The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
On 1/20/2021 at 7:09 PM, Merzbow said:

Is M'Badu still around? He was a boss, his gimmick was just that he's Nigerian but that's enough for me.

Incase you haven't watched Dark this week, M'Badu is back! Teaming up with everyone's favourite Tyson Kidd cosplayer.

32 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It looks like Elayna Black who was recently on AEW Dark a few times has been snapped up by WWE, hasn't this happened before with young promising women?

It feels like they're aiming right at AEWs weak spot.

Difficult to say if they're deliberately targeting AEW's weak spot or if NXT simply has a better womens division and they're doing a far better job at attracting female talent.

If I was a guy and had the choice between WWE/AEW then it'd be a tough choice, but if I'm female? I guess you could argue that anyone signing with AEW has a good chance to shine because there's not much going on there at the moment, but NXT's proven track record with women is probably a strong factor in so many going there. 

• Paid Members

Another brilliant promo from Moxley this week. I love the pre-taped promos, but he annoys the crap out of me with his in ring ones doing the Dean Ambrose crazy swagger. His promos always deliver in quality though.

Speaking of promos, Darby and Stings promos about being 'hoodlums' made me chuckle. Mainly because it reminded me of Bottom when Richie is talking about being naughty in the bedroom:

'Oh you're not wrong there. You name it - swearing, doodling on the walls. I've flicked the 'v's out of that window more times than I care to remember'

Jerichos smirk at the camera after the Lionsault was a great touch. 

Edited by Nick James

AEW needs to shuffle the deck pretty drastically as far as feuds go, there are far too many storylines that are just plain bad right now.

The thought of that Cody/Cargill/Shaq debacle continuing on until March is deflating. This storyline hasn’t clicked at any point. Why does Shawn care about getting his hands on Cody? What exactly has Cody done to him, who am I supposed to be rooting for? It’s a complete mess.

The Miro/Kip/Best Friends story is similar. There’s nothing about it that has worked at any stage. Right from its shitty gaming-related origins to the utter stupidity of Chuck Taylor agreeing to a stipulation that came out of absolutely nowhere and was of no benefit to him. 

The Sting/Darby vs Team Tazz story does nothing for me and the standard of that promo makes me thing that Darby is better off as a solo act producing avant-garde videos to build up his feuds.

Finally, the Omega/Moxley storyline is being over-complicated and dragged down by The Bucks and Good Brothers. The Bucks should be part of a stable with him, they’re even less likeable than Kenny is. 

The one positive I can take from all of this is that I’m not sure there’s going to be even one match that I want to watch on Revolution, so I can live with it being on a Sunday night.

The gap from last ppv of the year to first of the next proving far too long again in terms of stories, need a shift or a big tv special to build to in December/early January to break it up. Stories being made to last 3/4 months with no pay off will always drag. We have seen far too much inner circle dissent, sting/darby/taz for any of these stories to carry any heat. We still have 5 weeks till the ppv and is that really gonna heat anything up? 

32 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

AEW needs to shuffle the deck pretty drastically as far as feuds go, there are far too many storylines that are just plain bad right now.

The thought of that Cody/Cargill/Shaq debacle continuing on until March is deflating. This storyline hasn’t clicked at any point. Why does Shawn care about getting his hands on Cody? What exactly has Cody done to him, who am I supposed to be rooting for? It’s a complete mess.

The Miro/Kip/Best Friends story is similar. There’s nothing about it that has worked at any stage. Right from its shitty gaming-related origins to the utter stupidity of Chuck Taylor agreeing to a stipulation that came out of absolutely nowhere and was of no benefit to him. 

The Sting/Darby vs Team Tazz story does nothing for me and the standard of that promo makes me thing that Darby is better off as a solo act producing avant-garde videos to build up his feuds.

Finally, the Omega/Moxley storyline is being over-complicated and dragged down by The Bucks and Good Brothers. The Bucks should be part of a stable with him, they’re even less likeable than Kenny is. 

The one positive I can take from all of this is that I’m not sure there’s going to be even one match that I want to watch on Revolution, so I can live with it being on a Sunday night.

How is it a good thing that the product you seem to like is producing nothing you want to see? What did you enjoy?

EDIT: Referring to the Revolution card.

Edited by Chili

16 minutes ago, Chili said:

How is it a good thing that the product you seem to like is producing nothing you want to see? What did you enjoy?

With it being on a Sunday rather than a Saturday it automatically becomes harder to watch. Ordinarily there are a lot of matches I'd like to see on AEW PPVs, so the switch of day should be pretty disappointing. If I don't actually care about the bulk of what's on offer there's less reason to be bothered if I can't fit it into my Monday.

