The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

The weirdest thing about Australian Suicide (beside, you know, the name) is Excalibur banging on about him using the llave style. He doesn't. I can't imagine anyone in AEW particularly wants him to.

I don't even remember him using that style in Mexico, although admittedly I've only ever seen his AAA matches. I certainly can't imagine he's ever used that style while teaming with Jack Evans. 

Its just strange. 

• Paid Members

I've only seen the opening segment so far, but my god, if a year ago you had told me that I would be smiling my head off and laughing at a Dark Order segment, I would have told you to stop doing drugs. They are such a funny, feel good team and not just for the stuff they are doing for Brodie Jr. John Silver is the best baby face in wrestling right now and Preston Vance needs a big push.

I rolled my eyes at Luther turning up, but he was the perfect cartoon heel for the cake spot and for -1 to get his revenge on. Still don't need Jack Evans and Luther in the same match though.

Speaking of -1, what a horrible, exploitive lot AEW are (sarcasm) making a young lads birthday as special as they can by having the whole arena singing Happy Birthday to him. Nothing will have been as good as having his dad with him, but AEW have certainly made it as good as it could be for him so in no way should they ever be accused of exploitation. He could accompany Dark Order every week for my liking if it keeps the family happy.

Hangman's dive from the ramp was fantastic, what a star he is. Brilliant twist in the story with Hangman self sabotaging himself as he didn't want to trust a group again after saying how much fun he had been having, how sympathetic is he as a character. Top marks.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

A few times I've seen comments in here saying that week's episode was the weakest yet but I've always enjoyed them. This week is that week for me. Cody and Mox getting taken to the limit by jobbers, a really weak card and boring backstage segments. The only thing worth watching this week is the Dark Order opening (HE SAID YES!) and the Kenny/Callis/Bucks segments.

I'd have to agree - I went in with low expectations and I still managed to be quite disappointed by the majority.

The thing is at least when AEW has a 'bad' week (and I do use that term loosely), it's a little frustrating but certainly not enough to turn off or anything because you know it's going to get better. When I watch RAW and it has a bad week - well, that's pretty standard these days. At least AEW always has that element of hope and potential.

I want Orange Cassidy laissez faire style slowly popping out of a cake. I like where that angle is going now. The fact that it's obvious the wedding will be absolutely ruined by OC and Taylor as the obvious inside man because the heels are so goofy and full of their own shit they don't see it coming is fun to me. Miro to win the feud over Cassidy at Revolution I call it, Miro then goes off to do a bigger angle.

• Paid Members

I'm liking how they seem to continuously push that Cody's own ego and lack of focus keeps nearly or does cost him. Bragging he'd win in a minute and then nearly losing through sheer stupidity that hearing music can distract him long enough.

You get the idea that eventually Arn is gonna turn on him as well, I'm not sure who he'd manage though, purely through just growing board of giving Cody advice and him still making stupid errors despite being a 'veteran'. Maybe Miro? Would be good to see Arn in his corner telling him that he used to be a killer until he started doing all this dumb stuff and it's holding him back.

13 hours ago, Chili said:

I do love the enhancement crew with gimmicks or unique looks. Nick Comorato has a great look. Like a WWE All Stars render of Hercules Hernandez. Taz thinks he looks like a caveman. 

I'm happy to have Alex Gracia on every week so long as I get her sweet Franz Ferdinand rip theme. 

AEW Muisc guy: "So Alex, what are your two favourite songs. 

Alex: "The Immigrant Song and Take Me Out" 

AEW Music guy: 🤔

• Paid Members

As a human being? Chris Jericho is undoubtedly a stupid MAGA knobhead. But as a performer? I still rate him and think he’s got a lot to offer.

Fuck me though. That Lionsault. Either get in shape or remove it from your move set, tubby.

• Paid Members

Some good stuff this week but more bad than good overall I think.

The Good

- everything from the entire opening segment was perfect pro wrestling. Exciting, funny, heartwarming and heartbreaking. Poor Hangman, the most likeable and sympathetic character in wrestling. Really, really hope this isn't the end of this story. I want that feel good moment of Hangman and John Silver hugging it out.

- I enjoyed nearly all the backstage stuff throughout the show. Don Callis attempting to pay off the Bucks to not be friends with Kenny any more was gold.

- Solid Moxley match and promo.

- Enjoyed Miro's bullying and humiliation of Charles Taylor. Chuck is playing the role really well. Am I right in thinking he's only a butler till Beach Break? I feel like they could drag this butler thing out longer.

- Some great outfits. Omega and Miro looked absolutely ridiculous but in the good way and Private Party getting proper matching gear is a step up.

The Bad

- Cody Rhodes hasn't done anything good since the Dog Collar match. In fact I'd say he's currently the worst thing on the show pretty much every week. What the fuck happened with him? Used to be cutting the best babyface promos in the business, now he's going 15 minutes with Peter Avalon and getting kicked in the balls.

- AEW has some promising women wrestlers but they shouldn't be having matches longer than 4-5 minutes until they've got more experience. Outside of their main spots they tend to look confused and muddled. Why not just keep the matches short and sweet, get their shit in and call it a day? The womens tournament is going to be very painful. Especially in comparison to the Mae Young Classic which will probably be very good.

- Seemed to be some weird moments of dead air at various points of the show between matches/promos. JR sounded like he was drunk all night.

