Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

This will not be for everyone (anyone?) but one of my favourite podcasts is Cowboy Crossroads. 

It's basically just interviews with cowboys, ranchers, actors, singers, poets, writers, rodeo competitors and so on. Well, not strictly interviews as the host doesn't really talk. So it's just (usually much older) cowboys talking about cowboy life. 

A lovely show to fall asleep to, if nothing else. 

You can find out about/listen to it here

A few I've been enjoying recently:

Dr. Death: Miracle Man - Season three of the hit podcast tells the story of a journalist who falls in love with a world renowned surgeon who falls under investigation by the medical board. Also, the TV adaptation of the first season is on StarzPlay via Amazon Prime (and Peacock, if you have it) and is well worth checking out. Alec Baldwin, Christian Slater and Joshua Jackson are all great in it.

I Am Not a Monster - How did an American family end up in the heart of the ISIS caliphate? Over four years, journalist Josh Baker unravels a dangerous story where nothing is as it seems.

Over My Dead Body: Fox Lake - A small town cop is gunned down in a swamp in the summer of 2015. He quickly became a martyr in the national media, until a dogged investigator uncovered the officer's bizarre and dark past.

The Office Deep Dive with Brian Baumgartner - Brian Baumgartner (AKA Kevin Malone) is taking you even deeper inside the show, releasing his full-length, in-depth conversations with the cast and crew of The Office. Every week, Brian will sit down with one of his old pals and coworkers to talk about their best job ever: The Office.

The Demon Seed - Stand up comic Mike Bubbins and Goldie Lookin' Chain member Eggsy spin-off their hit paranormal-based BBC radio show, The Unexplainers, into their own new podcast. A mixture of them discussing paranormal news stories and them riffing on it soon descends into them doing impressions of New York cops obsessed with bum clag, Renee from 'Allo 'Allo having incontinence issues and Harold Steptoe repeatedly calling people a cunt. Maybe a few seconds of paranormal-based content if they can squeeze it in at the end. It's absolute inane waffle but I've found myself laughing harder than I have for a long time at parts of it. Mainly at Eggsy's amazing ability to do spot on accents of any kind.

Some of my favourite reviews:

"Just started The Demon Seed. Wasted a shit load of my time today listening to you talk about picking the scab off the end of a still-massive but rake-assaulted phallus. Poor excuse for a podcast. Must do better."

"I can't even refer to it as "my guilty pleasure", as that conjures up whimsical images that you're secretly proud to reveal, not Albert Steptoe backing his anus onto an exhaust pipe. I'm at a complete loss, I really am."

"Due to the historic content, I recommended it to my boss. He came into the office last week & said "Jon, that paranormal podcast that you told me about. It was just 2 blokes talking about shoving gravel up their arseholes & shitting it out". No pay rise for me."

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

That guys a mystery to me. Beloved by every gaming edge lord on Twitter yet I’ve never heard him say anything overly controversial. Even his shit joke that brought him all that heat in the first place was pretty tame. Seems like he got a taste of that Jordan Peterson style heat/support and rode it all the way to the bank.

I don't know what an Edge Lord is nor am I on Twitter so can't really comment on that point! But I completely agree with you with regards to the controversy, I must be missing something. His rubbish joke a few years ago (something like "Life without a woman, ahh peace and quiet") caused such an over reaction it was unbelievable - one outlet posted a headline "KINDA FUNNY CO FOUNDER POSTS SEXIST RACIST JOKE" to which Colin rightly hit back and they quickly apologised. I think he had wanted to leave KF for a while so used all that to move on. 

I've been listening to him ever since the PS I Love You days and I think he's brilliant. He's extremely knowledgeable, honest, calm, proud and will not shy away from anything. I think thats why the games world don't like him - for example he is constantly tearing into games companies about their links to China. 

His old co host Greg Miller is the complete opposite. He's thick, hyper, obnoxious and treated Colin like a cunt when he left KF, yet everyone loves Greg. I don't get it. 