Edited by RedRooster

17 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

With it being on a Sunday rather than a Saturday it automatically becomes harder to watch. Ordinarily there are a lot of matches I'd like to see on AEW PPVs, so the switch of day would be pretty disappointing. If I don't actually care about the bulk of what's on offer it's far less disappointing for me if I don't have time to watch it. 

Just clocked it's on Sunday actually, first time I've noticed that, fair enough on that then. 

• Paid Members

Sorry if I have missed a part of the storyline, but the Bucks / Good Brothers thing is lost on me at the moment. Two weeks ago the Bucks were shafted out of their match and replaced by TGB, then last week they were mugged off at Kenny's house by Callis who has TGB in his pocket, yet this week they seemed like best mates again.

• Paid Members

I thought it was an ok show. There's definitely too long between PPV's though. ECW used to do six a year, I think AEW should do that. 8 weeks of build is more than enough. There's so much time between PPV's it feels like they have to tread water sometimes just to keep things going. There's 5 weeks of television left till Revolution - how are they going to keep the Team Taz/Sting & Allin feud going till then?

The Good

- Opening match and angle was fun. Kingston is a very, very good professional wrestler. That chokeslam on the apron was brutal. And Archer slamming Kingston head first into the camera was ace.

- Another strong Mox promo. Impossible not to like this guy.

- Jericho/MJF tag was a good match. Everything MJF does in the ring is cheap shots, sneak attacks, cheating. All heel stuff. He gives you nothing to cheer. I love him. His feud with Sammy is growing nicely and makes perfect sense. MJF has essentially replaced Sammy as Jericho's best friend while charming the rest of the Inner Circle and Sammy is having none of it. Looking forward to this blowing up.

- Jericho absolutely proving a point with a beautiful Lionsault. 

- Hangman Adam Page accompanied by crippling emotional baggage.

- Hangman winning. Not a fan of Matt Hardy most the time but he got over Page's current mindset well and I liked that Page is seen as a hot property that all the stables want to recruit.

- Jungle Boy vs Dax was a really great match. Loved it. Jungle Boy is a hell of a talent. It's a shame Luchasaurus is a bit shit in the ring otherwise I'd put the straps on them ASAP. Great storytelling that once you take away the opportunity for Tully to cheat that the Jurassic Express can beat FTR and great stuff with Tully and Cash sneak attacking both the first second they can.

- Baker and Rebel are a brilliant and complete act. Baker is cowardly and nasty in the way a heel should be and Rebel is so fucking annoying at ringside, cackling like an idiot, you have to love it. The womens division needs to be built around their act.

- Team Taz fucking up scrubs in the parking lot and Cage hitting the Nash style lawn dart into the side of the truck is exactly the stuff I love.

- Fun main event. Dark Order looked strong even in defeat. Silver going mental was ace. I'd love to see him in a singles match against Gallows.

- Fenix ending the night with a fucking insane dive and landing in a perfect sitting position on the guard rail. *chefs kiss*

The Bad

- Sting and Allin breaking windows for some reason.

- Dolph Ziggler's brother is one of the worst professional wrestlers I've ever seen. He does everything like a Brian Dixon All-Star WWF tribute show version of Ziggler. And normal Ziggler is shit enough. I can only assume he was on this show because Cody is mates with him or owes Dolph a favor.

- Everything Cody and anyone who interacts with him does. WHAT THE FUCK IS ALL THIS SHIT?!

- "She said bitch ass. That means she's serious!" If JR doesn't like something I don't know why he can't just be quiet instead of being a snarky twat.

- Hook needs to wear a bandana or something because he has the most unthreatening face of anyone in wrestling. Is he even 18 years old?

- This Bucks/Good Brothers/Omega stuff might be more interesting if the Bucks knew how to be babyfaces. They wrestle like babyfaces put as soon as they get a mic they become instant heels. Just incredibly and genuinely unlikeable characters. With both teams heels or tweeners or whatever they are trying to do here it just isn't working. The Bucks need to be white meat babyfaces for this story. 

- The end of show announcement that the Bucks were in the battle royale and will pick their opinions if they win was a good, intriguing announcement...except Excalibur had already announced it ten minutes earlier ffs.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

My favourite episode this year. I thought Jungle Boy and Dax exceded expectations. Didn't think it would be as good as that. Kingston is still the man, Mox and Pac's promos were great. Don't care for Cody / Shaq still but atleast Brandi is out of it and hopefully it brings media attention to the product before never seeing him again. I thought the main event was great, everyone looked strong and Silver running wild was a treat. Even the post match action was great. Bring on Beach Break.

Good on Hook for smacking the merch guy around for not wearing his face-covering properly.

Seems like Lance Archer is getting a free pass for nearly killing Eddie Kingston by virtue of not being Nia Jax

How is Cody Rhodes a face? Everything about him just screams smug cunt

Edited by WyattSheepMask