Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members

There's one I enjoy listening to called Sequelisers. They're on a break at the moment, having just completed their third season. It's two teams of two (the same teams every episode) who fix "bad" sequels to good movies by each going away and coming up with their own pitches for the sequels. They also have discussion about why they think the original sequel was a disappointment. A lot of the episodes seem to be a case of "one team tries to fix the actual sequel with better writing or more coherence while the other team does something completely different", but it's some interesting listening. Doesn't take itself too seriously either, which is nice.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

There's one I enjoy listening to called Sequelisers. They're on a break at the moment, having just completed their third season. It's two teams of two (the same teams every episode) who fix "bad" sequels to good movies by each going away and coming up with their own pitches for the sequels. They also have discussion about why they think the original sequel was a disappointment. A lot of the episodes seem to be a case of "one team tries to fix the actual sequel with better writing or more coherence while the other team does something completely different", but it's some interesting listening. Doesn't take itself too seriously either, which is nice.

You should probably say Ashens is in it, I know a couple of people on here would be irate if they started listening and his voice popped up.

• Paid Members

I used to love Ashens. I would spend entrire nights having YouTube marathons of his bad food and bad tech reviews. I've been watching his stuff for close to a decade.

I can take him or leave him now though. Feels like most of his reviews lack the immediate passion and comedy value these days. I tried a couple of episodes of Sequalisers when it first came out and I found it hard to get into.

I'm off to see Cheapshow live in October and he's going to be there, so I hope he doesn't ruin the dynamic too much.

On another note, I highly recommend that any Parapod fans join Ian Boldsworth's Patreon. There's shit loads of content. Loads of podcasts with Dodds and behind-the-scenes stories of the upcoming movie, as well as Ian's personal tribulations and on-going projects. He posts something every day so it has this diary-like quality.

Edited by Accident Prone

For any Studio Ghibli fans, @johnnyboy I know will particularly be interested in this, there is the recently launched Ghibliotheque (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/ghibliotheque/id1417125932?mt=2) which has the familiar format on two presenters, one has seen them before while the other is seeing for the first time. It’s been launched to coincide with Film4 showing the entire run of Studio Ghibli, which is running now until the start of September (Daytime screenings in English, Late night screenings in Japanese)

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator

Started listening to @WyattSheepMask's Inside Oz podcast on the commute this morning. It's really great stuff so far, bringing back a lot of things I'd forgotten from when I watched the series. Get it downloaded if you haven't already.

And while I'm posting in here I might as well plug my own podcast. A group of friends and I have the Nerdfest Podcast where we talk generally about films, comics, TV and many and varied tangents. Amongst the chat are some recurring segments like 'Buff or Bluff' (two true statements, one lie), 'Shameful Gap' (classics one of us has never seen), 'Nerd Court' and my favourite, 'What Would Jared Leto Do' where we imagine Leto taking on new roles and the stupid lengths he would go to to fulfil them. If you fancy giving us a listen, all episodes so far can be found from our website at

http://nerdfestpodcast.com/

And we're on iTunes, Soundcloud and all of that stuff as well.

(I can only apologise for the bit in the latest episode where one of the other hosts gets Mark Henry's name wrong. I was not present for that bit or wigs would have been soundly split.)

11 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Started listening to @WyattSheepMask's Inside Oz podcast on the commute this morning. It's really great stuff so far, bringing back a lot of things I'd forgotten from when I watched the series. Get it downloaded if you haven't already.

Thanks for the kind words Harm, I really appreciate you (and anybody else who has) giving it a shot.

Im away at the moment, but i’ll give Nerdfest a go when I get back home.

• Paid Members

Happened across one called Saturday Mourning Cartoons on Youtube the other day. It's three American guys dissecting and/or ripping on classic cartoons from bygone eras. Episodes are about an hour. It's  decent  background noise for if you're playing Elite or No Man's Sky etc.

On 8/5/2018 at 7:55 AM, Accident Prone said:

I'm off to see Cheapshow live in October and he's going to be there, so I hope he doesn't ruin the dynamic too much.

I was so tempted to go, they've done really well selling out two shows on the same day. It's a great little podcast and deserves more recognition, my second fav comedy podcast next to Athletico Mince.

The Reducer. Dedicated to shit football related films, books, TV etc

They've had episodes on a documentary of Gary Linekar and Willie Thorne being mates (yep), Mike Bassett England Manager, Striker! A Steve Bruce novel, just to give you an idea of what it's like. Very funny, recommended.

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The Reducer. Dedicated to shit football related films, books, TV etc

They've had episodes on a documentary of Gary Linekar and Willie Thorne being mates (yep), Mike Bassett England Manager, Striker! A Steve Bruce novel, just to give you an idea of what it's like. Very funny, recommended.

Oh wow, and it's only on Youtube isn't it. That's my morning viewing sorted.