Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Awards Moderator
On 12/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm just having a listen to the first episode of the Brian Butterfield Pod-pod-podcast. It's pretty funny if you like Brian Butterfield

I'm a huge Serafinowicz fan but I found this really hard going. The music was too loud over the talking, and I guess having the character full on is a bit wearing after a while. I'll check it out for another guest but I'm not sure it works for me.

• Paid Members

I think part of the gimmick is that it's a bit shit. I also wonder whether it'd change if the guest wasn't in on the Brian Butterfield joke, but then there's probably a higher chance of it falling flat. 

• 1 month later...

A few podcasts I've been enjoying recently:

Bed of Lies - Podcast by The Telegraph investigating “one of the biggest scandals in recent British history”. It centres around four women who were part of activist communities between 1990-2010, and the men they met through these communities and eventually started relationships with. I remember reading about this when it was originally exposed and it's interesting to hear it from the point of view of the women who were left in the dark. Maybe one for the ACAB lot.

Dead Eyes - One mans quest to solve the mystery of why Tom Hanks fired him from a small speaking role in Band Of Brothers in 2000. 

The Apology Line - I'd surprisingly never heard of the subject of this before and there's only two episodes so far but it's shaping up to be really cool. It's about the life of conceptual artist, Allan Bridge who set up an answering machine in his studio in the 80s for people to call and leave messages to anonymously apologise for things they've done.

Wind of Change - Was the 1990 power ballad, 'Wind of Change' by German metal band Scorpions, actually written by the CIA as a piece of Cold War propaganda?

3 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

I will continue to plug Cum Town until there's more than me and @Guy Bifkinlistening to it.

I’ve given it a few listens and it always makes me question two things, are they really that funny and am I a terrible person for laughing at it? I think the first bit is definitely true but I’m undecided on the second bit. I mostly listen to podcasts when in the car (usually with at least one of the kids) or when I’m walking around in public so the swears and laughing like a dick in public make it a hard listen.

• Moderators

For me their peak stuff is when they just start bullying Adam like they're a bunch of 7 year olds. Stuff calling Adam a bug who eats dust for 20 minutes, or that time they kept repeating anything he said in a voice as Cool Adam.

The Socially Distanced Sports Bar

Elis James, Mike Bubbins and Steff Garrero just talk absolute shit for a couple of hours about books, films, documentaries and that's pretty much it. Very funny (there was a point in last weeks episode where they were talking about Ireland and I had to turn it off because I was laughing so much) and the hosts have a lot of natural chemistry together. You don't have to like sports to enjoy it, but it helps. 

The Brazilian Shirt Name Podcast

Dotun and Tim (from the always excellent World Football Phone In discuss a match each week, but in their own style. I'd listen to these two chat all day to be honest, so this was always going to be a winner for me. This weeks with Asif Kapadia about Napoli v Stuttgart is as good as it gets. 

Broken Record 

A host of people, including Rick Rubin and Malcolm Gladwell, chat to musicians, artists, journalists and that's pretty much it. Rick Rubin chatting to Andre 3000, Mike D, Ad-Rock and Spike Jonze, Bruce Springsteen and Questlove are all well worth checking out. There is something for everyone in this pod, their guests run the whole lot.

Business Movers

From Business Wars (which is also really good), this new series focuses on when businesses take big risks, so the first part is on Walt Disney building his second theme park, which is interesting, but I'm really looking forward to the parts on New Coke.

28 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The Socially Distanced Sports Bar

Elis James, Mike Bubbins and Steff Garrero just talk absolute shit for a couple of hours about books, films, documentaries and that's pretty much it. Very funny (there was a point in last weeks episode where they were talking about Ireland and I had to turn it off because I was laughing so much) and the hosts have a lot of natural chemistry together. You don't have to like sports to enjoy it, but it helps. 

As a non-sports fan who listens to this, you don't necessarily need to be a sports fan but it really does help as half the time I have no idea who or what they're talking about. Especially when they go off on one about Welsh rugby in the 80s. Luckily theres enough Nazi chat and talk of Bubbs' cock and balls to keep me listening.

8 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

As a non-sports fan who listens to this, you don't necessarily need to be a sports fan but it really does help as half the time I have no idea who or what they're talking about. Especially when they go off on one about Welsh rugby in the 80s. Luckily theres enough Nazi chat and talk of Bubbs' cock and balls to keep me listening.

A brilliant podcast for the anecdotes. Even got the patreon. 

18 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

As a non-sports fan who listens to this, you don't necessarily need to be a sports fan but it really does help as half the time I have no idea who or what they're talking about.

Oh absolutely. Even as someone who thinks they know a fair bit about sports, I struggle too, especially with the Rugby chat.

Don't know if it pops up on other feeds (I use Podbean), but they put links to all the books, docs and clips they talk about. A nice touch and I wish other pods did this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

anyone recommend a good movie podcast?

After something informative that has a genuine discussion about the movie and its background. Not after some retro-review style show with a couple of guys trying to outfunny each other whilst taking the piss out of what they've just watched. Anyone?

4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

anyone recommend a good movie podcast?

After something informative that has a genuine discussion about the movie and its background. Not after some retro-review style show with a couple of guys trying to outfunny each other whilst taking the piss out of what they've just watched. Anyone?

Unspooled.

The first season was Paul Scheer (actor) and Amy Nicholson (film critic) dissecting all of the 100 movies on the AFI List of all time great movies.

I really enjoyed them.

In season two which is currently underway they asked listeners to nominate movies which deserve to be inserted into that Top 100 and are doing the same style shows.