The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

34 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Big Tony sounds like he loves every second of being back on a westling show.

This. 

Tony's thrill of being there and his genuine enjoyment of watching the action really rubs off on me as a viewer and makes me enjoy it more. I'm so glad he is back in wrestling! 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Jake Robert's is always drenched in sweat and massively out of breath just walking to the ring. He's great in pre tapes but in front of an audience on live telly he constantly looks moments away from a heart attack.

The quality of his promos has declined dramatically since his early run with Archer and that’s a real shame. I hope he can recapture that early fire.

As for JR, his refusal to call the Silly String by name, his constant sniping at Excalibur, and his apparent dislike of what he’s watching is frustrating. They do have a ready made answer though in Taz, and I wish they’d use it. I suspect JR’s pay packet may be the problem though, making it difficult to justify removing him.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
Just now, RedRooster said:

As for JR, his refusal to call the Silly String by name, his constant sniping at Excalibur, and his apparent dislike of what he’s watching is frustrating. They do have a ready made answer though in Taz, and I wish they’d use it. I imagine JR’s pay packet makes it difficult to justify removing him though.

Totally. Since Dark has finally stopped being six hours long an episode, I've watched the last couple and Taz is great. Constantly easy, funny and smart. So much fun and it makes Dark an easy watch.

Also, I love that AEW goes with simple, straightforward booking at times. The Brandon Cutler/Peter Avalon match was really fun, and the ending was the most obvious one they could have gone for. And that wasn't a bad thing at all.

• Paid Members

The commentary on Dark is tremendous, just complete good fun. The laughs, the jokes and the banter is brilliant. 

It's taken me a while, but i think i am now fully converted to AEW. This episode was the most fun i've had with wrestling sine the NXT Takeovers of old before Ciampa / Gargano went way too long. 

• Paid Members

I really wasn't sure if the Best Friends/Proud and Powerful match would work as a main event, but that was incredibly fun. Those bumps at the end were clearly pretty safe but I cringed at every one (and I was surprised how unpleasant the blood on the concrete looked compared to on the mat) in just the right way. Then, from the point where Orange Cassidy turned up, it was just grins from there on. The idea that anyone could hate on a feud of the babyfaces beating up the assholes that called their mum names is mind-blowing to me. Trent's constant super-serious face just makes it funnier. And yes, that middle finger at the end was just the perfect ending. Brilliant stuff.

Trent throwing down the piece of wood and it bouncing up and hitting him in the face was hilarious, by the way. He handled it great, but it was still funny.

• Paid Members

No, he's definitely been onscreen at least once previously. 

Khan was already looking to get into the business and approached The Elite when he saw the big money and press they were making with Bullet Club shirts, BTE and All Out. Before he even met either the Bucks or Cody he was already having conversations with people in the television industry he knew about a new wrestling show and whether they'd be interested.

Edited by LaGoosh

34 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Is that the first on-screen appearance of Tony Khan?

Genuine question - How did the Tony Khan/The Elite relationship come to be? Did they just make a lot of noise about wanting to change the business and he was the first/only person to take the bait?

He's been on screen a load of times (awkwardly congratulating Nyla Rose for one back in February) and a few other times just sort of appearing at the gorilla etc. He gets name dropped on TV all the time too but in passing if they need to announce something. Basically Jack Tunney, but he wears casual clothes so he's killing the business.

Whatever poor sod is building the AEW video game, he might as well go back to square one. Between the Stadium Stampede, Mimosa Mayhem, and now the Parking Lot Fight, the last thing I want is a straight wrestling sim. Wild brawls in crazy locations. Comedy collision detection. Special rules for each character. You've picked Trent? Here's an Orange meter that fills up when you take a kicking. Get it full and Cassidy appears out of nowhere - through a door, out of a car boot, abseiling in like a denim-clad Sting - and batters everyone. Orange Cassidy as Golden Axe potion proxy. As Cassidy himself, you have to dodge three times before your attack buttons even work.

It's stupid, but that's what AEW does to my brain at the moment. There's something joyful about those shows that make me really enjoy wrestling like I did when I first got properly into it during the Attitude Era. Big dumb fun, exciting matches, great character moments.

Will probably post more thoughts once I'm done smiling after that main event.

Edited by CavemanLynn

49 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Apparently, Ivelisse and Thunder Rosa were shooting in their match, things were frosty back stage prior to their match and things went too far in the ring. Their tag match next week will be interesting. 

If that's the case then they've had two weeks to cool off