Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think that's the key there - it just feels fun and enjoyable to watch now rather than a chore. It didn't need to be a super stacked show from top to bottom. They did enough. The crowd enjoyed it. It was an easy Sunday morning watch. Everyone's having a good time.

It's amazing how much easier wrestling is to watch when things are over.

I re-watched the ten man tag from Raw 2000 last week - DX and the Radicals v Rock, Foley, Rikishi and Too Cool. In any other situation it is a really basic match but everything was so stupidly over that it was a really fun, entertaining watch.

I imagine the wrestlers prefer it too as it means it is much easier to get a reaction. 

Long may it continue. 

Yeah, really enjoyed the tag - watching Cena play Ricky Morton like that was great.  Like with MJF, it’s a pleasure to watch simple wrestling done properly in front of a hot crowd.

And as I suspected Knight’s work and offence is perfect for WWE main event style.  He’s smooth, can look explosive at the right moments and his finisher looks devastating.  That jump onto the turn buckle for the throw looks great too.

He’s a lock now as their next big star, this Cena rub just confirms it.  The guy has IT.

The maddest thing about this show for me is how big a deal Jade Cargill feels before she’s even wrestled a match. She feels more important than she ever did during her time in AEW, and while that’s partly down to Tony Khan’s negligent approach to women’s wrestling, it really shows the power of presenting someone as a star. AEW could definitely learn lessons from that, to make the most of people like MJF, Takeshita, Swerve, Hangman and even Sting. 

Edited by RedRooster

39 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Is it right the Jade getting out the car bit didn't happen on the PPV and there was no real follow-up during the show?

They showed it on the show, but it was just an ‘earlier tonight this happened’ type thing.

If she’s not quite ready to be lobbed in the deep end, I think they’re being quite smart with her. Treating her like a huge star and slowly increasing her profile, so anyone watching who doesn’t also watch AEW can familiarise themselves with her. She looked an absolute superstar when she got out the car.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I hope they never finish the story. This is a far better story. What a pair of lads.

I love how committed Cody is to his gimmick. He didn’t have a few drinks, oh no, he had libations. Never change.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

The maddest thing about this show for me is how big a deal Jade Cargill feels before she’s even wrestled a match. She feels more important than she ever did during her time in AEW, and while that’s partly down to Tony Khan’s negligent approach to women’s wrestling, it really shows the power of presenting someone as a star. AEW could definitely learn lessons from that, to make the most of people like MJF, Takeshita, Swerve, Hangman and even Sting. 

Perspective is everything,  but Jade's first match in AEW was teaming with Shaquille O'Neal. In terms of recognising star power, I don't really buy "shaking hands with Triple H" as being a level above that, and actually it fears far more like a cynical attempt to bring back "Daddy H", the guy who loves the indie stars, than it does a recognition of Cargill's star power. 

5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Perspective is everything,  but Jade's first match in AEW was teaming with Shaquille O'Neal. In terms of recognising star power, I don't really buy "shaking hands with Triple H" as being a level above that, and actually it fears far more like a cynical attempt to bring back "Daddy H", the guy who loves the indie stars, than it does a recognition of Cargill's star power. 

Totally true - but who remembers that now? They just didn’t capitalise it. Clearly someone recognised the potential she had to put her in that position in the first place, but she was never presented as the megastar WWE is seemingly positioning her as. She had the unbeaten streak, but outside of her matches no one spoke about it - she kind of existed in her own universe, which happens a lot in AEW. In WWE, everything at least feels part of the same ecosystem.

Ultimately, she didn’t end up feeling important to AEW - but WWE are making it clear she’s important to them. 

As far as Triple H goes, I don’t agree with you there - having him greet her as opposed to, say, Adam Pearce, really positions her as a cut above. I’m not sure who else they could have put in that position that would have that same effect.

• Paid Members

Hello! I watched this WWE PLE not PPV on my PC. Just five matches?!

Jey Uso & Cody Rhodes vs Finn Balor and Damian Priest

Really solid and enjoyable traditional tag team match to kick off with. Cody slowly being pushed back into the Bloodline's way by teaming with Jey against a team likely to form an alliance with them is nice subplot stuff from WWE. Michael Cole with a Bullet Club reference just for anyone who thinks Vince is back in charge. Overbooked towards the end but a blast, and my boy Priest doing some superb all-match knee selling. What a guy.

LWO vs Street Profits and Bobby Lashley

Loved the matching Profits / Lashley gear, good attention to detail. This match was stupid though. We all knew who was coming out, just fucking start like that. Carlito looks absolutely great though, so there is that. Bring his old fucking music back though.

Iyo Sky vs Asuka vs 🐐

I don't like Iyo Sky. She's supposed to be a heel and doesn't even try to be one at all. I wish this had just been Charlotte vs Asuka. This just didn't get going at all and went on too long like almost everything in this show.

John Cena and LA Knight vs The Bloodline

LA Knight is still, and will always be, shit. Heyman's grey rinse is hilarious and a great touch. Jimmy Uso's cocky act is well done and Solo's responses to him. Cena will always have it. Really good match, simply done and not overdone.

Seth Rollins vs Shinsuke Nakamura

Here comes The King of Strong Style, with the piss weakest looking offence since Booker T. All entrance and nothing else. If you can't enjoy Seth Rollins' increasingly surreal outfits then why are you even watching pretend fighting. People who chant "We want tables" are the worst nonces. Standard last man standing match, quite good fun, like the whole of the show.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Clearly someone recognised the potential she had to put her in that position in the first place

Cody? I'm thinking with a few AEW contracts allegedly coming up soon Cody's signing will REALLY start to pay off as he can tell HHH and Vince the talents to look at who he had a relationship with that would consider jumping. He clearly is a fan of Jade and likely put a word in for her or made it known to her that WWE was interested in the first place. I imagine he will do the same for Ricky Starks and MJF too when the time comes.  

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Totally true - but who remembers that now? They just didn’t capitalise it. Clearly someone recognised the potential she had to put her in that position in the first place, but she was never presented as the megastar WWE is seemingly positioning her as. She had the unbeaten streak, but outside of her matches no one spoke about it - she kind of existed in her own universe, which happens a lot in AEW. In WWE, everything at least feels part of the same ecosystem.

Ultimately, she didn’t end up feeling important to AEW - but WWE are making it clear she’s important to them. 

As far as Triple H goes, I don’t agree with you there - having him greet her as opposed to, say, Adam Pearce, really positions her as a cut above. I’m not sure who else they could have put in that position that would have that same effect.

BomberPat is right. Her big reveal was during the bloody pre-show. Yeah they repeated it on the card but why not, you know, DO IT DURING THE FUCKING SHOW IF YOUR GOING TO REPEAT THE FOOTAGE ANYWAY?!?

She felt import to AEW, but was offered more to go. Tony said she gave them the offer, he countered. They countered and he said it was more than a lot of upper card people were getting. She’s getting the big Cody push right now, but she’ll be on NXT this time next year after that push. Not as demotion but character building.