Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I was so tempted to go, they've done really well selling out two shows on the same day. It's a great little podcast and deserves more recognition, my second fav comedy podcast next to Athletico Mince.

Yeah, I'm really chuffed for the lads. I started listening to them based on their appearances on Barshens as they've got a great dynamic. I find I usually skip 'Cheap Eats' though, as their incredible talent for describing crisps isn't good when I'm staring at the banana and salad I have for lunch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
On 5/4/2018 at 5:33 PM, waters44 said:

Anyone else into movie podcasts??

For a different angle to plain reviews or picking apart, try Soundtracking with Edith Bowman. She interviews filmmakers, composers and actors about the music in (usually their own) films. There's also an accompanying Spotify playlist for each episode which is a good touch. I've been mainlining this loads lately. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2018 at 11:04 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

The first 2 episodes of the 3rd Series of Serial were uploaded this morning.

Rather than being focused on one particular subject like previous series, Series 3 saw them go to a courthouse in Cleveland and each episode will focus on a different case heard at the court

It's been great so far - I'm fascinated by how the justice system works (or, rather, doesn't) in America. On the true crime front, I'm really into They Walk Among Us which features crimes from the UK, many of which I'd never heard of. It's good because the presenter doesn't go into theories or speculation, just a meticulous recounting of what happened. 

Are there any decent horror podcasts? 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
On 8/5/2018 at 7:55 AM, Accident Prone said:

I'm off to see Cheapshow live in October and he's going to be there, so I hope he doesn't ruin the dynamic too much.

Might as well report back on this in the actual Podcast thread too.

The two shows were tremendously fun but I do wonder if it will translate well to audio. I think Paul mentioned that both shows will be uploaded to YouTube (they had the camera crew from Barshens there to film both shows).

Paul's energy was high and he was clearly suffering from a cold, which makes his energetic performance across the two episodes quite admiral. Eli was 100% Eli, and the chemistry between the two was real and visible. 

Also, big recommendation for the venue, The Bill Murray; if there's a comedy show there that you even slightly fancy then I say go for it. It's very intimate and the drinks are great. Shared toilet is a bit weird but it's 2018 and progression is lovely. A few decent bars around the area too. 

Edited by Accident Prone

I gave Joe Rogan a go and started with his Roseanne podcast. Fucking hell. What a couple of bellends. I'd have sympathy with her reasoning of being off her head on sleeping pills and being mentally unwell when tweeting if she actually owned the fact she said stupid shit and not that it came out wrong. Both of them think social justice and a liberal mindset are a negative thing for some reason too. I'll stick to my footy and gaming pods.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I tend to pull a bit of face when someone tells me they listen to Rogan's podcast. It was great WAY back in the day but it's a shower of shite now.

I find the most helpful way round the conversation is to say "If you like Rogan's podcast, you'll LOVE Bill Burr's podcast!" which hopefully will steer them in the right direction and also gives me a chance to blabber on about my love of all things Burr.