The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

According to multiple reports, numerous AEW wrestlers have tested positive for Covid-19. No names specifically, other than Lance Archer which was mentioned on Dynamite. 

Ben Carter too, according to his Twitter

Edited by mim731
source

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, rollthedice said:

Seeing Ivelisse makes me realise how edited Lucha Underground must have been. I've thought the same about Luchasaurus and Lucha bros (Fenix more than Penta) but man Ivelisse takes the cake. 

You only need to watch a non-Lucha Underground Mil Muertes match to see how truly great the editors and producers of that show were.

Huge fan of Kennys commentary on Hangman matches, he's very good at being a smarmy git. They seem to be building to Kenny avoiding a match with Hangman from the commentary, which is a good way to go, because Hangman chasing Kenny for the belt is money. 

Brodie Lee's promo was brilliant, what an intense son of a gun, his match vs dark haired Cody is going to be a barnburner. 

• Paid Members

Tony Schiavone earned his keep during that Cody return. I can’t tell if he’s just excellent at putting it on or if he’s genuinely having the time of his life, but either way it’s super infectious hearing him shout and scream in delight.

It’s more apparent with each passing show. Tony on commentary is like watching the show with your best mate, with you both having the best time. JR on commentary is like watching it with your grumpy Dad, constantly making snarky comments and picking holes in everything, making you feel like a prick for watching it.

I don't think they could have done a worse job with Miro's debut if they tried. What the fuck was that? He looked incredible though. Miro mixing it up with Page, Archer and Jungle Boy etc. - get it in me. This is a poor slow burn.

MJF and Jericho are bloody awesome together and I could watch a whole show on them. Ricky Starks as well. I really hate that prick.

The Young Bucks can never be babyfaces again. Not with Matt Jackson's acting!

Thank fuck Cody's back. Say what you want about him but he always gets people talking. I look over the quirks and the Cody-ness of it all, cos him and Brodie looks to be the best main event program in ages. He does it again. I dig the dog collar stip and Brodies promo was a real pleasant surprise.

10 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I don't think they could have done a worse job with Miro's debut if they tried. What the fuck was that? He looked incredible though. Miro mixing it up with Page, Archer and Jungle Boy etc. - get it in me. This is a poor slow burn.

I'm torn. I love seeing him there and I know it's very likely it'll all work out in the end just fine, but I can't help but feel it's almost the wrong time to bring him in. They've got so much going on at the moment. But then I see his happy face and hey as long as he's happy to be there I'll be happy for him too. What a guy.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, rollthedice said:

Outside of LU, I think I've only ever seen him as Judas Mesias against Abyss, so...yeah. 

That's the same with me. Such a letdown with all the build-up he got from James Mitchell.

I haven't seen any of his work as Ricky Banderas, or as non-LU Mil Muertes - if it's as bad as LaGoosh says, that's genuinely disappointing. MM is one of the best characters and the best looks I've ever seen. 

• Paid Members

Some thoughts on this weke's AEW Late Night Dynamite and AEW regular night Dynamite...

* Benjamin bloomin' Carter has SUCH an upside to him, and ever since my pal Pat (who works for Channel island World Wrestling) told me about him, and then I saw him, like, a week later, I've taken him on as a personal vicarious project. I'm so happy for him, and so blown away by him, and I can't imagine how Pat must feel. His match with Scorpio Sky was SWEET and I loved the way Jericho put him over - in fact, the way Jericho put's EVERYONE over, by saying how he hates them because they're so good. Yay Ben!

* How good is Anna Jay? She's, like, a year in and made Brandi Rhodes look like a million dollars.

* I don't know what the hell happened during the opening tag match on Dynamite but it was a MESS. I go easier on Janela than most but he was as bad as the rest, with only Sonny Kiss probably coming out of it without too much blame (and that because he's so green). The second coming of Miro has been weird so far and I want them to fix it.

* Continuity Cop Kingston got his shot at the title and then him and Mox HAD A FIGHT. Eddie cut the promo of all promos, and the match was SO good, exactly what you want from these guys, like nothing you'd see on the other side. And Eddie lost without really losing, too, so it keeps him alive. Such good booking, and entirely on the fly after a late Covid-19 thing from Lance Vance. Now Eddie's got to sort out the Allie situation...

* The whole FTR thing so far has been SO flat, despite Tully's best efforts, and I wish they'd just let them wrestle.

* Talking of tag-team clusterfucks, the women's tag just fell apart, and you can most of the blame on Ivelisse who's wrestling like she's permanently concussed. Diamante deserves better, frankly, and there are a dozen enhancement women who are more worthy of a spot on Dynamite than Ivelisse. Shida's also looked a bit off, and Thunder Rosa being so constantly good is making her look like a weak champion. I'm sure there's an easy fix but I'm not sure what it is.

* Considering he used to play a man who only made that one weird sound in WWE, Brodie Lee's promos are amazing, even if you do expect him to throw in a FUCK, like what he does on BTE. Speaking of, this week's BTE was hilarious, and John Silver's character from that show bleeding over into Dynamite is brilliant. OC losing the title fight didn't hurt him, either, because he's not supposed to be a top, top guy, and that's fine.

* "Oh, that's not a real pocket"

* Fuck Jim Ross. Week after week Excalibur has to cover for him, and even Schiavone did it this week. Taz is so good with both those guys on Dark and it's time for Ross to quietly disappear.