The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Got to give them credit, I've really got a kick out of Adam Page and The Dark Order the last few weeks. I finally feels like they've found the right lane. I would've loved to have seen the big babyface response -1 would receive in front of thousands of fans, as he directed Dark Order traffic. Real fun baby group and Page's facials were great. First time I've really cared about him in a year.

Serena Deeb and Riho was predictably cracking. I could have done without the forced knee injury stuff, but they've left it open for more down the line. Riho's something special and I'm miffed some people don't see it. Show went a bit downhill after this.

Had to rewind after JR's flub as I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing 😂 . The guy is a complete fucking liability.

The best and worst of Kenny Omega this week. The self-indulgent goof who doesn't belong in any main event picture, aimlessly pissing about in a nursery. Then the electric dickhead, who boots your head off and looks like a star. He was great by the end, it just took a stiff headbutt to bring out the fire. The Death Match announcement was a proper eye roller. I love Moxley, but this is all he does. The best I can hope for is it's modelled on the FMW versions and has actual psychology.

Watching Sting get planted on the back of his head was indeed a shocker. A great memorable moment to to elevate this feud. Felt uneasy watching it, as I did Jack Evans nearly decapitating himself. 

I wish they'd stop copying bad WWE tropes. I don't care if it's ironic, the lights out gimmick, entrance music on run-ins and guys standing around watching the tv at silly angles is shit and contrived and makes them look second rate. 

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEY Fenix (fuck off Justin Roberts!!) is RIDICULOUS. One of the most electrifying hot tags I've ever seen. It's funny how he always looks better when he's not with Penta. 

What happened to Penta by the way? He seems to have abandoned his partner and the feud. I don't get this "face of Revolution" three-way thing either . . . but Cody gonna Cody I guess.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, RedRooster said:

And did no one tell Matt Hardy that he signed a different contract over the past week? It was nice to see The Dark Order make the save for Page, though. 

Spears (speaking of which, where is he??)

I thought Matt Hardy knew that he'd signed a different contract and was acting dumb, waiting for Adam Page to show his hand and explain what the contract was before going on the attack. That's why Isiah Kassidy was in the mascot suit, all part of the ruse. 

Spears did a "I'm not getting the respect I deserve" promo a few weeks back and walked out.

I really enjoyed this show. Serena Deeb vs Riho was a cracker, the main event was fun and seeing Sting get physical was a nice change of pace too. The tag title match was building nicely too until Matt fucking up the pin break towards the end took the wind out of its sails. 

If only Riho had a Deeb to work with back in the early days, not that Riho's matches were ever bad but fuck me this was levels above anything she's previously been in in AEW. I'm not about to scream MOTY but it was damn good, glad to see her back, did she have any standout matches while in Stardom over the Covid era?

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

If only Riho had a Deeb to work with back in the early days, not that Riho's matches were ever bad but fuck me this was levels above anything she's previously been in in AEW. I'm not about to scream MOTY but it was damn good, glad to see her back, did she have any standout matches while in Stardom over the Covid era?

Her run in Stardom had "I'm killing time until I can get back to the US" written all over it for the majority of her time there.

Even after dropping the AEW title she wasn't doing any jobs so was basically just making up the numbers in low/midcard tag matches. 

Though I'm not sure if Stardom "got rid" as opposed to both sides just parting ways once AEW started calling again.

She probably would have already left ages ago if it wasn't for the pandemic. 

13 hours ago, TomJones233 said:

Nice to see 62 year old Sting who is one bump away from being in a wheelchair is doing stupid and reckless bumps. Very responsble. 

Do you think if he really was that close he would be doing any of this? He’s never struck me as reckless and managed his career accordingly. 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

Do you think if he really was that close he would be doing any of this? He’s never struck me as reckless and managed his career accordingly. 

Depends if it was the same doctor that cleared him that also allowed Matt Hardy to continue to fall on his head after almost dying.

1 hour ago, Louch said:

Lance Storm was writing 20 years ago on his blog about Sting taking unnecessary risks to get younger talent over. Don't get me wrong I don't think he'd knowingly put himself in a position to be crippled, but it's not out of character for Sting to insist on taking stuff apparently.

• Paid Members

Warning, ratings talk: Seems like the ratings for both AEW and NXT have plateaued. No matter what the numbers are it always totals approx 1.4-5 million viewers a week spread across both shows. AEW is maintaining a solid audience which is amazing but it doesn't seem to be growing. Looks like there are a certain number of wrestling fans but wrestling as a whole isn't attracting any new fans.

The only ways I can see the ratings for AEW going up are:

- if (or when) NXT is moved off Wednesdays that AEW gets a bunch of their audience. 

- when live crowds are back and they can go back to touring the live atmosphere brings in new fans. If you're a lapsed fan I definitely think their weird atmosphere of COVID shows would put you off new wrestling. 

I don't think there's anything quick fix they can do to grow their audience really. Outside of CM Punk I don't think there's anyone they could bring in that'd bring in new fans.

I know the demo stuff is super boring but watching a torrent from the US with adverts left in its interesting seeing the difference between AEW and NXT. The adverts during AEW are for huge brands like Subway, Samsung, Domino's Pizza while for NXT as the audience skews much older so do the adverts. I was reading over on DVDR about how the NXT advert breaks are full of stuff like life insurance, IBS medication, vouchers for lunch clubs. Reminds me of all the walk in bath tub type adverts you see on daytime telly over here.

Edited by LaGoosh

36 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Warning, ratings talk: Seems like the ratings for both AEW and NXT have plateaued. No matter what the numbers are it always totals approx 1.4-5 million viewers a week spread across both shows. AEW is maintaining a solid audience which is amazing but it doesn't seem to be growing. Looks like there are a certain number of wrestling fans but wrestling as a whole isn't attracting any new fans.

Based on the way younger people generally consume media (Youtube, streaming etc), I do wonder how true this is? Heck, even from my point of view, I hardly ever watch live television and as far as Dynamite goes, I watch it on FITE TV and fast forward through the bits I don't care for. I would speculate that we're witnessing the slow death of traditional television, rather than the slow death of wrestling.