The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

That chokeslam over the top to the outside. Doesn’t he push Kingston out of position? 

Didn't look like that to me. To be fair it was a far too dangerous move to do as Kingston is too big to land flat on the apron anyway.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Seems like Lance Archer is getting a free pass for nearly killing Eddie Kingston by virtue of not being Nia Jax

Probably because he doesn’t have a long history of really dangerous botches.

it was a stupid spot but not sure if he was to blame or there was just not a safe way to do it.

Really solid episode of Dynamite. Random thoughts.

*Loved Kingston/Archer. Nice fun solid match. Kingston needed the win and it furthered wherever this angle is going, which is either Archer going nuclear or Jake Roberts sourcing back up (Bear Country from DARK may get the nod). Kingston is a great character, he's like the bad version of Mox. Moxley being the cool guy who will do dangerous things to win and then Kingston is a guy you can't help but warm to with his personal promos and confidence, but you know he's still a cheating shit who can't help himself. Kingston as the gobshite with back-up who eventually gets his arse handed to him but looks tough as shit for it is brilliant.

*Mox promo was superb, Probably his most likeable in how he came across, enjoyed how he linked all the angles and characters together.

*Hoodlums. So makes me think of a Vince word of the week. Fun promos, Sting not doing is 'its cool to be here' schtick. Taz is just fun as the little angry man isn't he. Dunno about Hook though, he looks like a child and not in a Marko Stunt acceptable way.

*Lush new theme on Jericho/MJF. Fun match with the Blondes, niche callback to MJF lamping Griff Garrison when he was an enhancement act. Pillman looked solid. Cracked a wry smile when Jericho absolutely nailed a great lionsault with his cheshire cat grin into a serious heel glare. Alright you Trump loving weirdo. I'll give you that one. Sammy Guevara essentially playing the viewer at home calling out MJF's long con should lead to a right cracker at Revolution if the do the Loser Leaves the Inner Circle stip.

*PAC doing a Vinnie Mac shuffle saying 'BILLY BIG BOLLOCKS'. I love when PAC drops British swears.

*I'm not really arsed about the Cody angle because I'm not too boned up on Shaq besides he's a famous Basketball lad. Jade Cargill I'm waiting to see perform before I make any really opinion of her. They must see SOMETHING if she's getting this push. I'd like for us all to be pleasantly surprised. Even in this angle though Arn Anderson can still riff off a bit of gold on the mic. Red Velvet had a bit of confidence in her, good for her, it's a really big opportunity for her in what we all know it's going to be a smoke and mirrors/spots for photographers type of match. 

*On the Shaq Revolution match by the way, I see it going with Jade scoring the win, but it's all handshakes with Shaq after except Jade, who will walk out on all of them for being lame or something and keep her as this big new threat. She's also absolutely throwing Cody around for a few spots too isn't she.

*Page/Shakin' Ziggler wasn't as long as AEW sometimes threaten matches will go. Nemeth was average as fuck, bang average, get him doing DARK jobs, he looked so minor when next to someone like Page who looks the complete business. Matt Hardy being actually interesting at the end too, The recruitment of Adam Page should be a nice angle to tie in a few more characters.

*Jungle Boy is so good isn't he. Impossible to dislike the guy, his speaking voice is actually something I like in that he has confidence but has this grounded tone to him. He talks when he's got his dander up. He and Dax had the best match on the show, and it was a really nice cool way of furthering the angle with the tag teams. Much like hearing that full crowd pop for Hangman, Tarzan Boy and a full crowd is going to be great.

*I actually think the wedding angle and Miro and the lot have actually got so much more interesting with the Charles Taylor butler bit. I was massively not that bothered by it but they all just seem to have got it feeling a bit better. The video this week was fun. I like how we ALL know this wedding is going to go to absolute dogs, much like knowing Page will one day take Kenny's head off, it's not a bad thing we know where it goes. Miro to defeat Cassidy at Revolution and then move on. I still want Orange Cassidy popping nonchalantly out of a big wedding cake.

*Britt Baker is a great act to watch now, I find her matches fun and her finisher is wonderfully character based and actually a bit scary to watch, the selling when pulling on the teeth makes me uneasy, which is good. Shanna is a sold hand and has a good place as a midcarder and occasional title challenger. Thunder Rosa has such a cool look about her, just a swaggering confident arse kicker. Women's Eliminator will probably start after Revolution, nice to see Riho back, didn't see enough of her before the rona.

*Don't quite know what's occurring with the Bullet Club thing. Part of me wonders why they are having the Bucks act like weird mouthy shitheads, and then I'm thinking it's some sort of ruse and they're all in together, but I'm not clear on why they are pulling a stunt and to who it tricks or why.

*Bollocks to that though because the main event was a pearler of a TV match. John Silver is the most fun hot tag in wrestling since Daniel Bryan, impossible not to root for the little weird bloke, he and Gallows squaring off was fantastic. Best the Good Brothers looked in forever there as well, they just come across like complete dickheads, the one who makes a joke about you in the pub and everyone laughs and you take it but three hours later they're still at it. That's the Good Brothers. Rey Fenix ending the show with a real time 'deal with it' meme. Lovely stuff.

Just to add at the end here that AEW also have Butcher & Blade, Natural Nightmares, TH2, SCU, Chaos Project, Lucha Bros, Janela & Kiss, 10 & V, Silver & Reynolds AND the Varsity Blondes NOT in the battle royal. That's enough teams to make another battle royal. Tag division is stacked.

