Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members

There’s a few film podcasts out there that review a film, whether that be old or new, every week in detail. I make sure I watch the film before listening and get a lot of enjoyment listening along to the podcast after it.

My question is are there any podcasts that do this but for books? Almost like a book club I guess? I want to start reading more and this kind of thing would really help.

• Awards Moderator
24 minutes ago, waters44 said:

There’s a few film podcasts out there that review a film, whether that be old or new, every week in detail. I make sure I watch the film before listening and get a lot of enjoyment listening along to the podcast after it.

My question is are there any podcasts that do this but for books? Almost like a book club I guess? I want to start reading more and this kind of thing would really help.

This isn’t quite that, but it is one I’ve heard of because it’s a spin-off of something I listen to.

Book Cheat podcast

• 2 weeks later...

Quite like him as a writer, but yeah he's not great on there.

Truth & Movies from the Little White Lies is great as is The Film Programme on Radio 4. A mix of new reviews, mini Doc's etc.

And obviously the GOATs, Kermode and Mayo.

If you find any other decent ones, let me know. 

• Paid Members

Cheers @SuperBacon. I'll check out The Film Programme. Total Film have a podcast out now which I'll give a listen to too.

I loved Truth and Movies at first when James Richardson hosted it but found it got increasingly pretentious over time. Good film club, mind.

Kermode and Mayo are always part of my weekly listening but that's out of habit more than anything. 

Regarding Chris Hewitt, I thought he was fine a few years back but he seems to have decided upon a man-child gimmick which is painfully unfunny. He's also one of the least funny guys on Twitter too which is quite the accomplishment.

They also decided to put their spoiler specials beyond a paywall too, which was fine (I paid as I think they're a great listen for the most part), but this also coincided with Hewitt continously whinging about how much hard work they are to put together plus promising podcasts 'next week' and not delivering them for another two months. Fine when its free but rubbish when you're paying for the service.

It's a shame really as I love listening to bellend James Dyer, Helen O'Hara, Ben Travis, Amon Warmann etc but Hewitt drags the whole lot down. It's no coincidence the Pilot TV podcast from the same guys is a ton better.

I prefer deep dive/long form film pods to be honest. I'll get reviews from Kermode and the Guardian/Observer/Sight & Sound if I want to see one, so I don't listen to a lot of "news" podcasts if that makes sense.

Despite Kefin being a bit annoying (I still like him though), Cinema Swirl is still my favourite film podcast. Just a simple idea executed really well.

I love the 3/4 hour director ones on...the name escapes me now and the cat is on me with my phone out of reach.

I'll pop it in later. It's bloody great.

@Lorne MalvoEdit: She ran off. Pure Cinema Podcast. Their 3 part series on Scorsese is around 12 hours long, but well worth the investment.

Directors Club is another one that's worth checking out.

Edited by SuperBacon
The cat ran away to go and annoy the rats.

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested or that cares, which I appriciate probably isn’t many, I’ve launched the third series of Inside Oz today in all the usual places. Been a long time coming due to everything going to shit this year, but I’m pleased with the outcome.

http://insideozpodcast.podbean.com

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator
On 7/31/2020 at 10:37 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

For anyone interested or that cares, which I appriciate probably isn’t many, I’ve launched the third series of Inside Oz today in all the usual places. Been a long time coming due to everything going to shit this year, but I’m pleased with the outcome.

http://insideozpodcast.podbean.com

Very much enjoyed the little section on brass knuckles in the latest episode.

16 hours ago, gmoney said:

I've only heard one podcast with Sam Harris, where he debated with and lost handily to Dan Carlin in a discussion about American interventionalism. He came across as a bit of dick. 

What was that? Listened to Carlin’s Hardcore History pods and that sounds like a good listen.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, wordsfromlee said:

I'm not sure if anyone here listens to Reply All but it's well worth a listen. It's basically about tech and the internet and quite often they'll do investigations into tech/internet-based mysteries and things like that. The most recent episode is a brilliant example. A ridiculously interesting episode that's also a hell of a story!

Listened to that lost song one, loved it. Thanks for the recco!