Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
On 10/20/2023 at 11:30 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Isn't it Crown Jewel where they have the matches they never want mentioned again? Didn't Logan Paul wrestle Roman at Crown Jewel? 

Yup. Plus Taker vs Goldberg, Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez and other disasters.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Yup. Plus Taker vs Goldberg, Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez and other disasters.

You can't put Roman Reigns vs Logan Paul in the same category as those matches 

Roman and Logan had an absolute better of a match

In fact the last few Saudi shows have been pretty good, they are far from the legends last hurrah type shows they were the first couple years of going over there.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

You can't put Roman Reigns vs Logan Paul in the same category as those matches

I can. The category was matches that have happened in Saudi.

EDIT - although if I hold myself by my own pedantic standards.... Taker vs Goldberg was a "Super Showdown" rather than a "Crown Jewel" so, not really relevant. Tomato, tomato.

Edited by air_raid

To be fair, there’s been no regional escalation beyond the expected so there’s no real compelling immediate reason to cancel if security can be assured.

I know quite a few people who’ve flown out to Saudi to work the Fury event, and they seem to be having a decent time.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Is everyone confidently saying this show happens then and in Saudi Arabia with everything right now and the clear evidence that the danger is so high that there safety can't be guaranteed 

At the 2022 Saudi Grand Prix you could see the Houthi rebels launching a rocket attack on targets less than a mile away from the track and everything continued as normal. The Saudi's won't let anything happen to foreign nationals unless they are the ones doing the killing. This will be going ahead. 

Yeah the days of them being these wacko shows with random matches between over the hill ancients are long gone, its unfair it still has that tag. It's turned into a big time feel event now and always has the big stars on it.

Crowd are usually a lot better now as well, it'll be a decent show.

• Paid Members

The fact that it's only pro-wrestling and isn't held to any decent moral standards is in evidence again. WWE didn't even cancel the shows in the wake of Jamal Khashoggi's murder and have never faced 1% of the scrutiny and column inches that the Newcastle United takeover has in any real media for this relationship. 

That's to be expected. We are talking about an industry that was able to simply ride out the biggest name in its history's sexual misconduct and covering of rape allegations with his dirty money and rather than causing the catastrophic damage it would to any company in the real world - they set financial records and complete a mega-takeover that puts the "rapist" in a position of wealth and power that is unacceptable and unbecoming.

I expect nothing less from the media, particularly in the US. But it's scandalous that on a forum of hardcore fans with access to all the information and incredibly long memories that the absolute disgrace that are these bought and paid for Saudi shows from the "look at us we're nice guys who aren't really chopping up journalists and funding terrorists, honest, and our attitude to women, migrant workers and homosexuality isn't really from the middle ages, shush, be straight" nobs are reduced to complaints about shit DX and Goldberg matches. Even if you're a "I just wanna watch wrestling" moron, the Syrian fella being banned from appearing, the women wrestling in ninja outfits and the entire roster being stuck on a runway in clear distress should make you ashamed of this garbage. I've only ever watched the first one and I'm embarrassed that I did.

It's not a Shitshow because it's rubbish. That's the very bottom of the list of all the problems with it. 

21 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The fact that it's only pro-wrestling and isn't held to any decent moral standards is in evidence again. WWE didn't even cancel the shows in the wake of Jamal Khashoggi's murder and have never faced 1% of the scrutiny and column inches that the Newcastle United takeover has in any real media for this relationship. 

That's to be expected. We are talking about an industry that was able to simply ride out the biggest name in its history's sexual misconduct and covering of rape allegations with his dirty money and rather than causing the catastrophic damage it would to any company in the real world - they set financial records and complete a mega-takeover that puts the "rapist" in a position of wealth and power that is unacceptable and unbecoming.

I expect nothing less from the media, particularly in the US. But it's scandalous that on a forum of hardcore fans with access to all the information and incredibly long memories that the absolute disgrace that are these bought and paid for Saudi shows from the "look at us we're nice guys who aren't really chopping up journalists and funding terrorists, honest, and our attitude to women, migrant workers and homosexuality isn't really from the middle ages, shush, be straight" nobs are reduced to complaints about shit DX and Goldberg matches. Even if you're a "I just wanna watch wrestling" moron, the Syrian fella being banned from appearing, the women wrestling in ninja outfits and the entire roster being stuck on a runway in clear distress should make you ashamed of this garbage. I've only ever watched the first one and I'm embarrassed that I did.

It's not a Shitshow because it's rubbish. That's the very bottom of the list of all the problems with it. 

I want to agree with this. Genuinely I do.

But I think in a life as short and as often difficult as people have, expecting them to police their personal choice of entertainment to this degree is exhausting and unfair.

UFC, F1, WWE, Football… every fucker is trying to get in on the Saudi/Qatar billions, and in an ideal world they wouldn’t sure (though that then opens the argument of whether you’re excluding a region of the world from entertainment based solely on who they are, which is another tough conversation), but they are and I don’t expect Steve the Sparky who’s worked a 50 hour week to turn off the F1 coverage, his one remaining joy in the week, because Bernie Whoever the fuck did a dodgy deal with the Prince. 

No one asked Vince to do this, nor could they have stopped it. Equally if Coventry City were sold to the Saudi’s I’d still go to games, even if I wouldn’t have signed that deal myself.

Excluding yourself from a party that’s just getting started and will eventually envelope everything you love or like is a complete waste of time, when the only one that hurts is you.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

But I think in a life as short and as often difficult as people have, expecting them to police their personal choice of entertainment to this degree is exhausting and unfair.

People can do what they want. We all know that. Some people vote Tory. Some people listen to Gary Glitter. Some people support Spurs.

There's also a degree of personal choice here.  Like, if you find that the presence of Ric Flair or Jay Lethal unsettles you, you can choose to not watch that product.  If enough people do that, the producers of that show will get the message.

My brother lives in Dubai and I have a standing invitation to visit him, but I've chosen not to because being a soft liberal I feel very uncomfortable with adding to the legitimisation of the UAE and its appalling human rights record.  I don't get much holiday each year, I'd rather not spend it somewhere like Dubai.

But plenty of my mates LOVE Dubai and are always going there for the brunches and the shopping and whatnot.   They have different philosophies and morals to me and they choose where to draw the line - so some of them are vegan whereas I'm an affirmed meat-eater still.

I guess my point is that if YOU dislike the implications of a product or an entertainment brand or whatever, you can choose to forego it but keep in mind that not everyone feels the same about everything as you do, and although it's easy to assume that your personal lines and demarcations are absolute and should be universal, they probably aren't and shouldn't be.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Loki said:

My brother lives in Dubai and I have a standing invitation to visit him, but I've chosen not to because being a soft liberal I feel very uncomfortable with adding to the legitimisation of the UAE and its appalling human rights record.  I don't get much holiday each year, I'd rather not spend it somewhere like Dubai.

But plenty of my mates LOVE Dubai and are always going there for the brunches and the shopping and whatnot.   They have different philosophies and morals to me and they choose where to draw the line - so some of them are vegan whereas I'm an affirmed meat-eater still.

The equivalent to this will be when you do go to Dubai in 5 years time. 

"Have they sorted their human rights record?"

"No, but they have a GAP now."