The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

6 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Nick Comoroto and Aaron Solow have been added to The Nightmare Family, according to Cody’s Twitter. Has anyone at all benefited from being part of that group? I’ve no idea what purpose it serves. 

Gives Cody more people to take the falls for him in multi mans 

Taking a guess they'll go with Solow and Lee Johnson as a full time team. Might chuck Arn with them, give him a bit more to do and with a team.

I guess The Gunn Club have been added way back to have a team to throw into trios whenever they introduce those.

Is it even a stable? Just seems to a collection of scrubs (not including Dustin obviously) that Cody likes.

Has anyone actually gotten any shine from being a part of it? QT died on his arse but that's all I can remember. 

Only time I enjoyed Gunn Club was when they were trolling Taz on Dark. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Is it even a stable? Just seems to a collection of scrubs (not including Dustin obviously) that Cody likes.

I don't think it's meant to be a proper stable. I just see it as a group of lads who all train together and can team up when needed. It's basically just an endorsement that Cody (and AEW) sees something in a lower-card guy right now.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Why does a babyface have such a giant stable of people?

With so much emphasis on multi-person teams, it's mainly about Cody being able to be in trios matches, or taking part against two other teams at once. A lot of the way AEW has been mixing so many feuds is through multi-person matches. He doesn't need other big names on his side at the moment, so it's a good way to get some attention on up-and-comers.

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

With so much emphasis on multi-person teams, it's mainly about Cody being able to be in trios matches, or taking part against two other teams at once. A lot of the way AEW has been mixing so many feuds is through multi-person matches. He doesn't need other big names on his side at the moment, so it's a good way to get some attention on up-and-comers.

In theory, perhaps. But who has it actually brought attention to? QT Marshall and Brandi, perhaps? But that's surely it, and that's an argument in itself for immediately disbanding the group.

Even Dustin Rhodes has been defined down by being part of The Nightmare Family. Despite his age, he's performing at a very high level and the fact he's spending the final years of his career in a second-rate tag team is a real shame. 

I generally like Cody, but this very much feels like a self-proclaimed Jesus thinking merely being in his presence is enough to make his disciples mean something. 

16 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I generally like Cody, but this very much feels like a self-proclaimed Jesus thinking merely being in his presence is enough to make his disciples mean something. 

And he's nowhere near that level right now. He can't even manage to make himself mean something at the moment.

Edited by DavidB6937

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

In theory, perhaps. But who has it actually brought attention to? QT Marshall and Brandi, perhaps? But that's surely it, and that's an argument in itself for immediately disbanding the group.

Even Dustin Rhodes has been defined down by being part of The Nightmare Family. Despite his age, he's performing at a very high level and the fact he's spending the final years of his career in a second-rate tag team is a real shame. 

Yep, all fair points. Worth noting that I think that's the plan, not that I think that's what they've actually followed through with. But I was just responding to why a babyface might 'need' a stable.

• Paid Members

Once this Cody/Shaq nonsense is over with, I'd like to see Cody in a team with Dustin - if he isn't going to be involved in the picture for either of the singles titles. It'd be a lot better than the meandering he has been doing since the Brodie Lee feud ended. Maybe it would give Santana and Ortiz something to sink their teeth into.

Dustin is being criminally wasted at the moment. This would help give him a featured spot again, that the quality of his work has earned. 

The prospect of a Dustin/Kenny Omega feud for the title really intrigues me, even if it's only for a TV match. They're both excellent wrestlers but I'm not sure we've seen Omega have a singles match against anyone quite like Dustin thus far in AEW. Dustin trying to win his first world title in what could be, given his age, his only remaining opportunity to do so is one hell of a story. 

• Paid Members

Regarding the whole Nightmare Family thing - bit of a reach, but is it possible they're trying to copy the dojo/gym culture of MMA? Like how you have fighters training with and "fighting out of" Tri-Star, American Top Team, etc., perhaps Cody's pushing a hybrid of stables and dojos, with trainees, rookies and lower-level guys building up their careers within these groups?