Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
3 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m probably reading a bit too much into it, but did anyone else find having an advertisement for the Nightmare Family BLM T-shirt, then an hour later having an angle similar to the murder of James Byrd a bit tonedeath? Or am I finding something that isn’t actually there

In that context it is, has their been anything about it online? It's also a stunt I'm sure Darby Allin has done before so I'd say it was a coincidence, a very unfortunate one if you know of the Byrd case.

Posted

This wasn't the intention, I'm sure, but I found the whole presentation of the crowd of white folk giving a black talent an assisted flash pin against a jobber and treating it like a watershed moment, and then having the talent essentially say he'd never have gotten a win without them, a bit uncomfortable. But then, I don't know if a story of him trying but still losing, but getting closer and closer each match before FINALLY putting it together and getting the W through guidance and hard work but on HIS OWN MERITS, has been playing out on Dark or anywhere. It just seemed a little try-hard and token for my liking.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Oof. Sounds a bit "white saviour". 

If they really really had to do an angle like that, best thing would've been to have the white crowd stop the white heel from cheating, nothing more. But why do it? 

Posted
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m probably reading a bit too much into it, but did anyone else find having an advertisement for the Nightmare Family BLM T-shirt, then an hour later having an angle similar to the murder of James Byrd a bit tonedeath? Or am I finding something that isn’t actually there

Honestly I haven't seen anything online with people being upset. If anything people were more annoyed when Jake put the snake on Brandi all those months ago claiming animal cruelty. 

FWIW, the angle sucked because it looked like the brainchild of Kevin Dunn and this whole Darby/Sting vs Team Tazz feud has got very samey very quickly

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Obviously, loved AEW this week. Flew by and everything worked. 

I'm honestly a bit surprised by the response to the Lee Johnson stuff. He's a trainee who had obvious potential and was brought in and been given plenty of experience, mainly on Dark - they've done this a lot with local talent. Over the last year, he's had 29 losses, which is currently either the worst record in AEW or close to it. This is his first win, and the story was that he was emotional about it and it was worth celebrating (especially as it was also announced on social media that he now has a full contract). He thanked the people who trained him and took him in as part of their group.

Lee's been really good, but he's also been portrayed as green and not at the level of getting wins yet. By the way, if him forgetting QT is an angle, it was fucking masterfully done - I honestly thought it was a mistake and found QT, in shot, reacting to it hilarious.

They also recently did the 'own merits/believing in themselves' story with Brandon Cutler. They're telling a different story with Lee Johnson, and if it's 'dickhead mentor is pissed he didn't get thanked enough', that's going to lead to that story with him anyway.

Edited by Chris B
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Honestly I haven't seen anything online with people being upset. If anything people were more annoyed when Jake put the snake on Brandi all those months ago claiming animal cruelty. 

FWIW, the angle sucked because it looked like the brainchild of Kevin Dunn and this whole Darby/Sting vs Team Tazz feud has got very samey very quickly

I didn’t say that I’d read anything about anyone being upset, as I mentioned I’m probably reading too much into it, it just seemed a bit off to have them selling a BLM t-shirt (which for the record I’ve no issue with them doing) to then have an angle with similarities to a murder in which a black man was dragged behind a speeding car

Like I say, I’m probably making it into something bigger than it is and it’s just an unfortunate coincidence, but something about those two things being on the same show just didn’t sit right with me

Edited by WyattSheepMask
Posted

If you look around there have been plenty black people have been murdered by punches, kicks, baseball bats etc. Not everything has to be linked to something. If it had been a Minority character in the bag then yeah it’s in very poor taste, this was just Darby being Darby 

Posted

Only thing about the BLM t-shirt I thought was ofcourse it had to be about Cody and his logo.

It would be a refreshing change if Sammy stayed gone from Inner circle, still have his feud with MJF but stick to his word, potentially have P&P walk out on I.C too so the group slowly falls apart, leading to MJF turning on Jericho, then starting his own group as he planned but needed Circle out of the way so broke them from within cos he's a dick etc.

Would carry more weight if the Club wasn't getting back together but an MJF lead group would be great, he can keep Hager and Wardlow as a team and get a few single lackeys 

 

Posted

MJF becomes new leader of the Dark Order, bullying the biggest babyfaces in the company until they can't take it any more. Imagine the pop John Silver will get when he finally snaps and lays MJF out.

Silver stuttering in front of Page on Dynamite was another quality little segment between them.

Posted

Proud & Powerful need to do something because as fun as they can be it feels like they've been drifting for a year now, I'm expecting something to happen next week with MJF somehow fucking up their title shot.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Proud & Powerful need to do something because as fun as they can be it feels like they've been drifting for a year now, I'm expecting something to happen next week with MJF somehow fucking up their title shot.

They've never had the chance to really stand out as there own gimmick they've been Inner Circle since there debut , apart from the friends feud I can't think of much stand alone stuff they've done

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, The Cutting Edge said:

They've never had the chance to really stand out as there own gimmick they've been Inner Circle since there debut , apart from the friends feud I can't think of much stand alone stuff they've done

There was some fantastic stuff they did with the Bucks early on.

And yeah, I should have said outside of the Best Friends fued.

Edited by Merzbow
Posted

It looked as if Santana & Ortiz were possibly going to split around the time MJF joined the Inner Circle because one sided with Sammy whereas one sided with Jericho. But nothing really materialised out of that. Maybe now with Sammy gone, they will revisit that in some capacity once MJF pisses them off.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Proud & Powerful need to do something because as fun as they can be it feels like they've been drifting for a year now, I'm expecting something to happen next week with MJF somehow fucking up their title shot.

I think it's more likely that they're going to win the titles. At least I hope so. Definitely the most interesting route.

Edited by LaGoosh
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...