Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

Cant find it by searching this topic, but thanks to whoever recommended Athletico Mince with Bob Mortimer. Absolutley fantastic stuff. Just getting to the episodes where the Jeremy Corbyn stuff has started, which I think is even funnier than the Alderman and McClaren stuff. Great half hour podcast,

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone kept up with Reply All post Test Kitchen fall out? I’ve just caught up with the latest influx of episodes and whilst they’re still enjoyable they’re definitely a couple of notches below the previously high level they were churning them out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

They played my message and answered my question on the CU Podcast today. I was listening and thought "that voice sounds familiar" then realised it was my message. I think they liked it as well. 

I find Pendejo Time, Who Up? and Podcast About List hilarious.

If you like Cum Town, Chapo Trap House and that sort of nonsense funny then you probably would be amused by these.

Something very comforting about them because you can tell all involved are really good friends and find each other genuinely funny. All 3 podcasts pretty much boil down to groups of quite weird guys talking complete and utter bollocks. 

The only music podcasts I listen to are Riot Act and Broken Records which are both hosted by the same two guys. I feel like I have been listening to Stephen Hill talk about music for about half my life now so, again, its got that comfort factor for me personally. Riot Act is pretty good for new music recommendations and the odd deep-dive into classic records. Broken Records is often laugh out loud funny. I've been laughing to myself at Robin Thicke going on about "black daddy" all week.

Gaming wise I have never found one that I listen to consistently. I enjoy Retronauts but I only listen if its a game I am very familiar with. Even then there is quite a revolving cast of hosts and some are truly insufferable. Shame because at its best its a great listen.

I still listen to Wrestling Observer Radio on the regular just to hear what nonsense big Dave Meltzer is coming out with. This is more out of habit than anything else as I have been listening to him for a frightening number of years at this point. I barely care about what's happening and I definitely don't care about tv ratings and demographics etc. At this point its the idiosyncrasies of Dave I tune in for. The long term story ark of Meltzer having some sort of alarm beeping in the background that he refused to do anything about was comedy gold. What an oddball.

• 1 month later...

Ah man, Jeff Gerstman is leaving Giant Bomb, his grumpy negativity made me feel seen! He’ll be off to start his own Patreon no doubt.

Reply All is being put out to pasture too, in its current form at least. Probably for the best.

60 Songs That Explain The '90s

A great podcast from The Ringer music critic/journalist Rob Harvilla. Each episode goes in deep on an iconic songs from the ‘90s that define the decade. They're kind of in two halves - the first is Harvilla doing a big monologue on the track which are expertly written and massively entertaining. Then the second half has a guest on to chat about the song.

I started out going from the beginning and only listening the the ones about tracks I like. After about three, I realised how good it was and went back to the start and listened to all of them regardless of if I enjoy the song it's about. For instance, the episode on "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" by Shania Twain is excellent. Especially when Rob shows examples of why Shania is the queen on song intros.

If you're interested in the history of popular music, then I encourage you to check this out. The only real downside to it is that it's a Spotify Original, but it does mean they can play the songs.

• Paid Members
On 4/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, Ironic Indie Lad said:

The only music podcasts I listen to are Riot Act and Broken Records which are both hosted by the same two guys. I feel like I have been listening to Stephen Hill talk about music for about half my life now so, again, its got that comfort factor for me personally. Riot Act is pretty good for new music recommendations and the odd deep-dive into classic records. Broken Records is often laugh out loud funny. I've been laughing to myself at Robin Thicke going on about "black daddy" all week

Absolutely second these two recommendations. My favorite two music podcasts by far. Broken Records is brilliant, i nearly crashed my car from laughing listening to the True Symphonic Rockestra episode episode.

The Classic Album series on Patreon is brilliant too if you haven't checked them out @Ironic Indie Lad

Did you listen to That's Not Metal too? the new version of that is massively inferior to the Hill/Beez combo.

14 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Absolutely second these two recommendations. My favorite two music podcasts by far. Broken Records is brilliant, i nearly crashed my car from laughing listening to the True Symphonic Rockestra episode episode.

The Classic Album series on Patreon is brilliant too if you haven't checked them out @Ironic Indie Lad

Did you listen to That's Not Metal too? the new version of that is massively inferior to the Hill/Beez combo.

The bit with Hill singing "just one Cornettoooooo..." on that episode almost destroyed me. Can vividly remember painting the house and having to stop from laughing. 

I did listen to Thats Not Metal. I've always liked Stephen Hill on Podcasts even back in the Metal Hammer podcast days with Gill and later with Amit and Merlin. 

That whole Beez patreon shambles though...

• Paid Members

Yeah, utter mess that. Beez seems to have a brain that goes a million miles per hour. I remember watching the introduction video he did for that patreon thing and thinking 'this can't possibly work'.

The big pitch he made on the podcast was really uncomfortable listening. I just thought he was an enthusiastic guy with fairly decent knowledge of mostly quite mainstream metal. Why would people be queuing up to pay to hear him talk about wrestling, football, movies, mma...

Mental stuff.

Stephen Hill did the Life in the Stocks podcast a couple of years back and gives some thoughts on the entire mess. 

• 3 months later...

Still listening to Athletico Mince. Its crazy how many new and brilliant characters Bob comes up with. Since my last post, Ive been introduced to Adrian Lewis at the Slaughterhouse, Crime Files with Neil Hunt the Nonsense Potter, and Peter Beardsley, amoungst others. Nothing ever outstays its welcome.

The main reason to bump this was the news today about Adnan Syed being released from prison. Im sure plenty here have listened to Serial. They are saying there are two other suspects which need looking at, but nothing else is being said. The whole stuff about the phone towers inaccuaracy and the lack of DNA seems to have finally worked in his favour. Wasnt the general feeling that if it wasnt Adnan, then it had to be Jay, as he knew where the car was? Guess his life has become interesting the last day or so.

32 minutes ago, Dai said:

The main reason to bump this was the news today about Adnan Syed being released from prison. Im sure plenty here have listened to Serial. They are saying there are two other suspects which need looking at, but nothing else is being said. The whole stuff about the phone towers inaccuaracy and the lack of DNA seems to have finally worked in his favour. Wasnt the general feeling that if it wasnt Adnan, then it had to be Jay, as he knew where the car was? Guess his life has become interesting the last day or so.

His conviction hasn’t been overturned though has it? He’s going to have a retrial.

Its been that long since I listened to series that I can’t recall all the ins & outs of it