- Team Taz need to get rid of Hook. He looks about 13 years old. Feels like "Bring your kid to work Day" when he's onscreen. Quite keen for this feud with Allin/Sting to end now. Allin's line "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it" was lame. Just say "You're on!" or whatever. Also with no time for the street fight (I'm assuming a cinematic match to protect Sting) announced the angle felt a bit pointless.

- That six man was the shits and a good example of the worst aspects of the current highspot-based indie style. I think Top Flight probably have more potential upside than Private Party do too but both teams need a lot of work.

- That main event was really weird. If the Inner Circle are going to be facing off it should be as a result of them splitting up or something similar. The story behind this match just felt a bit off. Plus you've got three heel teams fighting for a vague reward - why can't they ALL go for the tag titles? I love Jericho but the end of his in ring days is clearly coming. He's just not fast enough to keep up with the younger guys. If he's wrestling he needs to slow the match down to his pace, use as much character and gimmick stuff as possible and it'll be a good match. If he's trying to go at the pace of a Sammy Guevara the match is going to fall apart a bit. He looked like shit out there and nearly fucking killed himself on the moonsault.

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

The thing is at least when AEW has a 'bad' week (and I do use that term loosely), it's a little frustrating but certainly not enough to turn off or anything because you know it's going to get better. When I watch RAW and it has a bad week - well, that's pretty standard these days. At least AEW always has that element of hope and potential.

I totally agree. The Dark Order segment was brilliant fun, but outside of that the show felt a bit messy. The Bucks/Omega stuff was really odd. Matt and Nick Jackson are really difficult to like and I don't quite understand what they think they're going for with their characters. The way they spoke to Alex Marvez ("what are you doing here, you douchebag?") made them feel like bullies. Which is fine if that's what you're going for. But that doesn't seem to be the case, it seems like they're trying to have an "edge". But it's not really working for me.

I'm assuming a six man tag where they team up with Moxley against Omega and The Good Brothers is in their future, but honestly, at this point I'd prefer to see Moxley turn around smash the fuck out of The Bucks rather than do anything to Omega. 

The six man tag was messy and there were also a few awkward moments in the women's match (although that bout was decent, both have a lot of potential) - the Miro/Taylor/Cassidy stuff is abysmal though, among the worst stuff AEW has ever done. It's Nightmare Collective levels of bad. Just end this fucking story already and do something else with Miro.

...back to the opening segment though. I really like the idea of The Dark Order helping Page learn to trust people again. They're so much fun, and it's impossible not to love them at this point. Silver & Reynolds winning the tag titles from a heel Young Bucks has the potential to be one of the biggest feel good moments of 2021. 

I feel a little bit sorry for Uno and Grayson though, they very much feel like the B team in that group now. 

34 minutes ago, Supremo said:

As a human being? Chris Jericho is undoubtedly a stupid MAGA knobhead. But as a performer? I still rate him and think he’s got a lot to offer.

Fuck me though. That Lionsault. Either get in shape or remove it from your move set, tubby.

That was painful to watch, He could've easily broken his neck on that.

It's easy to have a laugh at the rock star image that he's portraying but when it starts causing problems like that then yeah, either change things up a bit or exercise more. I guess it depends on what he feels is most important at this point in his career.

36 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It was weird but I think he had a step less to set up as he didn't run at all and seemed to just chance it. Made it, but fucking hell Jericho know your place a bit. That match was actually dead good, Hagar is what he is, but that boot, the angle and Jericho taking a fast tree bump were wonderfully timed. 

I know Luther is absolutely bloody awful but even I got a kick out of him and Serpentico as panto comic baddies for -1. Luther straight face cutting a promo about a kid calling him stupid and ruining his birthday was quite amusing. For absurdist humour everyone in the Dark Order orbit seems to get a fun shine.

Edited by Chili

10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

- Cody Rhodes hasn't done anything good since the Dog Collar match. In fact I'd say he's currently the worst thing on the show pretty much every week. What the fuck happened with him? Used to be cutting the best babyface promos in the business, now he's going 15 minutes with Peter Avalon and getting kicked in the balls.

I do wonder if there's a bit of the 'early AEW Omega' type deal here with Cody in that he's a part of the company and struggling to find that balance between over and under pushing himself. It feels like Kenny in reverse really. As you say, Cody has managed to capture a pure babyface role perfectly in the past and slowly over time there's been something lost there. At least with Kenny you look back and feel like things took a natural and logical progression, but with Cody I just don't get what they're trying to do right now. It's all very muddled.

• Paid Members

The Jericho thing reminds me of Kassius Ohno. I’ve no problem with guys putting weight on, everyone having the same physique just adds to the identikit problem in the business today, but if you’re gonna smash in the sausage rolls you can’t still be doing lucha spots. I think it was Kassius Ohno vs. Velveteen Dream where Ohno was still trying to wrestle like a cruiserweight and ended up falling over and nearly killing himself. Same deal here with Jericho.

With Cody, I get the sense he’s treading water until the inevitable Omega feud over the Title. Ideally, they’ll get a more substantial crowd before they pull the trigger on that. Cody’s one of the guys who suffers the most from not having a proper crowd. Super heel Omega vs. white meat babyface Cody sounds like a banging headliner for a PPV later this year once enough people are vaccinated.

Edited by Supremo