The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

How dare a commentator use the correct/original names for these moves, rather than the Americanism/translation were used to. You grumpy bastards!

He calls it a tope con hello, that's not a thing...... 

I have no problem localising move names, lariats for Japanese, quesadora for Mexicans and what have you, but excalibur is just the wrong side of douchebaggery when he does it.

7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Pescado? 

I always understood the Suicide Dive to be the Tope Suicida, and the Tope Con Hilo to be a flip dive to the outside. 

Interesting. 

Not sure about pescado. I'm pretty sure that's Spanish for 'fish'. I'll have to pay better attention and perhaps it'll pop up on Dynamite this week, with 14 Tope Suicida and 12 Tope Con Hilo.

(I love AEW but by God there's a lot of dives!)

7 hours ago, poetofthedeed said:

I have no problem localising move names, lariats for Japanese, quesadora for Mexicans and what have you, but excalibur is just the wrong side of douchebaggery when he does it.

This.

• Paid Members

Solid episode of Dynamite I thought. It's became obvious from the last handful of shows they've finally got their pacing down. Segments bleed into each other, stories intertwine, you can see where they're placing big matches on the hours. It's getting easier and easier to watch.

Thought Miro looked the best he's ever looked physically, but I'm hoping he just ditches Kip Sabian soon because there's not many duller in AEW. Shouting GAME OVERRRRR will get over for him I bet.

Brodie vs Orange was good, but I'm tiring on Orange Cassidy now. His gimmick has a lifespan and for me it's flatlining very quickly. Brodie's promo on Cody afterwards was the best I've ever seen him do and had real old school vibes. Cody looking like Robbie Rotten is not a good look at all. The bleach blonde look was amazing for him and now it's like when Dolph Ziggler slapped on some Just For Men for a week. 

Eddie Kingston is fantastic on the mic and the show ending angle was great. Finally getting Darby vs Starks next week too which I've been waiting a while for!

Great show overall, but christ Cody looked bad. Those glittery shoes. Yikes.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, poetofthedeed said:

Con Hilo translates as with thread, i.e when a wrestlers steps on the top rope to propel themselves over the top rope into a somersault. So if you don’t like his pronunciation that’s fine, doesn’t make him wrong 

Spoiler

0ACB229E-7781-4808-8D39-5AE1C4B2ACEF.png

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Although I didn't feel that it was as good as last weeks, it was a very easy two hours to watch.

The first match was ok, but didn't flow too well. Janela and Sabian are both very sloppy together, it just didn't work at all. Sonny Kiss, however is great. Very good offence and seems quite slick in the moves. Miro seems wasted in this, completely didn't fit in at all, plus his kick pads make him look stumpy. His Camel Clutch finish didn't look great either, it looked like Kiss was the one doing all the work (which is true, but shouldn't be visable). Miro is so so much better than this, his personality is probably the best thing about him, so to have him back as a snarling grouchy heel, is a step back from the last two weeks. 

Eddie Kingston, man, what a promo that guy is. I know its something that gets said week in, week out, but that guy is as believable as they come. Easily the most believable person in wrestling as a whole. However, the digs at WWE took me out of it. Moxley storming to the ring like he was going to kill Kingston, only to just put foreheads together was a bit poor, i presume this was more of a delay in the refs / security getting to the ring than Moxley being at fault.

Hangman Page is really impressive, he just moves in a completely different way to anyone else on the show. However, going 50/50 for 20 mins with Evil Uno was a misstep, i feel. I laughed at the graphic saying 'apparently sticking with the long pants'. Kenny Omegas hair irritates the shit out of me in the same way it does on Dolph Ziggler, however he was good on comms and was actually a lot better than JR (not hard). 

The only criticism of Hangman, was the running Shooting Star Press as just another move for a 2 count. The guy is a heavy hitter, a strong man and has just busted out a running SSP, yet the comms didn't make much of a deal of it and it was also just used as another move in the middle of a match. 

The Bucks have been a highlight for me the last few weeks, especially with Tony flinching as they opened the door. I did have to laugh at Matt saying to Tony 'I know its Live TV, but give me your phone', but minutes earlier we were told this happened earlier in the day. Gave me a chuckle.

JR calling Justin Roberts the 'Dapper Yapper', christ. 

Brodie vs Cassidy was ok, however i really am tiring of Cassidys schtick now. I really wanted Colt to cost Brodie the title, but when Cody arrived at the end i realised why it didn't happen. For a big man who uses flips and dives a lot, i really like the way Brodie does it, as he isn't trying to be flashy, he is just using his big frame to squash people. 

JR was terrible in this, though. Him kicking off about the Dark Order getting involved and saying 'They're going to hurt someone', well yeah, JR, as you like to say, 'it aint ballet'.

How long until Private Party turn on Hardy? 

