The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

An exploding barbed wire death match? I'm out. Just the thought of barbed wire being used in wrestling makes me feel a bit sick. I don't understand the appeal of that kind of thing. I can't really see any way in which it adds to the quality of a match. Unlike a cage match/tables match/ladder match etc it doesn't add an extra element that allows for fun spots, it's just a tool that can be used for spots that make the viewer cringe. 

All in all, it was a mixed show this week. Kenny Omega is starting to jump the shark a little for me. The storyline with The Young Bucks is messy as fuck, as is typical with Young Bucks storylines in AEW recently. The Omega/school skit was fun initially, but they took it a little bit too far by having Nakazawa get beaten up by the children in the end. 

And did no one tell Matt Hardy that he signed a different contract over the past week? It was nice to see The Dark Order make the save for Page, though. 

This is an irrational dislike, but there's very little in wrestling that grates on me more than Riho's theme music. I find her impossible to watch, I hate it that much. 

But never mind any of that. I'm sure Cody and Brandi think they're bringing the fans along with them for the journey, but an on air gender reveal?? Say what you like about Triple H and Stephanie McMahon, but it's impossible to imagine them ever doing something like that. If they were an obnoxious heel act, all of this nonsense could actually be a lot of fun, but the lack of self-awareness in doing something like that is staggering. Who is it for, exactly? Obviously that's a rhetorical question, but Cody has derailed horrendously since the days of his feuds with Dustin, Spears (speaking of which, where is he??) and Jericho. 

Omega/Moxley, Omega/Good Bros/Young Bucks, Mox/Kenta - chuck in the other people flitting around the main event scene and I think it's all just muddled. It genuinely hasn't felt like Mox/Omega have been feuding recently, and yet Omega (THE FUCKING BAD GUY) comes out at the end and calls on the most ridiculous, stupid gimmick ever.

I'd still hate it, but at least let Mox bring it on. And build us there.

It was just the stupidest fucking thing. I need to go listen to a Cornette podcast or something.

So shit.

• Paid Members

Outside of the FTR match and poorly executed angle at the end I loved the show. Really enjoyed every match and segment.

The ending announcement got a genuine "what the fuck" reaction from me. It's absolutely nuts and I'm very intrigued by it. I don't think this is going to be a FMW style gorefest as neither man is that type of wrestler and I'm sure they'll do everything safely. If they're looking for a way to write out Moxley so he can take time off to have a kid then him exploding in barbed wire is a good way to do it. This is something completely mad and different and I'm expecting a lot of people to complain about it (and understand why) and the set up for it made very little sense but I'm definitely excited to see it. They've got my money.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Got the announcement spoiled on social media. I'm fine with it. It's going to be big theatre rather than a CZW slice-fest. 

I'm also immediately certain the reasoning behind this is a desire to have it in the video game, and Omega not wanting to have it as an option if there hasn't actually been one.

• Paid Members

Will the stipulation go ahead? Not sure. But as dumb as that was, the rest of the show was really decent. Orange getting the squash win over Luther is exactly how it should be, the post match angle between Page and Hardy was excellent. I think Jack Evans got his bell rung near the end of that match because whilst he's sloppy at times, that end sequence was awful. 

Woman's match given time was what they should do more often, and thought both looked great. Mike Sydel has the worst tattoos in wrestling. Mox and Kingston with great promos and an enjoyable match as well.

One thing I want to highlight is Excalibur though. I was not a fan, but over time he has really grown on me, and between his work on dark and his little barbed comment at the way kenny was watching TV backstage, he is funny, but also knows how to tell a story during a match. Probably my favorite commentator right now.

5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Will the stipulation go ahead? Not sure. 

I'm pretty certain that it will, I don't see why they'd tease it if they had not intention with following through. 

36 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I don't think this is going to be a FMW style gorefest as neither man is that type of wrestler and I'm sure they'll do everything safely.

I'd point back to their unsanctioned match, which went too far for a lot of people's tastes. Even if it's completely safe, it's the idea of the barbed wire that I personally find off-putting. 

The Revolution card doesn't generally appeal to me so far. I'm sure the wrestling will be good, but the build towards this show has been pretty weak, compared to most of their other PPVs. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm pretty certain that it will, I don't see why they'd tease it if they had not intention with following through. 

You make it sound like every announcement in wrestling is true. They announced Roman Reigns vs Adam Pierce the other week. Didn't happen though.

9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

You make it sound like every announcement in wrestling is true. They announced Roman Reigns vs Adam Pierce the other week. Didn't happen though.

As @d-d-d-dAz said, that's a little different. The other element to consider is that this is a PPV, not a Network only show - if they were to announce this (as they have), sparking a good number of buys, then withdraw it, it would really hurt the trust they've built with their fans. AEW doesn't have a track record of baiting and switching. Heck, even if this was WWE I'd not expect them to withdraw the stip, there's no logical reason to do something like that. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'd point back to their unsanctioned match, which went too far for a lot of people's tastes. Even if it's completely safe, it's the idea of the barbed wire that I personally find off-putting. 

The Revolution card doesn't generally appeal to me so far. I'm sure the wrestling will be good, but the build towards this show has been pretty weak, compared to most of their other PPVs. 

I don't think the Unsanctioned match was particularly gory. I did think it was pretty boring though.

In reality, exploding barbed wire spots are actually pretty safe. Someone falls onto the wire and some fireworks go off. They look very impressive but no one gets hurt. The match will probably be safer than the six man ladder match earlier in the night. I'm so fucking bored of ladder matches. I could quite happily never see one again.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the show and I'm looking forward to the Barbed Wire Deathmatch. I know they're not for everyone, but I like that AEW does these special matches you rarely see elsewhere or haven't seen for a while. Barbed Wire, Parking Lot Brawls, Stadium Stampede. They usually go all out for big matches like that.
Also I'll defend Riho's theme to the death. It sounds like walking into a seaside amusements where it's just a blur of sound.

I have 2 objections to the EXPLODING BARBED WIRE DEATH MATCH.

1) just... ugh

2) Why is Kenny Omega, the prissy, 80’s throwback heel calling it on when it’s not even being forced upon him? 

If we’re whipping out contracts with clauses that Omega didn’t know was in there, why not have another clause that says Moxley gets to pick the rematch stipulation. It makes 100% more sense for madman Moxley to call for it.

I would have preferred Mox to be the one to announce the match. I don't think I've ever seen an exploding barbed wire death match in the Japanese/FMW style properly bar a few clips, not exactly something I'd go out of my way to catch, but I'm curious how they do it.

Having a think for any reason why Kenny announced it, I'm guessing they all know they are not getting rid of Moxley anytime soon, and Kenny has the ego that even though the Light's Out match didn't count, it'll still bug him, like how Alex Marvez seems to be cast as this irritation that turns up to annoy him, like he's picked up as a burden for how he won the title. Basically, he could theoretically beat Mox again, but he'll still be there, and he'll still come marching in to kick their heads in. Mox needs to actually be stopped.

I guess from the heels mentality, because Kenny can and has proven he can hurt himself to get his aims, he'll do this in order to get rid of his biggest problem. The nutter ex-champion. Anyway, this is all theoretical and guessing on Mox taking a fucking mental stunt and is off for maternity leave.

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

To answer 2) Omega hasn't been presented as a cowardly heel, just a dickhead one. If you look at the history of the feud Moxley has been a thorn in Omega's side from day 1. The first episode of Dynamite Mox DDTd him through a glass table. It's not outside the realms of storytelling logic that a guy who made his name in Japan where these matches happen wouldn't decide that they are the best option for a match stipulation to end Jon Moxley once and for all.