Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

5 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I get the feeling this is going to be everywhere very soon but 13 Minutes To The Moon will win all the podcast awards. It's the story of the 1969 moon landing. Despite having the most spoiled ending of any story, it's edge of the seat stuff. Listen to it now so you can be the cool kid when everyone else is raving about it. 

Been meaning to get round to this. Probably start it tomorrow in fact.

A few podcasts I've listened to recently that I highly recommend:

The Shrink Next Door - "Veteran journalist Joe Nocera’s neighbor in the Hamptons was a therapist named Ike. Ike counted celebrities and Manhattan elites as his patients. He’d host star-studded parties at his eccentric vacation house. But one summer, Joe discovered that Ike was gone and everything he’d thought he’d known about his neighbor -- and the house next door -- was wrong."

Made by the same people that did Dirty John and Dr. Death. Fascinating story about control, power and relationships. 

Man In The Window - "In Man in the Window, Paige St. John, a Pulitzer Prize winning investigative reporter has uncovered never before revealed details about the man who would eventually become one of California's most deadly serial killers."

A very well told recount of the actions of The Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist. It's made me paranoid about closing the curtains as soon as it gets dark outside.

Culpable - "Christian Andreacchio, 21, from Mississippi, supposedly shot himself in his apartment. The police closed the case in 45 minutes (!) and the investigating officer did not respond – ever – to the Andreacchio family’s repeated efforts to get in touch with him. The family did not think that Andreacchio killed himself. So they tried getting local newspapers and TV stations interested, to no avail. They weren’t even permitted to do a Three Billboards-style ad campaign. Still, the Andreacchios kept hold of all the information they could: police reports, photos, notes, everything. They believed the truth would out."

There's only a few episodes of this so far but it's a very interesting story being told in a very interesting way. Looks like it's going to turn out to be a great series.

End of Days - "The story of David Koresh: the prophet whose cult in Waco, Texas preached an apocalypse – and the 30 Britons taken in by his message."

This BBC 5Live podcast tells the much told story of Waco but from the fresh angle of the British people who were a part of it. Includes a great interview with a guy called Livingston Fagan who managed to get out of the Waco compound (although his wife and mother didn't) but still believes in all the stuff Koresh preached about 20 years later. It's mind blowing. It unfortunately doesn't go into how much of a clusterfuck the raid of the compound was or any of that stuff but that isn't the story it's trying to tell.

Edited by wordsfromlee

7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Has anyone here found a good podcast on the Heaven's Gate cult?

There’s one from last year called ‘Heaven’s Gate’ that was hosted by Glynn Washington. I haven’t listened to it yet but it’s supposed to be pretty good. 

Last Podcast on The Left did an episode on it if you’re into their show at all. 

Edited by wordsfromlee

Caliphate - An excellent podcast from the New York Times on the rise and fall of ISIS. It hears from ex members, victims and locals in the countries they targeted. It’s really well done.

Done Disappeared - A true crime podcast parody that had me laughing out loud from the first few sentences in episode one onwards. Seasons 1&2 are strong, 3 is a bit weak although it has its moments. Episodes can be as short as 10 mins so it’s great for short commutes/walks. 

Abroad in Japan - From Pete Donaldson of the brilliant Wrestle Me and Youtuber Chris Broad. If you’re not particularly interested in Japan and its culture this probably isn’t for you, but if you are it’s well worth a listen. It’s all about life in Japan, it’s not about anime/gaming etc. 

On 7/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, wordsfromlee said:

There’s one from last year called ‘Heaven’s Gate’ that was hosted by Glynn Washington. I haven’t listened to it yet but it’s supposed to be pretty good. 

Last Podcast on The Left did an episode on it if you’re into their show at all. 

I've been listening to it these past few days and it's brilliant, Glynn makes it so much better as he lived a very similar life in a doomsday cult himself.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Any good paranormal/true crime pods? ive switched jobs now so have way more podcast time, i need to break up the sports/music listens.

I gave The Last Podcast on the Left another go the other day but couldnt be fucked with it, i'd rather something thats more straight forward and serious and talks about the case rather than hear the hosts crack shit jokes every 30 seconds.

17 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Any good paranormal/true crime pods? ive switched jobs now so have way more podcast time, i need to break up the sports/music listens.

I gave The Last Podcast on the Left another go the other day but couldnt be fucked with it, i'd rather something thats more straight forward and serious and talks about the case rather than hear the hosts crack shit jokes every 30 seconds.

If you don't mind cult talk then both You Must Remember Manson and Heaven's Gate are worth a listen. (oops forgot i mentioned the Heaven's Gate one just above)

Edited by Merzbow

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Glad it's not just me. I listened to it for the first time last week after hearing rave reviews about it for years, and found it hopelessly immature. Tons of dick jokes and sexual innuendo when it's just not appropriate. I was trying to get through a three parter on Manson after watching Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, but gave up as they focused on how how much sex he had in prison and finding it hilarious. Just tonally off and not any more revealing than reading Wikipedia. 

I have two comedy podcast recommendations which don't seem to be on here already (unless the search topic facility is just broken :p)

The Beef and Dairy Network Podcast - the number one podcast for those involved or just interested in the production of beef animals and dairy herds.

It's a spoof series about a range of different beef and dairy issues from buying a bull, whether there's such a thing as drinking too much milk and this episode featuring a beef and dairy radio call in quiz show - Beef Call.  There's a new episode every month and they're currently up to episode 50. I'd recommend listening from the start as there's quite a few running gags. It has an Alan Partridge / Richard Herring / Stewart Lee feel to it.

https://tmblr.co/ZdjvXj2d00lzV

Dear Joan & Jericha - a spoof agony aunt show with two agony aunts (Julia Davis and Vicki Pepperdine) giving terrible advice to the letters they've received from listeners (written themselves). 8 episodes so far and they're filthy and very funny.

https://player.fm/series/dear-joan-and-jericha-julia-davis-and-vicki-pepperdine

Both shows are also available on itunes and everywhere else.

• 1 month later...