The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I've actually sat thinking about that clip and it's shocking. The partner physically dragging the fella over the mat for the tag and just leaving him there prone is the worst. Surely in any half decent wrestling promotion there's procedure for such an accident. Unprofessional negligent shite. 

The ref doenst check on him at all when he’s prone for over a minute. Honestly would expect this to be picked up in any local show i go to . Doubly worse that they have someone in their ear on TV and no one prompted him to check. Abysmal 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

That was a great Dynamite - one of my favourites for a fair while. Full Gear looks stacked - I really hope the Bucks and FTR go on last. 

Are you crazy?! That’s the coldest match on the whole card! They’ve taken what was supposed to be a dream match years in the making and turned it into a confusing mess.

What I think angers me the most about the Reynolds thing is that they’ve got no excuse this time. With Matt Hardy you could argue they hadn’t experienced anything like that before, so everyone was panicking and unsure what to do. How it can happen again a few weeks later, with unconscious people being dragged around and left in harms way, with people doing spots and taking bumps around him? Fucking hell. Beyond negligent.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Louch said:

No. But it wasn’t fitting in this tv show to go from a meal to what it turned into. I’d have turned over of watching live 

So you're happy to watch two guys have an intimate steak dinner on your wrestling show, but you drawn the line at musical numbers?

I've always found musicals really jarring. We talk about "suspension of disbelief" in wrestling- nothing breaks my suspension of disbelief more than seeing a spontaneous dance routine break out in the middle of a conversation, whether it's a movie, TV show or wrestling show. At least in matches, the illogical things that happen have a reason- they're trying to fight each other. What reason did Jericho and MJF have to break into a song?

But yeah, that's a problem I have with the musical genre, not just what Jericho and MJF did specifically. It was well performed and entertained me. But the whole "let's take a break from the story and sing a song!" deal is something I've never got. My best friend loves musicals and has made me watch a few, but I don't get the appeal at all.

• Paid Members

Well the best musicals tell the story through the songs...

I enjoyed it and don't really get the hate from some people. It was something genuinely new and original and well done and those two characters are probably the only characters who could do something like it. I think there's plenty of space for ridiculous stuff in my wrestling. And even if you didn't like it, the whole segment was 5 minutes long so who cares.

27 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Are you crazy?! That’s the coldest match on the whole card! They’ve taken what was supposed to be a dream match years in the making and turned it into a confusing mess.

What I think angers me the most about the Reynolds thing is that they’ve got no excuse this time. With Matt Hardy you could argue they hadn’t experienced anything like that before, so everyone was panicking and unsure what to do. How it can happen again a few weeks later, with unconscious people being dragged around and left in harms way, with people doing spots and taking bumps around him? Fucking hell. Beyond negligent.

My psychological wellbeing to one side, I've been waiting for this one for years - this build started on BTE years ago and they have held it back for so long since FTR debuted on Dynamite, that I'm chomping at the bit for this match.

The Reynolds thing is really disturbing. The worst part being the referee not checking on him. AEW need to to hire Mike Chioda to sort these referees out. 

8 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Well the best musicals tell the story through the songs...

I enjoyed it and don't really get the hate from some people. It was something genuinely new and original and well done and those two characters are probably the only characters who could do something like it. I think there's plenty of space for ridiculous stuff in my wrestling. And even if you didn't like it, the whole segment was 5 minutes long so who cares.

Maybe I should have said, "take a break from the scene to do a song". Like a conversation- that's something that people actually do. A fight/action scene- could actually happen IRL. Nobody just starts singing and dancing spontaneously, especially to a completely choreographed routine. It breaks the 4th wall more than any amount of Russo-esque shoot angles.

I've gone back and forth over the past day trying to decide if I liked it or not. I've watched it several times- some times I laugh and enjoy it a lot, other times I cringe a lot. But I certainly won't forget it, so mission accomplished in that respect.

• Paid Members

There was some great stuff in there. Kenny Omega looking like an enormous star and an absolute dickhead. I reckon Joey Janela saw the booking for this week and went around asking people with Covid to lick him. I also loved the musical interlude - my take on it is that all Jericho and MJF's stuff has been the two of them just finding each other funny and entertaining themselves, and that their characters are doing the same thing. They're both performing and doing bits, in-character. That's fine.

Also, Penta vs Rey Fenix was the best match either have had in AEW. Really good stuff.

The situation with Reynolds was absolutely fucked - they got it REALLY wrong. I can see how some elements happened - the way he had his hand up for a bit, and was roughly where he was meant to be, doing roughly what he was meant to do, I get. I can also believe enough people in the ring were looking elsewhere that nobody was looking in the right place long enough to realise. However, the referee really fucked up, and doesn't he wear an earpiece? Whoever was producing the show should have picked up on it fast. Serious fuck-up. Eesh.

A shame to mar what was otherwise such a good show.

