Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

anyone recommend a good movie podcast?

After something informative that has a genuine discussion about the movie and its background. Not after some retro-review style show with a couple of guys trying to outfunny each other whilst taking the piss out of what they've just watched. Anyone?

Sure, the On Cinema podcast is great

16 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

After something informative that has a genuine discussion about the movie and its background. Not after some retro-review style show with a couple of guys trying to outfunny each other whilst taking the piss out of what they've just watched. Anyone?

I enjoy The Rewatchables by Bill Simmons and a roundtable of various people from The Ringer. Only the latest handful are on the usual podcast streams with the whole back catalogue on Spotify since The Ringer was bought by Spotify last year.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Echo the Unspooled recommendation, anything with Amy Nicholson is great.

The Rewatchables is decent, along with the other Ringer pod The Big Picture but Bill Simmons is an absolutely insufferable cunt.

The Directors Club is well worth a listen along with another really in depth one that for the life of me I can't remember as it seems to have disappeared from my follow list.

If i remember it I'll let you know as it was great. They focused on a director at a time and they all clocked in at around 3 hours. Superb.

Edit: Found it. Pure Cinema Podcast. 

Not enough diversity in film podcasts though. All white men banging on about films all the time. No more needed I reckon.

Edited by SuperBacon

I enjoyed The Rewatchables for a bit but the constant sportification of film’s was too grating after a while. I know that’s kind of the deal with who present’s it and where it’s coming from but I wouldn’t want to listen to Jeff Stelling and Chris Kamara talk about films either. My advice would be to just pick through your favourite couple of films and see if you like it.

24 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I have no idea who Bill Simmons is so maybe thats why I don't mind it. Plus I enjoy the other people he has on it as each episode only feature people who genuinely love that weeks particular movie.

He absolutely knows his shit, film and sport wise, but he is never wrong and loves the sound of his own voice. And is a bit of a nasty bastard.

Probably why he's producing that WWE/Netflix thing.

Yeah the content of the podcast can be really good and lord knows it’s nice to hear some female voices on a film podcast. I don’t know anything about any of the contributors outside of them having sports backgrounds. It’s just the presentation that irks me. I don’t want to listen to yank sports cliches when I can listen to Mark Kermode talk about films I’ll never see. I don’t mind Simmons though, I thought he came across as quite an amiable guy.

• Paid Members

There’s been some really good suggestions so far

I’d add Blank Cheque to the list which is a podcast where the presenters go through a Directors filmography in order, giving each film its own episode. I’m working my way through the Miyazaki episodes at the moment and it’s great fun

If you’re looking for a podcast on current films Film Junk is the top dog as far as I’m concerned, with Slash Film Cast second

Enjoy

• Paid Members

Hysteria Continues is my favourite film podcast but it's specifically about classic slasher films.

• Moderators

I love you cumtown. They have a search engine now where you can enter a word and find a bit they've done about it. 

When they bullied Adam for being from California is hilarious. Apparently they use a different clock in Cali, and Nick Mullens explains why. 

https://merkle-root.github.io/StreamlineTheCum/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpatreon-posts%2F6662197148277275679.mp3&time=3800&title=Oooh I'm from California and need a special clock because I'm gay

Edited by PowerButchi