The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

38 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

The Dark Order segment this week was really bad imo, time to tone it down. 

I'm trying to figure out what was worse about it. They've been way more OTT in the last few months, it wasn't as funny, but it seemed like it was building to some sleepover skit that could be really great once they figure out where they go with the skits. I guess the tease of knowing Brodie was going to one day march in with some papers and spoil their fun was always going to be a thing but now they have to figure out where the skits purpose are now.

It's a million times better than The Young Bucks trying to not look like either utter dicks or the mates of the bigger cunts in school and failing badly at it. I knew so little about the Bucks before AEW and I'd met and worked with them and they seemed alright, but christ they are woeful in their skits, and have been for about a year. Gallows also seems incapable to being funny when he's not Sex Ferguson either. He and Anderson felt like people I'd loathe to be trapped at a party with, if that was the intention, it was a success for me.

Kris Statlander randomly abducting people can carry on for as long they wish too, it's so throwaway and odd I quite enjoy it.

I like Luchasaurus, I think he's great fun to watch and his look is such a good action figure when it comes out, but god he reminds me of 'that guy' sometimes in his social interactions on BTE and elsewhere. Nothing offensive or he said something controversial, just the vibe off him. I dunno.

Time stamped for anyone who wants to check it out but the had Brodie's kid on commentary for a few matches on DARK last night.

You'd expect a 9 year old to be a fucking nightmare on commentary given actual professionals have a hard time expressing themselves on the desk, but christ alive, he's piss funny. Actually called the action, told Excalibur to shut up, kayfabed it with Taz. I hope he's dead successful in whatever he wants to do with his life. 

• Paid Members

Was just coming in to post that -1 can be added to the ever-growing list of people better at commentary than modern day Jim Ross. Him making Taz laugh was better than anything JR has ever done in AEW.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I know Ross is a nightmare these days but there are some things he says with authority, like whenever he refers to "The incomparable Jon Moxley", that no-one else currently projects. Every now and again, you realise what he could be but it's just not there anymore.

• Paid Members

Genuinely makes me think a spin-off show with kids as managers etc could work. The inherent silliness of wrestling, the elements of dress-up and pretend fighting, but with an added element of it basically being kids playing with action figures, but for real. Like wrestling-based Pokemon.

We tend to take wrestling so seriously, that if AEW were to do a wholesome show aimed directly at kids, with people like the Dark Order, Luchasaurus, Luther, etc, it could be sort-of revolutionary. The kids getting kayfabe so much could be great.

I mean, obviously with the history of wrestling, it'd all descend into horrific scandal. But handled well and professionally, I really think there could be something there.

• Paid Members

They tested a kid’s version of NXT once, didn’t they? A Brodie Lee Junior YouTube show with kids as managers and guest commentators would be great. Exactly what this business needs to attract some younger fans, too. The amount of views some of the shit my four year old watches on YouTube, it feels like a no-brainier.

Edited by Supremo

12 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Genuinely makes me think a spin-off show with kids as managers etc could work. The inherent silliness of wrestling, the elements of dress-up and pretend fighting, but with an added element of it basically being kids playing with action figures, but for real. Like wrestling-based Pokemon.

We tend to take wrestling so seriously, that if AEW were to do a wholesome show aimed directly at kids, with people like the Dark Order, Luchasaurus, Luther, etc, it could be sort-of revolutionary. The kids getting kayfabe so much could be great.

I mean, obviously with the history of wrestling, it'd all descend into horrific scandal. But handled well and professionally, I really think there could be something there.

Basically a bigger budget version of this? 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Basically a bigger budget version of this? 

Going to watch that properly (I like the channel and haven't seen that one). But it looks like they had the kids wrestling, which wouldn't work at all. I'm thinking, much like Negative 1 and 10, it'd be kids basically managing their favourite wrestlers. And, because it's kids, you're not going for the Cody Rhodes, etc - you're going for the low-level ones. Like how one of my first favourite wrestlers was Repo Man. 

Just now, Vamp said:

Not sure it'd be worth the psychological torment that would result from the "PG sucks" wrestling fans bashing it on social media. 

It's also just a bit of fantasy booking chat. But yeah, there is already weird criticism aimed at him because 'We honoured his dad, it's time to move on'.

Which they have anyway, but the family are regular guests and bloody well should be. If that means -1 occasionally drops in on DARK, I'd be delighted by that, the confidence on him. I'd have loved to be that when I wasn't in double figures.

• Paid Members

I don't think it even needs to be kids managing wrestlers or anything as overt as that - if they had -1 fronting a YouTube show more modelled on kid-friendly "YouTubers" than on traditional wrestling formats, that could be a great hook to a young audience.

• Paid Members

Excalibur: He's standing on top of the desk, Taz.

Negative 1: Be quiet!

Excalibur: Ok.

I think a YouTube show aimed at kids is a really good idea. Could be more of a game show type format. Kids on each week paired up with a few wrestlers competing in tasks then finish off with a match. Keep it all separate from the main "canon" TV and use it to highlight wrestlers lower down the card. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Vamp said:

Not sure it'd be worth the psychological torment that would result from the "PG sucks" wrestling fans bashing it on social media. 

The continual knocking of 'PG' programming is having a pop at the wrong target though isn't it?

Mid to late 90's WCW was always PG and the WWF's golden age was most certainly PG, if not specifically targeted towards kids.

What people really mean by 'PG sux" is the dramatic shift in presentation over recent years. As I said in another thread, to this day you could easily have a wrestling show consisting of nothing but short and sharp matches, cool characters/entrances, slick promos with everyone involved in some kind of storyline within the confines of a PG product. 

It isn't a requisite for Steve Austin to come out and call everyone a cunt three times per show.

It was their decision for everyone to go down the "I'm a better technical wrestler than you" route.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Jesus, a less charismatic Dolph Ziggler, as if such a thing were possible. At least Page might actually squash him. Should have stuck him in there with Cody. He'd get 25 minutes across 2 commercial breaks and made to look like the hottest wrestler in the world that way. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz