Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

BomberPat is right. Her big reveal was during the bloody pre-show. Yeah they repeated it on the card but why not, you know, DO IT DURING THE FUCKING SHOW IF YOUR GOING TO REPEAT THE FOOTAGE ANYWAY?!?

I’m not just talking about her appearance in Fastlane - I’m talking about everything WWE has done to present her signing as a big deal so far. This was her first appearance on TV, but it’s far from the first time she’s been referenced on WWE television. They’ve done a tremendous job of building her up. 

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

She’s getting the big Cody push right now, but she’ll be on NXT this time next year after that push. Not as demotion but character building.

I think that’s unlikely. If she’s able to hold up her end of the bargain, she’ll be one of their top female stars, if not their top female star. I wouldn’t be shocked in any way if she was to headline Wrestlemania at some point over the next two years. 

9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

She felt import to AEW, but was offered more to go. Tony said she gave them the offer, he countered. They countered and he said it was more than a lot of upper card people were getting.

That’s in itself is a bit of a window into how Tony Khan treats female wrestlers. AEW made a big deal about equal pay when they first started up. Female wrestlers would get paid the same as a male wrestler on the same position on the card. That may well be true, but what chance would Cargill  - or any other female wrestler - have to earn main event level money, when the opportunity doesn’t exist in AEW for women to become main event wrestlers?

Jade Cargill has been presented as an absolute superstar so far.

Her getting out of the limo and being met by the man who runs the business is big time. It doesn't showcase "Daddy H" (what the actual fuck is this?) at all, and that seems a bit unfair in my opinion.

Also, BONK! My word. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Her big reveal was during the bloody pre-show. Yeah they repeated it on the card but why not, you know, DO IT DURING THE FUCKING SHOW IF YOUR GOING TO REPEAT THE FOOTAGE ANYWAY?!!

For "Jade Cargill is in the building, she might do something (i.e. make her actual debut) during the main show, you'd better buy it in case" reasons I guess.

Same reason AEW first showed Mercedes in the Wembley crowd on the pre-show.

12 minutes ago, Statto said:

For "Jade Cargill is in the building, she might do something (i.e. make her actual debut) during the main show, you'd better buy it in case" reasons I guess.

Same reason AEW first showed Mercedes in the Wembley crowd on the pre-show.

That'd be fine, but it feels incomplete. During All In they went back to Mercedes still sat up in her seats enjoying the show.

I can only assume Jade got stuck talking to people in catering that she didn't have time to take up her seats in front row or in a suite. From what's been said they never did anything with it during the show except replay the arrival footage.

Probably one of the shortest cards they’ve ran for a PLE and it utterly worked, all 5 matches were given time to breathe, we got the surprise tag title change to feed more into the issues in Judgement Day, the not so surprise return of Carlito who looked fantastic and still has the best version of the backstabber/cracker, Miss Nepobaby not winning a Women’s title for once, Big Match John being his usual self and LA Knight proving again why he’s the best Babyface not named Cody Rhodes or Sami Zayn and a decent main

Interested to see what they go with for Crown Jewel, especially with Reigns back on TV on Friday

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

And you're basing this on what exactly?

1- Cody’s run

2- Jade’s still very green (pun not intended) in the ring, and she needs great workers to make her shine (like AEW, only a few of those)

3- Pushed women on the main roster who don’t remain over/need more training. Think people like Mandy Rose as an example. 

I’d like to be wrong, I liked her in AEW, despite her flaws, but they are treating her like a Cody, and work rate rise, she’s entering a division with a lot of talent with years of WWE ring experience.

• Paid Members

I don't think I ever saw a Jade Cargill match in AEW and from what I can gather from people who have watched a lot of her, she was always booked in matches that were entirely geared to accentuating her positives. So there are understandably question marks about what she can do in WWE. But they could continue to book her that way in WWE and build up her abilities to work more challenging matches. They're more inclined to do that there than in AEW where women's wrestling is sadly an afterthought.

She looks an absolute star though. The way they've presented her as such and made a big deal about her, and she's already repaid that with her enthusiasm and look. I thought they did the right thing presenting her as they did during Fastlane, you don't want to push things with her too quickly. Let people find out who she is first and build her up, then send her out there. I'd say it's going to be very interesting if they are tempted already to have her win the Royal Rumble or just have her do a long run in it to build up some buzz.

• Paid Members

Jade signing was broken by ESPN, she's had multiple promotional tweets by the WWE account, had other stars talk about her in interviews outside of WWE such as Bobby Lashley talking about recruiting her for his new stable, shown getting out of a fancy car shaking hands with the man in charge, that's a pretty strong signing so far if you ask me.

She hasn't been shown in a 'Property of WWE' shirt, debuted front row of NXT or had her name changed to 'Jade Storm' or some shit (yet), so I'd say she's getting a lot, lot better than other indie or folk from other companies that have signed in the past. 

She was at times, presented as a big deal in AEW, no one can say otherwise. She went on a god knows how long winning streak, how they capitalised on the momentum is another matter, but they did do well with her there's no denying that.

How they follow up is another matter, but I'm happy to stay on the train so far.

21 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

BomberPat is right. Her big reveal was during the bloody pre-show. Yeah they repeated it on the card but why not, you know, DO IT DURING THE FUCKING SHOW IF YOUR GOING TO REPEAT THE FOOTAGE ANYWAY?!?

The pre-show was free to watch without a Peacock/Network subscription. There'll probably be plenty of people who only watch that, and not the actual PPV, so it makes sense to announce their latest big name to as many viewers as possible.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

The pre-show was free to watch without a Peacock/Network subscription. There'll probably be plenty of people who only watch that, and not the actual PPV, so it makes sense to announce their latest big name to as many viewers as possible.

But they already announced her already. They already showed her on TV. They could have waited until Raw 2 days later, or promoted her coming to Smackdown or as almost every star of the last decade is going to be on it, NXT. If anything that makes it even worse to blow it on a pre show that even people watching the PPV often skip.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But they already announced her already. They already showed her on TV. They could have waited until Raw 2 days later, or promoted her coming to Smackdown or as almost every star of the last decade is going to be on it, NXT. If anything that makes it even worse to blow it on a pre show that even people watching the PPV often skip.

All she did was get out of a car and shake hands with The Game. 

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Swap "announce" for "promote" then. Regardless of whether she's appeared on TV already or not, it makes perfect sense to have her appear absolutely everywhere if they're wanting to give the impression that she's a big deal.