The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I had no idea who he was supposed to be, but that didn’t matter. His opening exchange with Reynolds was gold!

I think he’s meant to be buffalo bill from silence of the lambs 😂😂

• Paid Members

They kinda explain on 'Road To' that Eddie Kingston was behind Penta replacing Fenix. I'd still rather Omega got a bye into the finals, but that's a pretty good explanation to further drive a wedge between Penta and Rey with Kingston subtly stirring shit up.

• Paid Members

Last nights Dark is 2 hours 21 minutes long. I'm a massive fan of C shows and jobber matches (I think I was the only person still watching Superstars by the time that finished) but even I've gotta draw the line there. Almost as long as Hell in a Cell.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Last nights Dark is 2 hours 21 minutes long. I'm a massive fan of C shows and jobber matches (I think I was the only person still watching Superstars by the time that finished) but even I've gotta draw the line there. Almost as long as Hell in a Cell.

But in it's defence, it is giving TV exposure/experience and pay days to a lot of indy wrestlers during this pandemic. Also, Taz and Excalibur are great together on commentary. Plus this week we finally get Avalon vs Cutler where a winner must be decided. It's an easier watch then Raw   

• Paid Members

I have to admit, I'm baffled by their approach to Dark. It's an easy watch (and I do love the Brandon Cutler/Peter Avalon feud), but it's so long. I don't know if it's about banking footage, or just keeping people employed during the pandemic, with the idea of 'well, if we're going to do it, we may as well film it'.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It's an easier watch then Raw   

Normally, I'd say that's a fairly low bar, but this week's Raw was actually not too bad and Dark was massive slog to get through (which it normally isn't).  

• Paid Members

But in it's defence, it is giving TV exposure/experience and pay days to a lot of indy wrestlers during this pandemic. Also, Taz and Excalibur are great together on commentary.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I'll probably give it a watch all the same.

Plus this week we finally get Avalon vs Cutler where a winner must be decided.

Actually, probably not.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I don't know if it's about banking footage, or just keeping people employed during the pandemic, with the idea of 'well, if we're going to do it, we may as well film it'.

These would be the main factors in why they're such marathons, I'd say. Keeping a massive roster as happy as possible and giving the less experienced guys "TV" practice/extended tryouts. Perhaps also trying to capitalise on that section of fans who have dropped WWE from their viewing entirely since AEW came along, but still want as much wrestling content as possible in the current situation.

You have to assume they'll need to stop doing such long episodes of Dark once fans return properly/they go back to touring, unless they start doing specific Dark tapings. Otherwise attending Dynamite would turn into an all day affair.

Are they uploading EVERYTHING they're recording? If so, jeezus.

There's no need. If they've got 2 hours worth of matches, why not split them into 2 or three separate episodes so they can keep a steady flow of content instead of constantly splurging it online and racing for footage for next week? ESPECIALLY with social distancing meaning they should be keeping people together as little as poss. No one's going to complain about an online-only C show going less than an hour. If they were really desperate to upload everything, they'd be better off cutting the best matches into one episode (y'know, quality control) and uploading the rest individually as showcase matches or something. If I've seen Will Hobbs on Dynamite and want to see more, I'm not going to go hunting through YT Dark feeds; I'm more likely to check out him vs a couple of Noname McTrunkses for 7 minutes a time.

10 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Are they uploading EVERYTHING they're recording? If so, jeezus.

There's no need. If they've got 2 hours worth of matches, why not split them into 2 or three separate episodes so they can keep a steady flow of content instead of constantly splurging it online and racing for footage for next week? ESPECIALLY with social distancing meaning they should be keeping people together as little as poss. No one's going to complain about an online-only C show going less than an hour. If they were really desperate to upload everything, they'd be better off cutting the best matches into one episode (y'know, quality control) and uploading the rest individually as showcase matches or something. If I've seen Will Hobbs on Dynamite and want to see more, I'm not going to go hunting through YT Dark feeds; I'm more likely to check out him vs a couple of Noname McTrunkses for 7 minutes a time.

They also seperate each match out too. Which I find is a nice way to check out matches with guys you may have more of a passing interest in.

• Paid Members

It wasn’t as good a show as last week but I’ll take steady, slightly-above-average utility shows that effectively build to a PPV I want to see.

I really want to see Full Gear. Absolutely heartbreaking that a lineup that good isn’t in a big arena filled with fans going crazy.

Edited by Supremo