The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Opening segment was pretty much flawless, even Hangman nearly collapsing under the weight of Silver and Reynolds. And given that next week Dark Order are taking on the Bucks and Good Brothers, I think it's fairly likely that Hangman will end up involved somewhere in that match. Either turning completely heel and rejoining his old mates in Bullet Club or complete his transformation into the new leader of Dark Order. The hand gestures will be involved somewhere. Too Sweet into the Dark Order hand or the other way round.

Team Taz & Darby/Sting has gone on long enough now. Doesn't matter what Taz has done, Darby has ended victorious. It's becoming tiresome now. But at least we didn't get Taz saying "we're going extreme" and Tommy Dreamer or Sandman turns up to join Team Taz. The whole Darby Allin doesn't trust anybody thing has lost it's meaning now as he's walking around with Sting. And the TNT Title seems to be completely forgotten about altogether. But the impending street fight will no doubt give us another example of Darby willing to kill himself, Sting to save the day with his baseball bat like he was over twenty years ago and Team Taz to lose once again.

The segments involving the Bucks/Callis/Kenny were good enough. We all know the Bucks didn't really lay a finger on Callis though, he's just saying it to turn Kenny against them because god for fucking bid they actually turn the Bucks full on heel. It's been the same problem with them since AEW started really. They're not suited to being babyfaces. Turn heel and play to your strengths. Kenny has and he's showing why people considered him the best thing in the business for so long. The six man of Kenny, Gallows & Anderson against Mox, Pac and Fenix should be good and should be interesting to see the relationship between Mox & Pac more than anything.

Speaking of Mox, his post-match promo was every bit as good as we've come to expect from him now but his match with the caveman would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't against Mox. The caveman fella looked good and looked different to most of the AEW roster but he shouldn't be taking their longest-reigning champion to the wire like that. And in a similar vein, Cody's match with Avalon (can he get Roxy Music's song as his theme) was the same old shit we've seen from Cody for too long now. It also continued the pointless feud between himself and Cargill and we got told he's gonna respond to Shaq's comments just in case we had any hope that that part of the feud has gone away.

Kingston cut his least memorable moment on the mic to date. Then Lance Archer turned up. Then Jake. And that's another feud that just needs to end. The Butcher looked fucking boss though.

Sydal & Top Flight v Hardy & Private Party is something I could have done without. And they're turning Private Party heel just before their tag team match against the Good Brothers, that heel tag team from Impact. Please don't let this mean that Hardy is gonna be Kenny's next feud. The match was messy and a lot of the moves didn't hit at all (a theme for most of the night) but I think there's plenty of potential in both tag teams, they just need to tone down the offence. Take an extra second to perfect a move rather than going full throttle and making it look piss-poor. Private Party as a heel team could be fun. JR telling us all Matt Hardy is going to expand his "organisation" doesn't fill me joy though. I think this may have been the first episode that Hardy has been on that they didn't mention "his brother" though, so that's a start.

The Penelope/Leyla match was alright. Had the usual patronising from the commentary (something that they painfully do with Aubrey Edwards every time she referees a match as well - main event on last nights show another example) and the usual picture-in-picture for the majority of the match. But a decent enough match. The feud between Miro/Kip and Best Friends has dragged it's feet but at least it looks like it's reaching it's climax with the wedding in a fortnight. Miro was perfect as the bully after the match.

Inner Circle stuff was good, Sammy would get some of the biggest cheers of the night in full arenas. And I'm disappointed in the outcome of the match. For me Proud & Powerful should have won it to prove they are the tag team of the Inner Circle. That's what they declared themselves as last week and now look like dickheads because they aren't, even with the screwy finish. The match in general was ok, Jericho's death defying lionsault apart. Again there was one or two moves that got nowhere near the intended result but overall ok. Sammy was the standout. Hager did what he should be doing, which is kicking arse in small bursts. Santana and Ortiz were clearly the best tag team in the match but also clearly the least likely to win. And MJF steals another victory.

Overall not one of their best shows although the good bits were still very good, the majority of it felt like we'd already seen it.

I assume triple-threat tags are one of the hardest match types to work in, so even if it was weird and clunky in parts, I didn't mind. It's strange to see them all smacking and booting each other in the face though, we don't often get groups so willing to kick the fuck into each other on a regular basis in actual matches.

That opening match and segment though, it was wonderful. Laughed my ass off, smiled, cheered, was a little upset and curious at the end - just great stuff. Don Callis again was a great prick.

• Paid Members

The wide eyed incredibly enthusiastic innocence and positivity of John Silver is absolutely fantastic and the perfect character to interact with the lonely, sad cowboy Page. Just absolutely brilliant stuff. The early, cut off celebrations was one of the funniest wrestling moments in ages.

• Paid Members

No idea what was going on with that Cody match. The announcers were clearly trying to put Avalon over, Cody underestimated him etc, but he didn't! He beat him in 10 seconds with the cross rhodes. The only reason the match continued is because Cody hasn't shaken off his WWE stupidity and gets distracted by music and then gets punted in the balls. And the finish was atrocious too. Absolutely terrible.

Otherwise I enjoyed the show. The -1 one stuff was lovely for the family, although probably a bit bizarre if you're watching for the first time. Some progression on the Miro/Best Friends stuff, but the sooner Miro gets away from Kip Sabian the better.

We're presumably getting an Omega Mox rematch, which sounds great, but I don't know where he goes from there. Archer, maybe?

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Super heel Omega vs. white meat babyface Cody sounds like a banging headliner for a PPV later this year once enough people are vaccinated.

Lest we forget, Cody isn't allowed to challenge for the title. If he breaks that stip as a babyface, he's sunk before he starts.

5 minutes ago, Duke said:

Lest we forget, Cody isn't allowed to challenge for the title. If he breaks that stip as a babyface, he's sunk before he starts.

Chickenshit heel omega going belt collector, teasing cody who ends up taking either the impact or nwa or aaa title off him starting the downfall that leads to page smashing him for the aew title is a nice little story........ 

Jericho needs to change up his ring style, he needs to accept that he's a 50 year old man and can't keep up with kids half his age who are 10x the athlete he ever was...... 

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Hopefully Darby taking all the bumps there or Sting will be more fucked than when he faced Rollins.

In the match Sting should only work with Starks, not saying Cage is dangerous but he's a big guy that's all dodgy looking power moves and clotheslines, Ricky can bump and make him look the part

40 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Probably but surely they'll want the crowd do see him wrestle instead of just standing and pointing, his pops are already getting less by the week 

Well to be fair it’s pretty much the same crowd every week that have seen him. There’s only so many wrestling fans in Jacksonville that will pay money every week to watch a wrestling show that’s on tv for free during a pandemic.