Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

23 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

His conviction hasn’t been overturned though has it? He’s going to have a retrial.

Its been that long since I listened to series that I can’t recall all the ins & outs of it

From what Ive read, it seems like the experts are saying that its highly unlikely to go back to a retrial for him.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

What's the compensation from the government if you're thrown in a cell for twenty years for a murder you didn't commit, or a murder where the evidence wasn't enough to convict a life sentence like that?

Depends on the technically of why you get let go I believe.

If you didn't do it but the evidence at the time was sound it's treated very differently to acknowledgement of poor handling of the case or evidence leading to an unsafe conviction, and it's another level again if evidence has been deliberately mistreated to secure an unsound conviction.

They also can't apply modern standards of sentence to past crimes, as far as I know. So if I got 20 years but these days I'd only get 5 for the same crime that's just tough luck.

• 3 months later...

Stavros Halkias was on the latest episode of Bad Friends, the Bobby Lee and Andrew Santino comedy podcast. It’s a great listen and it’s basically Bobby getting ripped whilst Stavvy talks about getting pussy and doing his beautiful laugh the whole time. I find Bad Friends has the best approach to the ‘NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED’ genre of comedy where everyone is fair game and you never get a sense of malice. Although I should add the preface that I’m a white straight cis male so obviously I’m a bad gauge of offensiveness.

I'm going to see the Cheapshow pod live next month in Leicester, I've been meaning to see them before but this was close and only a fiver compared to me having to trek to near Watford with awful public transport back. Was going to get a friend to come but tickets sold out real quick so I'll be awkwardly on my tod giving two guys some noodles.

• Paid Members
On 1/14/2023 at 1:16 PM, Merzbow said:

I'm going to see the Cheapshow pod live next month in Leicester, I've been meaning to see them before but this was close and only a fiver compared to me having to trek to near Watford with awful public transport back. Was going to get a friend to come but tickets sold out real quick so I'll be awkwardly on my tod giving two guys some noodles.

Bloody hell, didn't know that Cheapshow were still going! I went to their double live show in London in 2018ish, and that felt like the peak to me as I quickly dropped off and ending up unsubbing soon after. I'll give them another whirl now that I've had a break from the lads, maybe I'll start when these recent live shows make the pod feed. It's a shame their YouTube channel with Ashens and Barry Lewis didn't take off as intended as that's where they were in their element. Me and the wife still have an annual watchalong of the Barshens channel, and "I'M GOING TO SHIT" is still an regular in-joke around the house.

• Paid Members

On last week's Completely Unecessaey Podcast they broken the news that they're doing another 4 episodes to take it to 350 and then stop, apart from the occasional special when something really big breaks. Presumably it's just getting too much for them to fit their schedules around. It's a shame because it can be such a good podcast. Maybe I'll see how Ian is on Extra Napkins, his food podcast. 

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Can anyone recommend any good history podcasts?

Hardcore History with Dan Carlin is the best of the lot. His series on Japan is genuinely incredible. I've listened to it about 4 times now.

He has another series where he interviews people and the Tom Hanks episode is wicked.

You're Dead To Me is a bit lighter, and I also really enjoyed the Dan Snow one as well, History Hit.

I know a lot if people liked the Malcolm Gladwell one, but I just couldn't get into it.

9 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

As Bacon says, You're Dead To Me is a great, accesable history one, and is the perfect tone and length for me. It has a comedian as a guest, which can be hit and miss, but most of the time adds a nice layer to the show. Hardcore History is fab too. 

Another favourate of mine is A Short History. This is just a more basic story telling of the subject compared to You're Dead To Me, but the man voicing it is really good. I actually look at this one first over Dead To Me now. A 40 odd minute hit of a topic, such as recent ones like the USSR, the crown jewels, Angkor, which guarantees you something to write in the 'I learned today' thread here. 

In other podcast news, Athletico Mince has jumped the shark for me. I'm up to the late 2022 ones, and the decline has been pretty consistent for the many episodes before this. It's had a general decline in quality, but the Geordie Heat stuff with Sting is consistent garbage in my opinion. The shitter it is, the louder they put Andy's volume up when he's laughing over the top. Getting to the point of stopping listening. 

Seconded on the Hardcore Histories. Fantastic listens and I’ve listened to them numerous times as well. More like audiobooks than podcasts. 

We’re Not Fucking Historians is ok if you want a briefer lighthearted listen. Two comedians go through the historical events of Ireland (pre balaclavas).

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

If it’s just general history you’re interested in, the BBC History Extra magazine podcast might be a good shout, tons of episodes and they cover a decent range of stuff. You’re Dead To Me is great but as mentioned, the comedian guest can be hit or miss. History Hit has various podcasts on different subjects depending what you’re into. The Rest Is History seems to be huge though I’ve never got round to starting it, they’re doing a big live tour which suggests they’re doing something right. I just downloaded Dan Jones’ one, I can’t remember its name but looks to be focused on the medieval. And if you want the properly middle class option, the series Neil MacGregor did for Radio 4 in conjunction with the British Museum (History of the World in 100 Objects, Shakespeare’s Restless World, Germany: Memories of a Nation, Living with the Gods) they’re all available as podcasts and episodes are only 15 mins.

I also co-host a history podcast but we’re teeny tiny in comparison and I won’t shame my producing and editing abilities by posting it here, though I might have done in the past because I’m sure @Onyx2has messaged me about it before. But… if you fancy helping our total downloads go up a little bit, DM me and I’ll link you!