The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I watched the YouTube edit which is good but lacks perspective. When I read a review and realised how short the 2/3 falls match was and also Styles/Ricochet, I just don't get the point. You may aswell have just cut to commercial after the entrances, as they often do anyway. Having 2/3 falls as a way to get a 15 minute match on TV is unnecessary but makes sense if you must. Having a 2/3 falls match go 4 minutes is just lunacy.

It'll end up in one of those TNA situations where nobody seems able to Wrestle more than 7 minutes at a time on TV, but they expect you to tune into the network/buy the PPV to see them go 30 minutes. Why do they have the extra stamina for PPV or house shows? 

You knew we were in for something different when the show simply opened with a hot match. Lovely. When was the last time there was a "This is awesome" chant 10 minutes into Raw? They couldn't help but overdo it with the pyro stuff but Lashley/Strowman was good daft fun. Corey's "holy shit!" added to the moment and the screen blacking out with the over the head camera shots made all this feel different and relatively fresh. Nice way to heat up this feud and kick off the Heyman (?) era with a bang.

AJ Styles turns heel. At. Fucking. Last. Finally!! we have a credible heel that people actually want to fucking watch. Putting The Club back together is a good move, book them strong with some good multiman tags and old fashioned stable beatdowns, throw some fresh babyface trios into the mix and we could have a winner. Boy, have I missed heel AJ. His previous heel run was the best world championship reign they've done in years, and no disrespect to Ricochet but I'm all down with Styles getting a little run at the top. Get that title off Seth, I want the goofy, gobby, Cena armband wearing AJ Styles back. The Champ That Runs the Camp. 

The backstage segments felt like they had purpose - the Good Brothers, Styles/Ricochet, 24/7 title, and the Bliss/Cross story all bubbled along nicely throughout the show. 

Best thing of all is Drake Maverick. Think the first time I saw this guy was on Snog, Marry, Avoid. He just looked like some shitty backyard PS Hayes tribute gimmick and a bratty chancer in way over his head. Good God he's awesome. Absolutely chuffed to see this 5-foot nothing Brummie make it in the big leagues. He's an absolute grafter and quite easily the best actor on the show.  Not everything with the 24/7 title hits home for me, but Maverick and R Truth are a genuine delight to watch. Their stuff together is just light, breezy, good-natured fun, and there's not a hint of nudge-nudge-wink cynicism to their performance. And good on WWE for embracing the social media aspect to give all this legs. Looking foward to the honeymoon.

There's still work to be done though. Paul needs to have a word about this "no matches during the break" edict. While the non-wrestling stuff is clicking, this new direction is completely sucking the life out of the matches. With 15 minutes left on the clock, instead of settling down to enjoy Styles vs Ricochet I was just waiting to see what new contrived nonsense they would come up with to get to the ad break and restart. The 2/3 falls stip is being beaten into the ground and guys getting finished off like scrubs in 30 seconds is jarring. 

Seth and Becky are a bad, awkward onscreen couple. They should pull the plug on it post-PPV before they lose popularity. Hell, Corbin and Lacey have more chemistry than these two! Credit again though for them pushing Becky as the star of the couple, cos she blatantly is.

What the fuck was the Kanellis stuff about? Poor Mike got emasculated so hard even Stephanie would have blushed. Weird. 

Random Street Prophets was weird as fuck as well. No way they're yanking up another NXT team already are they? Hopefully they take good care of Montez because the guy's a fucking star. Good on Heyman too for giving them a nice little rub in that skit as well.

First full show I've watched in months. Solid thumbs up.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I’d never really seen Drake before arriving in WWE, heard lots about his work prior, but never seen it.

I’ve grown to have a lot of time for him since the way he handled the run in on Bret at HOF this year. 

3 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Seth and Becky are a bad, awkward onscreen couple

So much so that at the end of Stomping Grounds I was questioning if they're relationship is a complete work.

The "ahh pffft ah" bit from Becky on Raw was embarrassing. They dont look natural together at all.

I'm waiting for Seth to take Beckys surname...

Edited by rollthedice

• Paid Members

Spectacular.

Rumour has it that Maria is legitimately pregnant again. Hilarious. Just after they re-sign a five year deal, likely for even more money, she tells them she’s going to be taking another load of maternity time off. If true, I fully suspect they took their frustration out on Mike by scripting him to look such a prick.

Edited by Supremo

With Lashers wrecking the Raw set, hopefully it will lead to a new set next week and some difference aesthetically between Raw and SD appearance wise. Didn't similar happen when Rhyno gored Jericho through the old Smackdown space ship set years ago?

Enjoyed it mostly.

Cole was pretty close to the 'Owen Hart Voice' during that opening angle though. Him telling me that WWE take care of all their Superstars, but some things can happen that they can't control isn't something I need to hear.

Great heel turn though.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DCW said:

With Lashers wrecking the Raw set, hopefully it will lead to a new set next week and some difference aesthetically between Raw and SD appearance wise. Didn't similar happen when Rhyno gored Jericho through the old Smackdown space ship set years ago?

Yeah the next week they introduced the big fist which I loved (fuck off Kenneth Williams). Always thought that was one of the cooler sets. Looked like it’d have been a bit of a bastard to set up and move from state to state though. 

5 hours ago, rollthedice said:

So much so that at the end of Stomping Grounds I was questioning if they're relationship is a complete work.

The "ahh pffft ah" bit from Becky on Raw was embarrassing. They dont look natural together at all.

I'm waiting for Seth to take Beckys surname...

I'm glad to see it isn't just me with the Becky/Seth stuff.

The two of them come across awful nearly all the time for me. I feel like they're being pushed as really cool, badass top faces but they seem like they couldn't be further than that on every aspect.

Edited to add more on the subject - I feel like their characters are more akin to the stereotypical high school jock typecast where they go around acting like they're super tough but are actually severely delyded. They make corny and completely unfunny jokes and one liners that they then give aggressive stares towards their hangers on to laugh along to but deep down even those people feel they're cringeworthy.

A couple of weeks back you had Seth running around repeatedly smashing people with a chair if they dared to agree to be a special guest referee. He wasn't doing it to people he caught agreeing to screw him for a big payday or a future title shot. He was just doing it to make absolutely anyone afraid of accepting the role.

It was the most insecure, weak, paranoid behaviour imagineable and this is supposedly their badass top face champion.

Add that to his constant cringeworthy "ooh please love me I think I'm brilliant" tweets and it really is a colossal clusterfuck.

If all this is however a cunning plan to make me wish Reigns was champion instead it's a fucking masterstroke.

Edited by Jonny Vegas