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

I am assuming that Matt Hardy is taking the place of what they were originally going to have Brodie Lee do. They've rightly pivoted towards the Dark Order being faces now, but Hangman needs to get his horse back on the road. Hopefully Hardy will help him do it.

I enjoyed everything on AEW other than Cody being in the worst storyline on any show that doesn't involve fire.

I'm really enjoying the ongoing confusion with the Bucks. They want to trust their long time friends but they're uncomfortable with how they're acting. This week was a better week because they won and it was all straightforward. Great! I imagine something will happen at Beach blast that makes them more antagonistic toward each other. Maybe the Good Brothers cost them the belts? Who knows, but I'm keen to find out!

For years it was teased/hinted at/planned for Shaq vs Big Show at Mania probably but for whatever reason never happened other than a face off in Andre Battle Royal, but this angle and match is what finally gets Shaq in the ring is crazy, such a weird mismatch of people and reason to have it.

Giant vs Giant sells itself but this is odd, with 5 more weeks to go I can't see it getting better.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

For years it was teased/hinted at/planned for Shaq vs Big Show at Mania probably but for whatever reason never happened other than a face off in Andre Battle Royal, but this angle and match is what finally gets Shaq in the ring is crazy, such a weird mismatch of people and reason to have it.

Giant vs Giant sells itself but this is odd, with 5 more weeks to go I can't see it getting better.

Cody is one of the faces of TNT. The Go Big Show is touting 12 million viewers. Makes sense that the most famous wrestler on their roster (and I mean the one most known outside of wrestling now) faces another celebrity. Yeah, it's not Leno/Hogan, but it's probably the best they have in order to break into the main stream. Plus he is a safe hand.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

That face-off in the Andre The Giant Battle Royal was probably as good as it could have got anyway - unless Shaq surprises us all and turns out to be a natural wrestler, the appeal of Big Show vs. Shaq was always just going to be in the visual of those two facing off. They achieved that in a Battle Royal with no need for Shaq to have to work a whole match - it's just mad that they didn't even advertise his appearance.

In AEW terms, I get why Cody gets the spot, and working with a celeb is the oldest trick in the book to garner publicity - though in AEW terms, when they've had Mike Tyson, Snoop Dogg and now Shaq involved, and the pre-AEW All In show had Stephen Amell on it, it starts to look like they're picking up WWE's scraps, celebrity-wise.

The thing for me is that, admittedly knowing next to nothing about basketball, I don't consider "being a giant" to be Shaq's major marketable attribute. He obviously is huge, but is that what he's best known for in the public eye? 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The Go Big Show is touting 12 million viewers. 

I hate to be that guy, but have you got a source for that? Everything I can find has it at just under 1 million.

@Hannibal Scorch @BomberPat both good points

I guess they achieved what they could out of Show vs Shaq, but two giants fighting is easier to book with limitations, test of strengths, shoulder tackles, big slam, finish.

Cody will have to bump around for him for it to work, Cody should be smart enough to do it but I'm not sure since he does 20mins with jobbers weekly, he might try to make this something it isn't.

• Paid Members

The only purpose of this Shaq match is to build some brand recognition. There's no way it's going to add anything significant to the PPV buyrate. But it will lead to some headlines so people will actually hear of and be aware of what AEW is. That's something TNA/Impact never did. 

As long as they get a clip or two out of the match to show on the news and a few good photos for the media the match will be a complete success. Whether it's good or not is irrelevant really.

Decent show, but still a lot of acts who don’t belong on TV - either through not being good enough, or not having their act fleshed out enough yet.

Not really into Kingston/Archer. The last few weeks have been my first real introduction to Kingston and I’m just not there with him, and there’s something really inauthentic about Archer. 

Finally realised why I recognise ‘The Butcher’ - he’s the fucking guitarist from Every Time I Die. Incredible. He looks the bollocks, too. Push please.

Good Moxley promo.

Bad Sting/Allin promo. Only made tolerable by Schiavone and JR taking the piss afterwards: “Hoodlums? That’s hard hitting stuff JR.”

He might be a chunky monkey, but I enjoy Jericho more now than I think I did when he was young.

Mad hearing Auf Wiedersehn PAC’s accent on display in those promos. He’s a good promo though.

The Cody segment was horrendous. What’s the vibe on Cody? I really like him and think he stands out as a real star of the company, but he’s really under used. Will they renege on the stip that he can’t win the title? What’s the deal with that? He seems like a ready made world champion for them.

I know it’s not professional, but JR completely knee-capping Red Velvet’s promo made me laugh.

Highlight of Ziggler-lite and Page was Page’s entrance graphic: “Accompanied by crippling emotional baggage”

Jungle Boy/Dax didn’t capture me In the first half, but grew into itself. It’s almost a shame that JB and John Silver exist on the samE show, as you could see both growing into AEW’s ‘yes movement’ era Daniel Bryan.

Main event was great, but the acts are all a bit off. Anyone care to explain The Dark Order? Lots of sinister branding, but seem like a comedy troupe? The Bucks have no idea what they are or why they do the things they do. The Good Bro’s know their act, but it’s shit so fuck ‘em.

That ‘biz clizz’ and ‘...izzle’ nonsense is awful.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Anyone care to explain The Dark Order? Lots of sinister branding, but seem like a comedy troupe?

They started off as dark and sinister but basically Brodie Lee was the evil puppet master abusing them and making them act evil when really they're more of a bunch of loveable losers who were easily influenced. They're a bunch of nerdy friends hanging out pretending to be a scary cult basically.