The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Word coming out of Thursdays tapings about Abadon being hospitalised with a “serious injury”. No confirmation on exactly what the injury is, but there’s a chance that the match will be removed from the show.

As for Reynolds’ statement- he probably knows that if he goes ranting on twitter that he’ll likely get replaced. Not that he shouldn’t do because what happened was bullshit, but i doubt that he’s holding anything against the Private Party guy (I forget whose who) but he also knows that this will probably blow over in a week or so

It might be because Kingston and fam are the shiny new thing and the Elite angle has been going for ages, but it still feels too early for Omega vs Page. This week was the first time Kenny has embraced a heel side, with all the previous hints being based on him NOT doing something (NOT hitting him with a table, NOT hanging around to support Hangman's win, etc). The angle needs some deliberate actions to make it personal. And I wonder, does the angle even need a title? Especially when you've got a roster stacked with in ring talent and storyline possibilities. To have Kenny act like the best bout machine, and be the best bout machine, defeats the object of being a heel, which is to piss you off. The ludicrous entrance blurb is perfect for a heel who deliberately avoids the big challengers in favour of hammering scrubs in 30 seconds, to maintain his rep and record. Yes, they did a version of this with MJF, but Omega has the career history, personality and presentation to make the idea of a vet coasting his way to title opportunities fresh. I think this tourney should be the breaking point of the team and the start of the proper build to their face off. If Omega forfeits to avoid Penta, he should cost Page his match to fully lay his stall out that if he doesn't succeed, Page can't either, to maintain his insistence that Page needs him. Page sees this in front of his face, and goes on the chase to beat Omega for the personal reasons we want, not for some belt. That also gives us a combo of Mox, Kingston and Penta for a month or so, which is mouthwatering.

To weigh in on AEW's inept handling of the Reynolds incident, I genuinely think the Blade deserves some credit for spotting it first and getting him out of there. He was then immediately let down by the ringside medical team and other competitors; the only reason I can think of right now for Doc Samson et al not getting to Alex, especially after Rey Fenix also knocked himself loopy earlier in the night, was due to the crush of other wrestlers not clearing the way. Ultimately, somebody has the responsibility of spotting these incidents and making the immediate call, and that didn't happen. Damage limitation tweets can get in the sea. The next time something like this happens, I want to see an audible called and support staff on the scene. Actions not words.

It's unfortunate because, as well as the ludicrous Dinner Debonair that was utterly brilliant but I have no desire to re-watch, I thought this episode contained the best run of segments on AEW so far, with Mox's and Kingston's stellar promos on each other ("I'm gonna beat you and torture you until I get my friend back!" Awesome), into the greatest American lucha match I've ever seen. If the Rey head drop wasn't a spot, they still used it to add to an already incredible match of properly paced high spots, theatrical striking, and emotional brother vs brother storytelling.

Edited by CavemanLynn

52 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

It's just a little bit.... North Korea in my opinion.
It's like when Reby Hardy went on Twitter [rightly] bashing AEW for letting Matt continue after getting concussed. AEW had Matt come out at the next available opportunity and go 'No, I'm alright really everyone! Nothing to see here!' and that was it. 
AEW currently is the babyface company but they are rapidly losing a lot of that goodwill with all but their most diehard fans by doing things like that.
It's transparent 'Everything's great because we say it's great' phony propaganda that WWE so often [rightly] gets blasted for and one of these days AEW is going to find itself in a situation they can't just gloss over. 

Were you expecting Alex Reynolds to say that Dr Samson is an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing and that his collegaues are negligent jerks. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

AEW don’t do DQs remember

They did a double DQ on Dark last week, as part of the Brandon Cutler/Peter Avalon 'neither man has won a match' feud.

Reynolds is a young guy, who clearly is enjoying being a decent part of a big show. I think his statement was probably rather him preferring that there just wasn't any fuss over it, rather than it being some dark conspiracy. He's probably embarrassed by the whole thing - I'm not saying that's the right response at all, but that I see that as more likely than some dictatorial nonsense. I don't think I've seen anyone else saying this or the Matt Hardy thing was handled well.

18 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Were you expecting Alex Reynolds to say that Dr Samson is an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing and that his collegaues are negligent jerks. 

No, however there is the difference between that and going 'The referee and the Doctor both acted impeccably' when it's blatantly obvious they didn't.
I don't actually think Reynolds needed to make a statement at all to be honest, apart from giving an update on his condition.
It's the company that should have made a statement acknowledging that errors were made and saying changes will be implemented going forward - a simple tactic that would have garnered goodwill.
Instead it's like they've gone 'Alex, listen, we're copping a lot of shit for this. Go on your social media and defend us' 'What do you want me to say?' 'Say you're completely fine and that everyone did everything right and that whatever people think it is they saw they didn't. We're all just one big happy family.'

