. But most of the other guys are still getting a good reaction. I said in a previous post that Sting will be more affective for the company when they can tour so there's the novelty seeing him live even if he's limited in what he does
Guest Posted January 22, 2021 Posted January 22, 2021 That match being at Darbys compound, being shot is his style would have appealed Much more to me
Paid Members Chris B Posted January 22, 2021 Paid Members Posted January 22, 2021 With a better main event, I think this would have been a significantly more highly-regarded show. The entire opening sequence was fantastic ('HE SAID YES' genuinely made me laugh out loud). The Young Boy/Butler stuff with Miro, Chuck and Cassidy is fun (the serious way Chuck and Cass treated it was hilarious), even if I'd like to see Miro move on, and the women's match was good - I like both Hirsch and Ford. The Private Party heel turn was fine and felt fresh. Mox continues to be great. I'm not sure where they're going with the Bucks, but I like the basic idea that they're easily led and have ended up in no-man's land. The painting of Callis and Omega was hysterical. It was a shame Omega wasn't there for more than backstage segments. The main was what it was - it was fun, but I just didn't care.
Paid Members unfitfinlay Posted January 22, 2021 Paid Members Posted January 22, 2021 If you'd told me a year ago I'd be this desperate for Hangman to join the Dark Order, I'd have pissed myself laughing. I'm actually more excited about this than him beating Omega at the moment. I'm going to jump out of my chair when it actually happens. They all work so well together that that opening segment was pretty much perfect.....and it had fucking Luthor in it! Hangman and his REAL mates going after Omega and "The Band" should be absolute gold. The only thing I really disliked on the show was Cody's stuff. It's not even BAD exactly just really dull and the story with Shaq doesn't seem to going anywhere, or even be fully explained. I can't say I'm particularly bothered about Shaq wrestling anyway. It was last week but I'm glad they came up with some explanation for Matt Hardy's sudden character change and heel turn. Private Party turning makes sense for them as well, and it's a lot more interesting than a feud with Hardy would be. I agree with everybody about Jericho needing to put the Lionsault to rest. Genuinely thought he was going to break his neck there.
Paid Members DEF Posted January 22, 2021 Paid Members Posted January 22, 2021 This week was a bit of a clusterfuck but an enjoyable one none the less. That opening segment had me buzzing more than I ever thought possible. I'm desperate for Hangman to do an Austin style superhero run in save for the Dark Order. Trouble with that is you would need an even bigger group of crazy high profile heels to put them in real jeopardy. It would have to be a (fully heel) Elite/Impact Club doing it. Just imagine the DO all battered to death with blood pouring down John Silver's terrified face then out comes the sexy cowboy to save the day. The main event was good fun but I nearly cacked myself when Jericho miss timed/bodged the lionsault. There's no need for him to even consider doing that anymore.
CavemanLynn Posted January 23, 2021 Posted January 23, 2021 "Adam! Adam! You're so good, you're so good at wrestling, you're so good, and you're really handsome, and you have really nice hair, and I really like you a lot." John Silver speaking for all of us there. "My birthday was three days ago, you dumb idiots" absolutely did me.
Guest Posted January 23, 2021 Posted January 23, 2021 I have a weekly convo with a mate after each show about us just wanting Hangman to be happy. This emotionally broken man that everyone bar him can see how great he is doesn’t fit the template of what top good guys are meant to be. They are typically aspirational figures, or superhero esq. that moment where he clicks and believes and has friends again should be in front of masses of people. It would have mass tears across the crowd. I wanna see cocky Omega doing the triple H face when cactus Jack was facing him at the rumble, I want fear that the guy they tried to make weak is ready to destroy him. It’s just so fucking good to have a wrestler properly make me feel something and be really invested
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted January 23, 2021 Awards Moderator Posted January 23, 2021 Thought that was a really weak show, apart from Hangman’s amazing stage dive and Hirsch-Ford which was much more decent than I’d expected. At a push, Matt Sydal’s tights were cool. Moxley and Rhodes both looked terrible going toe to toe with nobody jobbers. Top Flight and Private Party shouldn’t have been in there against each other for so much of their match. You could have swapped this week’s Sting/Allin/Taz segment with any of the previous two months’ worth and I wouldn’t have noticed, they all feel like the same thing. A lot more not-good than good for me this week.
Paid Members unfitfinlay Posted January 23, 2021 Paid Members Posted January 23, 2021 17 hours ago, DEF said: This week was a bit of a clusterfuck but an enjoyable one none the less. That opening segment had me buzzing more than I ever thought possible. I'm desperate for Hangman to do an Austin style superhero run in save for the Dark Order. Trouble with that is you would need an even bigger group of crazy high profile heels to put them in real jeopardy. It would have to be a (fully heel) Elite/Impact Club doing it. Just imagine the DO all battered to death with blood pouring down John Silver's terrified face then out comes the sexy cowboy to save the day. Not necessarily. Like everything else in wrestling, you could just stick Eddie Kingston in that role and he'd make it work.
mrtrickio Posted January 23, 2021 Posted January 23, 2021 https://www.shopaew.com/kenny-omega-don-callis-beefcakes-poster.html ?
wordsfromlee Posted January 23, 2021 Posted January 23, 2021 If Taz and his crew hadn't interrupted, what would have been the purpose of the Sting & Allin segment? I know it was just a way to have another exchange between Taz and Sting/Allin, but in kayfabe they booked a segment of the show for Sting to congratulate Allin on winning a title nearly three months ago? Couldn't they have come up with a better excuse to have them in the ring again? Loved Page's dive off the stage and -1 is surprisingly good for a kid. The matches - especially Cody's and the Private Party/Top Flight tag - were very sloppy this week. Lots of silly little mistakes which really bring the matches to a halt.
The King Of Swing Posted January 23, 2021 Posted January 23, 2021 As long as his -1 and his mother are happy I wouldn't mind if they just let him piss about on Dark now and again. Agree this weak was pretty weak overall. Didn't hate anything but pretty meh for the most part.
Paid Members Supremo Posted January 23, 2021 Paid Members Posted January 23, 2021 (edited) The, “HE SAID YES,” thing is one of the best intentional bits of comedy from any promotion in forever. I can’t believe what a success story Dark Order have become. It might be daft to say but John Silver reminds me tonnes of Kurt Angle. One of the few guys who can absolutely nail comedy, wildly entertaining, yet feels completely legitimate and can look like a killer in the ring. Silver’s comebacks when he starts going a million miles an hour are incredible. Honestly, there’s a huge TV main event to be had giving him a title shot against Omega. This week’s show was one of JR’s worst. He had that piss-taking tone all night long. I know the Chuck Taylor thing is hardly Shakespeare, but fucking hell Jim. At least play along. The way he was undermining the whole thing doing that dickhead voice when Chuck was made to say Miro was his new best friend was infuriating. And don’t get me started on the shitty Picture in Picture thing. The way he often mocks what’s happening and acts likes he’s above it all, you’d think this was the JR of 1998 or something. It’s 2021, he hasn’t made a good call in forever, he’s completely disposable and from Don Callis to Tazz to Schiavone to Kingston to Jericho practically everyone who sits at the desk does a better job and completely shows him up. The next time he goes that, “I think this is stupid so I’m gonna take the piss,” voice I’d be sacking him on the spot. Any guesses on the Revolution card? I’m assuming Good Brothers vs. Young Bucks? Maybe an Omega vs. Mox rematch? Edited January 23, 2021 by Supremo
Recommended Posts