Colin is loving life at the moment though, probably earning way more than he ever has and is doing it all for himself.

• 3 weeks later...

There’s a new podcast that’s just started made by Wondery - who made Dr. Death and Dirty John, amongst many other - called Harsh Reality: The Story of Miriam Rivera, all about the the reality TV show There’s Something About Miriam and it’s aftermath. I remember the show was being discussed in a thread on here not that long ago so I thought someone may be interested. 

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

There’s a new podcast that’s just started made by Wondery - who made Dr. Death and Dirty John, amongst many other - called Harsh Reality: The Story of Miriam Rivera, all about the the reality TV show There’s Something About Miriam and it’s aftermath. I remember the show was being discussed in a thread on here not that long ago so I thought someone may be interested. 

Cheers. Poor @Scott Malbranque though, he’s never got over her. 

• Paid Members
On 11/15/2021 at 4:33 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Listen to The Back Page with Matt Castles and Samuel Roberts two game mag vets. They cover everything from old games to new and often do retrospectives on magazines, game series and all things gamey. Start with some of the magazine specials if you want to go back a bit, it’s only a year old so not been going ages.

I heartily approve of this recommendation! I started listening to this pod based on Mr_Danger's preview and I'm really enjoying it. The console draft and Best Of 20XX episodes are a great starting point. Wonderful stuff.

51 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

My work colleagues got me into Sweet Bobby, about an unbelievable catfish saga that took place over the past decade. Worth a listen, it's a remarkable and upsetting story.

I've been listening to this too and it's really well made and highly recommended.

Edited by wordsfromlee

I’ve started listening to Jools and Jim’s Joyride. A podcast where Jools Holland and Jim Moir talk to a guest about all things transport. Old fellas and anecdotes at 30 minutes a pop is right up my street and I could listen to Vic Reeves talk about anything. 

• Paid Members

I've just started on Ringheads - Bill Corbett from Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Rifftrax, and a writer from Rifftrax, discussing J.R.R. Tolkien, after both read the Silmarillion over lockdown. I'm not a big Tolkien fan, but I like Corbett, and I'm finding it good entertaining easy listening - I'm a friends with a lot of full-blown Tolkien nerds, and it's refreshing to hear his work discussed by people who clearly like it but aren't afraid to point out that it's fundamentally quite silly, and that he was a weird bloke. It actually has me tempted to go back and read/re-read some of his stuff, which I haven't done since school. 

Also, new series of Three Bean Salad just started, and it's brilliant as ever. One of the genuinely funniest podcasts I've listened to; Mike Wozniak, Ben Partridge and Henry Paker discuss user-requested topics at random, rarely stay on topic. "Three white comedians chat shit" is hardly a groundbreaking format, but it really works here.

They haven't updated in a while, but I Don't Like Mondays is one I binge-listened to in a couple of days. A husband and wife podcast reviewing every Garfield strip from the beginning, despite neither of them particularly liking Garfield. One take, completely unedited, because they want to expend the exact same amount of effort they assumed Jim Davis put into Garfield in the first place. I found this hilarious, girlfriend absolutely hated it.

Are you saying Thumb Bandits was bigger and better things??  Bit of a tragic figure is Iain Lee, lots of personal issues hampered his career. 

Listened to the first one of Jon Ronsons new one on the BBC about the origins of culture wars. First one was about anti abortionists and was fascinating and disturbing. Mainly because he sounds like Julian Clary. 

• Awards Moderator
On 12/1/2021 at 7:32 PM, PunkStep said:

My work colleagues got me into Sweet Bobby, about an unbelievable catfish saga that took place over the past decade. Worth a listen, it's a remarkable and upsetting story.

I've just started it, and episode 1 is interesting enough but I wish they'd stop using actual phone notification noises as effects. The Messenger ping keeps going off and I keep checking my phone.