The fact that Reynolds statement is getting slammed by everyone on Twitter, including those who state they are big AEW fans, shows that it was a mis-step and people are starting to roll their eyes at this 'Everything's fine' approach.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

No, however there is the difference between that and going 'The referee and the Doctor both acted impeccably' when it's blatantly obvious they didn't.
I don't actually think Reynolds needed to make a statement at all to be honest, apart from giving an update on his condition.
It's the company that should have made a statement acknowledging that errors were made and saying changes will be implemented going forward - a simple tactic that would have garnered goodwill.
Instead it's like they've gone 'Alex, listen, we're copping a lot of shit for this. Go on your social media and defend us' 'What do you want me to say?' 'Say you're completely fine and that everyone did everything right and that whatever people think it is they saw they didn't. We're all just one big happy family.'

The fact that Reynolds statement is getting slammed by everyone on Twitter, including those who state they are big AEW fans, shows that it was a mis-step and people are starting to roll their eyes at this 'Everything's fine' approach.

Absolutely. As I said above the fact he said anything at all is embarrassing and draws attention to the fact that it's a blatant cover up. The amount of experience in the ring should have meant he was moved out of harm's way and the medics could have attended to him at ringside. The wrestlers didn't so the ref should've made some attempt to shield him as he was nearly further injured 2/3 times before he was dragged into the corner.

That's one area where you can't fault WWE in my opinion, certainly recently, if anything is obviously wrong the ref and medics are all over it and it's covered fairly well.

14 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

That's one area where you can't fault WWE in my opinion, certainly recently, if anything is obviously wrong the ref and medics are all over it and it's covered fairly well.

Charlotte slapped the shit out of a concussed Kairi Sane and powerbombed her through a table in recent memory.

I've been concussed in a match myself, remember how it felt and how long it took for the ref to figure it out. So I have a bit of a soft spot when this stuff happens when it comes to spotting it. I watched Dynamite live and had no idea it happened, but noticed the match slowed down when Nick tagged in and Reynolds was slow in the movements. With so much going on in the ring, it sucks to say, but I can see why they missed it. That's not giving anybody a pass, but to me there is not the gross negligence argument of the Matt Hardy situation. Once they spotted it they got him out and didn't let him back in. These things don't always get caught in real time as they happen, he was supposed to be out of the way for a while after the spot so in the moment you just think he's selling the big double team. Getting dragged to the corner to tag out may have been part of the plan anyway. As absurd as it this sounds, it might be a genuine case for the Gorilla Monsoon second-ref-on-the-floor argument in these big multiman matches so there is a guy to check on folks who aren't involved in the current spot in the ring.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

To have Kenny act like the best bout machine, and be the best bout machine, defeats the object of being a heel, which is to piss you off. .

Jon Jones would like a word.

The heel who thinks hes incredible and noone else is good enough works really well when he's right, as he can just get cockier and cockier until someone comes along and proves him wrong.

Omega should absolutely win this tournament, and should beat hangman to do it, although he should probably be forced to cheat to do so. That should send hangman rock bottom and then his redemption story can begin, culminating in a match with Omega for the title down the line.

• Awards Moderator

Good show this week, aside from the Alex Reynolds debacle. Shocking refereeing that he didn’t check on him or notice anything was up. Okay, maybe, maybe benefit of the doubt immediately afterwards but when he’s still clearly loopy half a minute later something should have been done. Under no circumstances should he be getting up so the Bucks can do more moves on him. The contrast between that and Drake Wuertz immediately jumping on and protecting Alexander Wolfe back in January is night and day.

On the Jericho-MJF musical, I loved it for how utterly ridiculous it was. If people are struggling to suspend their disbelief for it - consider this. They planned the whole thing! They rehearsed it! They’re both the type of characters who would decide ‘you know what, we should do a musical number with dancers when we have our debonair dinner’. I thought it was totally in gimmick for both of them.

Pity that Rey Fenix is injured again. Second time this year. Almost feels like he might need to be toning his style down a bit. Don’t like the idea of him being replaced in the tourney. Kenny getting to the final with one squash is a brilliant idea that they’d have never thought of otherwise.

Speaking of Kenny, THERE’S the guy I’ve been waiting for. Didn’t love the entrance but the match was spot on. I can’t see anything but Omega-Page in the final ... but I wonder if rather than the expected epic, Kenny squashes Hangman too, to really drill in the fact that they are no longer friends. Then you start the build to the rematch.

Perry vs Wardlow was probably my favourite match on the show. Great dynamic, nice back and forth, both came out of it looking good.

How do Darby Allin’s opponents feel about his attitude to pain and getting hurt? It’s one thing him being so unconcerned about himself, but does that affect you as an opponent if he’s similarly careless during matches?

Kingston and Moxley both doing great promos this week. I’ve been losing interest in Mox recently but strangely, listening to this week’s Wrestle Me about the Lesnar match at WrestleMania 32 has renewed me wanting to see him do well.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator