Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

You’re Dead To Me is great but as mentioned, the comedian guest can be hit or miss

I do love you're dead to me but I agree on the guest, there's a couple I just can't listen to because of the comedian they've got in. I used to listen to that was genius as a light comedy history one but they started trying a bit hard and I drifted away.

I'll look up the recommendations, and @HarmonicGenerator my DMs are full so if you want to post a link before I get around to clearing some space please do.

I'm not sure if it's the kind of history that fits but You Must Remember This is amazing, it's a deep dive into the seedier and secret history of Hollywood and there's so much very early stuff covered, Karina Longworth does a hell of a lot of research. I started with a season of Charlie Manson which goes into not just him but all the links to the business at the time, currently she's in the 90's covering eroticism in film and tv.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm not sure if it's the kind of history that fits but You Must Remember This is amazing, it's a deep dive into the seedier and secret history of Hollywood and there's so much very early stuff covered, Karina Longworth does a hell of a lot of research. I started with a season of Charlie Manson which goes into not just him but all the links to the business at the time, currently she's in the 90's covering eroticism in film and tv.

It's absolutely brilliant. I tend to only listen every now and then, so binge on a bunch of them while walking. The Erotic 80s / Erotic 90s stuff has been fascinating, and the context she puts into things is really well done. One of the things I like about this particular run is that the episodes don't have a particular order to them - I'm jumping between the 80s and 90s ones rather randomly, and enjoying them a lot.

• 7 months later...

Jon Ronson’s Things Fell Apart podcast is fantastic. I started listening to the second series today which is a branching web of stories connected through the Covid times but told in a brilliantly impartial way. Nice and short too at about 35 minutes a pop. He’s unmatched in his ability to present facts but also give the content an entertaining narrative.

Edited by Mr_Danger

3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Jon Ronson’s Things Fell Apart podcast is fantastic. I started listening to the second series today which is a branching web of stories connected through the Covid times but told in a brilliantly impartial way. Nice and short to at about 35 minutes a pop. He’s unmatched in his ability to present facts but also give the content an entertaining narrative.

Oh yeah I’m forgot about this, despite finding out about it the other week!  The first series was fantastic so thanks for the reminder. Have you listened to “The Coming Storm” by Gabriel Gatehouse? It’s very similar but about the January 6th insurrection. Actually it may have been your good self who recommended it!

20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Oh yeah I’m forgot about this, despite finding out about it the other week!  The first series was fantastic so thanks for the reminder. Have you listened to “The Coming Storm” by Gabriel Gatehouse? It’s very similar but about the January 6th insurrection. Actually it may have been your good self who recommended it!

No that one wasn’t me but I’ll give it a whirl next.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Jon Ronson’s Things Fell Apart podcast is fantastic. I started listening to the second series today which is a branching web of stories connected through the Covid times but told in a brilliantly impartial way. Nice and short too at about 35 minutes a pop. He’s unmatched in his ability to present facts but also give the content an entertaining narrative.

18 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I blitzed through series one of Things Fell Apart when I got the second series recommended to me, absolutely loved it, insofar as something that deals with often frustrating topics can be loved. Looking forward to starting on the new series soon.

The Coming Storm was superb in laying out the background of a lot of pervasive American conspiracy theories - the stuff about William Rees-Mogg's Sovereign Individual in particular was fascinating. 

On a completely different note, my favourite new listen is Bigfeets. It's by Robert Brockway, Seanbaby and Jason Pargin, who all used to write for Cracked.com when it was still good, and it's an episode-by-episode recap of Mountain Monsters, an absolutely insane "reality" show about a bunch of aging hillbillies hunting cryptids in West Virginia. I've never seen a single episode of the show, but the podcast is hilarious.