The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Possibly. It's a tricky one, as AEWs primary revenue stream is it's television deal with TNT. So if new fans are watching AEW but not on traditional TV how do AEW monetise that so they make the same (or more) money than they would from if they were traditional television viewership?

• Paid Members
Just now, BomberPat said:

So did Edge, and he's main eventing Wrestlemania.

Yeah, but nobody's going to bite on the Raw thread.

The ratings/demo stuff is interesting. I mentioned in the Wrestlenomics thread that there's been some comparison with wrestling show rating declines vs overall rating declines, and AEW is performing really well comparatively. Basically, the more ratings decline overall, keeping a steady or slowly declining audience is more impressive.

Also worth noting that this week was not an inspiring line-up. I'd be interested if multi-man main events generally perform worse.

3 hours ago, TomJones233 said:

Edge is 61 is he?

61, or 47, the point was, Edge was told to retire. So was Sting. Edge is back taking bumps, and so is Sting. 

Edge takes a multitude of bumps over the course of 6 weeks...Sting takes 1. He likely won't be taking a whole ton more, unlike Edge.

I actually thought the power bomb looked pretty good and safe, as far as power bombs go, anyway. I was more stunned with how easily Sting got up there. To give him credit, you can see Cage lean back at the start so Sting went down in a nice arc to land on the meat of his back rather than driving him down or abandoning him in mid air. I really liked the whole angle. After weeks of endless chat, the heels have finally upped the stakes by taking out both faces in unique appropriate ways.

Rest of the show was pretty good.

I give zero shits about a match where money is at stake. It kind of feels weird having anxious everyman babyface Page seemingly caring about cash, it seems kind of disproportionate, rinsing a blundering comedy heel for thousands of dollars all because he's a bit of a wally, and it infers that two months pay is them minted. The match will be fine, probably too long, and I hope there's a better angle for Page to close on than "haha you're a bit poorer now lolz". More undercooked fare from Hardy - you don't make a new character worth his comeuppance with one clumsy promo and foisting a heel turn on a green tag team.

Sidenote, Hardy's hips really are fucked aren't they? He can barely lift his knees up and all his sit out bumps end up being awkwardly flat-backed. I'll probably spend more time watching for what Page can do with a sandbag like him, rather than engaging with any story.

Deeb vs Riho was sensational. Serena's wiry yoga mom look is great, and she's been having crackers with everyone. Even little Riho started throwing bombs. I thought the knee work started oddly (I must've missed the big cue, unless it's just an ongoing gimmick for Deeb, with the bionic knee brace) but played out brilliantly.

Two minutes, if that, on the Japanese bracket. Absolutely fuck that, AEW. Fuck that.

Cassidy vs Luther happened. No sign of Miro.

No, let's give 20 minutes to Matt Sydal's brother, who means well and looked chuffed to be there, but clearly ran out of puff well before the end. Both Sydals are the dirt worst for meaningless kicks, hitting a seeming knockout strike only to send the guy off the ropes. Indy bullshit, made worse the fact WWE would've worked those habits out of him. Still, unlike some here, love me some snappy FTR offence. My Captain Cash throws the best uppercut in AEW.

Why make a big deal of Luchasaurus having a new mask if it's just a shitter version of his old one?

I'd kind of tuned out by the main event. You can tell from Mox's physique that he's winding down for dadhood. Fenix is phenomenal and terrifying in equal measure. That pencil dive over the top was bonkers. It's hilarious hearing the commentators just losing their goddamn minds.

Kenny being so animated and wired felt weird after the comedy school skit earlier in the night, but I suppose that's just a cumulative effect of weeks of Mox promos plus the tension Don Callis has been steadily piling on, separating Kenny from the Elite while feeding his ego. I've got no problem at all with an exploding... barbed wire... DEATH MATCH. I'm up for that kind of ludicrous shit, provided it's smart and snappy. I think it telegraphs the finish, but not everything needs to be a swerve.

Forgot Bucks vs P & P happened.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members

Re: Ratings, I’m pretty sure it was discussed around the time Fox bought Smackdown that cost wise 52 weeks of live wrestling was a fraction of what most of their scripted shows cost to make. So even though the ratings are naff (and Fox is the smallest of the main networks anyway), as long as they can sell ad time, they are fine.

AEW costs TNT even less and does decent numbers for them compared to most of their shows (other then Sports naturally) which is why they are so pleased with it. So even though we’re passed the golden era for Wrestling viewership, from a budgeting point of view they’re fine.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah absolutely. When you consider that an episode of Dynamite costs about 800k for a 2 hour episode a week 52 weeks a year while your average sitcom costs over $1m per 20 minute episode for a couple of months a year you can definitely see why the TV channels love putting on wrestling. 

Edited by LaGoosh

They're doing a sunday special on Bleacher Report on 28/2 with Riho/Thunder Rosa Eliminator Tourney as the big match to catch on the show. 

State of the reaction this will get in some places. Honestly I can't hear the most basic complaints about the women in AEW without hearing it in Milhouse and his firework factory voice. 

Proper big opportunity this, and actually putting on a women's match is a better option. But yeah, I'm sure the promotion just hate women or something blah blah. 

Edited by Chili

40 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Moxley and Kingston are absolute magic together. 

Page was my other highlight this week, he looked great. And add me to those shocked at the Sting powerbomb!

I wouldnt be against a Mox/King team somewhere down the line when all the trios/factions stuff has died down.

I can't remember what the deal is with Stings neck, did he have the surgery or not? He must be cleared either way because Cage fucking planted him!

“A week of stupid decisions” little dig at the Impact-Sammy kerfuffle from Jericho?

Enjoyed the closing section of Deeb v Riho.

I don’t know why but Shaq slowly nodding at the camera during the training montage made me laugh.

What the hell was that kindergarten thing? Surprised they cleared the filming of that during a pandemic.

Papa Buck keen for the camera to get off him so he could get back to his phone.

What did Jake Hager say to be muted on ITV?

I was praying for Schiavone to scream “his horns have grown back” for Luchasaurus.