I just can't get in to FTR at all. However, Tully is great with how he cuts his promos, why hasn't he been used much since WCW folded?

Thunder Rosa should be at the absolute top of any company's to sign list, she's brilliant. Ivelisse, however, is a sloppy mess. Completely mis-timed on a lot of the sequences. 

Haven't had chance to watch the main yet, i will watch that later this afternoon. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, iPumaPants said:

Interesting. 

Not sure about pescado. I'm pretty sure that's Spanish for 'fish'. I'll have to pay better attention and perhaps it'll pop up on Dynamite this week, with 14 Tope Suicida and 12 Tope Con Hilo.

(I love AEW but by God there's a lot of dives!)

It means "fisherman", I think, but it is also used for any running dive to the outside. I only remember this because of the CAW mode in Legends of Wrestling, where you have the option to choose a Pescado and a Plancha. 

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Eddie Kingston, man, what a promo that guy is. I know its something that gets said week in, week out, but that guy is as believable as they come. Easily the most believable person in wrestling as a whole. However, the digs at WWE took me out of it. Moxley storming to the ring like he was going to kill Kingston, only to just put foreheads together was a bit poor, i presume this was more of a delay in the refs / security getting to the ring than Moxley being at fault.

Unpopular opinion, but I'm feeling less and less impressed by Kingston's mic work. He shouts his way through his promos and as a result, for me at least, they're starting to feel a bit repetitive. His ring gear is also terrible. 

Janela is also horrendous. It's very rare that I can't see any positives in a wrestler at all, but he's baffling in every way. I don't see what he brings to the table. Sonny Kiss, on the other hand, is seriously underutilised.

Matt Hardy continues to feel like a spare part, and I'm not sure what he brings to the Private Party package on screen (although I'm sure he's helpful to them from a behind the scenes advice perspective). I remain to be convinced that he's a good fit in AEW. 

The Women's Division also continues to feel as if it's stuck in some sort of weird, repetitious limbo. Outside of Baker/Swole and The Nightmare Collective (both of which were weak) I'm not sure AEW has run a women's storyline/feud that has felt anything more than half-hearted. 

Having said all of that...I really enjoyed this episode.

The Young Bucks are brilliant right now, and I'm really looking forward to see where they end up, same with Omega. Brodie Lee and The Dark Order continue to be a highlight, and the MJF/Jericho thing was brilliant fun. It was nice to see Cody back, although like @FelatioLips I got real Dolph Ziggler vibes from his hair. I can't wait for Best Friends/FTR, the AEW tag division is probably the best I've seen in my time watching wrestling. It's ridiculously fun. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

A plancha is technically just a crossbody or a splash (and also a particular kind of lucha front bump, because they love using the same word for multiple things), but is usually used outside of Mexico to refer to a chest-first dive to the outside. A pescado is a slingshot plancha.

A tope is any head-first dive - tope suicida is a "suicide dive", tope con hilo/giro is a somersault through the ropes. 

A quesadora is any move from the wheelbarrow position. 

I'll take Excalibur getting the names (usually) correct over Mike Tenay and practically every subsequent American announcer calling every headscissors or frankensteiner a hurricanrana.

Edited by BomberPat

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Con Hilo translates as with thread, i.e when a wrestlers steps on the top rope to propel themselves over the top rope into a somersault. So if you don’t like his pronunciation that’s fine, doesn’t make him wrong 

Reveal hidden contents

0ACB229E-7781-4808-8D39-5AE1C4B2ACEF.png

But he chooses to call it hello, it's one of his things, like the falcon arrow he's done the deal, or when he called kicks to the back fucking unnecessary. He steals them of wrestlers who join him for commentary........

• Paid Members

So Dynamite was good. 

In all seriousness though, I did thoroughly enjoy it, Cody going back to black hopefully is some kind of little note that he's got to stop showing off and trying to be cocky and instead needs to get aggressive. He's always been good with little character alterations like that the last few years. I'm excited for the rematch with Lee, it could be an absolute bloodbath. I understand where the negativity comes from in his new look, but I think it can work, bringing out a Darker side to him to fight the Dark Order. 

Cassidy was good again. The Kingston/Mox match was great though the ending (as with the one with Cage etc) didn't sit well for me. I know Kingston went onto twitter after to continue his "I didn't do this" gimmick stating he didn't tap so maybe there's something down the line for it. 

I do need Darby and Starks to finish up soon though, it's getting a bit repetitive. I'd be happy for him to win against Starks and start chasing Cage for trying to turn him into a pin cushion a few weeks back. If he can take the big man down, he's set for looking a main event talent. 

Seen there's a Jericho 30 years in wrestling celebration coming up as well. That'll be great if they let him go full Jericho on it and bring in guests, legends, promo time etc. 

Edited by Shy Dad