20 hours ago, Supremo said:

I don’t watch BTE. John Silver makes me want to start watching. If he’s half as good on that show as he’s becoming on Dynamite then I’m all in.

He's consistently hilarious on BTE. He's basically a muscular child, who cannot keep a straight face while Brodie shouts at him. Incredibly likeable. 

The Bucks/FTR feud has been shite. No way in hell they should go last. 

Mox Vs. Kingston is the money match for me. 

AEW really need to get their shit together in regards to wrestler safety. WWE were rightly ripped to shreds when Kairi got fucked up so AEW don't get a pass from me. 

The woman's division is dead on it's arse. Might pick up if Kenny's mates are ever allowed back in the US but until then it's a waste of ten minutes of TV time.

Wardlow and Jungle Boy are stars in the making. Both looked great. 

• Paid Members

* They’re going in on Wardlow, which I like, though I do have my concerns that they’ve sacrificed so many big men to Cody and Mox that he’ll just end up another big fella treading water in the upper mid-card. Still, you gotta hope for the best and this was absolutely the right result – Jungle Boy can take a few losses and still keep his “up and coming hungry young tiger” aura. Wardlow looked decent, too. I mean, he should, he’s been wrestling for a decade.

* Eddie Kingston versus Jon Moxley is turning into THE feud of the year so far, and the best thing is that it’s got a taste of the real to it. Kingston being mad at Mox for going to WWE is understandable, and for AEW fans that’s a babyface move, but the finesse is that Kingston is mad at Mox because he didn’t take HIM to WWE with him. The promos this pair have been cutting are the best I’ve seen in years, and take me back to much better days, storywise. Good work fellas!

* Did Joey Janela pull himself off the show because of Covid-19 or because he’s the smartest man in wrestling? I mean, it was totally the right thing for Omega to win with a squash – although he could have killed Kiss a tiny bit more – but Janela saw this one coming. Oh, and I loved Omega’s intro but ditch the sweepy women, Ken, eh?

* Don’t interview Orange Cassidy. Less is more.

* I LOVE Rey Fenix and the Penagon man, and this was shaping up to be one of their best matches together (I mean, they’ve had some phone-in stinkers so…) but Fenix was knocked stupid halfway through and it’s a mark of just how good he is that they did some major spots with him all loopy. The thing is, though, as they again proved later, the match should have been stopped. He wasn’t in a proper condition to carry on and the refs need to get more assertive with talent, even if it means calling an audible. Sure, Omega versus Fenix would be the better match, but did it really matter if Penta won this?

* John Silver is a wonderful, ridiculous man.

* Hangman Page looked good but did this need to go – looks it up – oh. It was only eleven minutes? It felt much, much longer. Huh. Anyway, I was half expecting shenanigans here because there’s no way they should be having Omega versus Page at Full Gear.

* I am excited for Elite Deletion. If it turns out not to be shot on the Hardy compound I reserve the right to rescind that excitement.

* There are some people who will say, quite rightly, that a comedy musical segment has no place on a fighting show. I get it, I really do. But sometimes something happens that should never, ever happen, and it’s the best thing ever (for an hour), and when Jericho and MJF broke into song after some ridiculous dinner banter… well, I wouldn’t have been watching anything else. It was so STUPID and sometimes stupid is exactly what I want. Beautiful idiots.

* Britt “Kelsi Roxx” Baker did not look as good against KiLynn King as she did against Red Velvet but she’s still very much improved.

* The Bunny is back with her husband. Continuity cop Eddie Kingston strikes again! Now get on the case of why Pac is allowed to sit at home for seven months…

* The tag-team four-way was kind of a mess but also kind of exciting and I get that that’s what you want out of these kind of matches. Plus, John Silver got to John Silver. BUT. Alex Reynolds was knocked out. And the referee didn’t notice. Worse still, he lay in the ring for two minutes and no-one checked on him. Then his corpse was revived so the Bucks could do the planned spots and no-one stopped them. Then he had to be rolled out of the ring, where he still almost got landed on. Now it’s easy to apportion blame, so I’m going to. Rick Knox is derelict in his duty here. John Silver isn’t clear, either, because you look after your partner, first and foremost. Plus, it’s a freaking FOUR-WAY so there were two other teams that could have taken those spots and everything would have been fine. It ruined the match and the end of the show for me, and I couldn’t have given a shit about FTR and Tully and a beating and the Bucks winning because Reynolds was unconscious in the ring for two whole minutes. Bad.

8 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

So you're happy to watch two guys have an intimate steak dinner on your wrestling show, but you drawn the line at musical numbers?

People go for meals to sort out business deals across all genres of tv. That itself would have had a lotta potential if shot properly. Instead we got them eating in front of a curtain which made it look like the hundreds of wwe backstage skits we have seen for years, and then into a song and dance routine which took me right out of things. If you enjoyed it good for you. I’d personally preferred more like the restaurant scene from Goodfellas than what we got from that segment.