Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

I’m planning on listening to Talking Sopranos alongside a rewatch once I get finished with Series 3 of Inside Oz. Their touring show got rescheduled to next year but I couldn’t justify the price and I would imagine a lot of that will get covered here too.

I did try a rewatch last year and got to S4 but stuff got in the way and I probably need to start over.

• Moderators
On 12/31/2019 at 10:40 AM, Loki said:

Has anyone else found Gossip Mongers? It's 3 people reading out scurrilous and usually obscenely biological bits of local scandal that get sent in, then they choose one and the girl has to shout it out of the window to unsuspecting passers-by.

It's the opposite of sophisticated comedy, but it is bloody hilarious.

On this recommendation, I started listening, and with all the pooing and wanking stories, obviously it became an instant favourite. But I'm really soured on it by recent events. Poppy got removed from the graphics a few months ago, and the two lads (David Earl and Joe Wilkinson off the telly) started a Patreon for the show without her, and the show's Twitter account blocked anyone who asked about it. Then today: 

Real shitty.

It's not exactly new but I'm going through the Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon season of You Must Remember This and it's pretty great, it goes through all the early 1900's hollywood scandals there were written about in the book and tries to find what's fact and fiction. It's an era of Hollywood I know zero about but I'm finding it so interesting.

Karina Longworth's a great host and it works well with just her, I'd listened to the Charles Manson season just before watching the last Tarantino film and that's 100% worth a download too.

12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's not exactly new but I'm going through the Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon season of You Must Remember This and it's pretty great, it goes through all the early 1900's hollywood scandals there were written about in the book and tries to find what's fact and fiction. It's an era of Hollywood I know zero about but I'm finding it so interesting.

Karina Longworth's a great host and it works well with just her, I'd listened to the Charles Manson season just before watching the last Tarantino film and that's 100% worth a download too.

I have been listening to this series for over three years now and it's absolutely fantastic listening. The series on the Blacklist and Hollywood stars in WW2 are brilliant. 

For any sports fans I recommend The Socially Distant Sports Bar. A pearl of a podcast where Elis James, Mike Bubbins and Steff Gerrano all just chat about old or recent sports clips. This show goes absolutely all over the place and is a superb listen if only because you'd need a scant interest in sport to even like it. The show is more based around Gerrano as the more straight man host as James and Bubbins go off into all manner of tangents usually relating to Wales or some insane life story Bubbins has. The clips they discuss veer from stuff like Eddie Hall telling us what he has for breakfast, to Ali Dia to Paul Sykes going on about sharks. Superb.

On 9/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

On this recommendation, I started listening, and with all the pooing and wanking stories, obviously it became an instant favourite. But I'm really soured on it by recent events. Poppy got removed from the graphics a few months ago, and the two lads (David Earl and Joe Wilkinson off the telly) started a Patreon for the show without her, and the show's Twitter account blocked anyone who asked about it. Then today: 

Real shitty.

Ditto. They did a live stream a month or so back and actively blocked anyone who asked about Poppy. It's been handled in such a strange way. Zero damage control whatsoever - they've been so combative about it from the start I assumed they were playing it for laughs and there was an innocent reason behind the departure. Obviously not. 

• Moderators
11 hours ago, CTXRussomark said:

Ditto. They did a live stream a month or so back and actively blocked anyone who asked about Poppy. It's been handled in such a strange way. Zero damage control whatsoever - they've been so combative about it from the start I assumed they were playing it for laughs and there was an innocent reason behind the departure. Obviously not. 

The fallout from this seems like it's killed the show stone dead. These days, you can't ride out the amount of negative comments they're getting and hope it goes away, and they've dropped a ton of Patrons. David Earl deleting his Twitter account and posting on Patreon that Poppy supporters are a "vile bandwagon" isn't going to fix it.

It sucks, because for a while, it was one of the funniest things being put out anywhere, but I listened to the new episode out of curiosity and it was genuinely dreadful. Really piss-weak stories and forced laughter that went on for ages, repeating everything to pad out the already-short run-time to (presumably) get more ads in, the same way the last series had those shit robot-voice interludes sometimes running 4 or 5 minutes.

Conversely, Poppy's new show is #5 in the iTunes comedy charts, while Gossipmongers sits many places below, with a bunch of fresh 1 star reviews. Nice one, lads, you completely fucked it.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Awards Moderator

Following the previously discussed 'every white man of a certain age must podcast' trope, a friend and I started a podcast a few weeks back. When lockdown began we started watching trash films (I reviewed some of them in the old films thread). We decided to start recording the conversations and publish for all our nans to listen to. Now you can too. 

IMG_20200919_171813_856.jpg.e73d1124064e2000e530134375c96be3.jpg

https://anchor.fm/wwbf