Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Paid Members
On 12/31/2019 at 10:40 AM, Loki said:

Has anyone else found Gossip Mongers? It's 3 people reading out scurrilous and usually obscenely biological bits of local scandal that get sent in, then they choose one and the girl has to shout it out of the window to unsuspecting passers-by.

It's the opposite of sophisticated comedy, but it is bloody hilarious.

Listened to the first episode today. Had actual tears of laughter during the welly baby story. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 3:32 PM, Onyx2 said:

Wrestle Me is great fun, and short too. 

Just wanted to say, thanks for this.  I've been commuting 3 hours a day for the past 2 weeks, and this podcast on your recommendation has kept me going.  I was super dubious about a wrestling podcast but it's very funny.

The two lads who do it, are/were they ever on here?  The wrestling nerd sounds like he probably should have been athough he's not mentioned Bossman at the Rumble yet...

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Just wanted to say, thanks for this.  I've been commuting 3 hours a day for the past 2 weeks, and this podcast on your recommendation has kept me going.  I was super dubious about a wrestling podcast but it's very funny.

The two lads who do it, are/were they ever on here?  The wrestling nerd sounds like he probably should have been athough he's not mentioned Bossman at the Rumble yet...

Yeah, he signed up to give himself the rub and nominate the podcast for the UKFF awards this year. Had mentioned how it's the award they really want to win in a more recent episode, so he's been a lurker for sure. 

It's been one of the highlights of the week for me for ages now, and I can't stand wrestling podcasts anymore as a whole. They've largely descended into retread territory that's either needlessly analytical and humdrum, the same shoot stories you've heard a million times before, infected with the whiny drawl of Conrad Thompson or the shouty faux outrage Kefin Mahon, "yes, even I have a podcast now too" etc.

The brilliant thing about Wrestle Me is despite Marc's knowledge of the game, they don't really come off as wrestling people at any point. Nothing's sacrosanct. So they don't pretend to be bothered about weird shit in the Attitude Era etc. They spent most of the first WrestleMania XX episode in bits about what a lunatic Benoit went on to be and how awkward it made things. Most other podcasts would do a twenty minute disclaimer and then wank over his matches anyway. 

• Awards Moderator
49 minutes ago, Loki said:

Marc has clearly lurked for ages, and I called him out* in the awards thread so he signed up as @WrestleMe!

I don't like 'normal' wrestling podcasts either. There's something about the WrestleMe formula that is about the sheer joy and desperation of being a fan. 

*using wrestling slang in normal chat. How irritating. 

Monster: DC Sniper

It's only about five episodes in but so far so good. It's a documentary about the person who went around Washington DC shooting random people back in 2002. I remember it happening at the time but never really looked that much into the story of what happened, so listening to this is pretty interesting.

• Paid Members

I remember when it happened, mental story. Few movies made about it too.

Anyone recommend a decent paranormal podcast? i want one thats played pretty straight though, ive given the comedic type ones a go like The Last Podcast on the Left but i spend most of the show wishing they'd stop fucking about.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I remember when it happened, mental story. Few movies made about it too.

Anyone recommend a decent paranormal podcast? i want one thats played pretty straight though, ive given the comedic type ones a go like The Last Podcast on the Left but i spend most of the show wishing they'd stop fucking about.

Have you tried Parapod? It's comedic but the premise of a hardened skeptic vs a true paranormal believer is solid. Every episode Barry Dodds (the believer) presents a case and the skeptic (Ian Boldsworth FKA Ray Peacock of 'Peacock & Gamble') pokes at the holes and logical fallacies.

The series was so good that it got crowd funded into a movie that's now touring the country.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I’m really enjoying the ‘Have A Word’ podcast. It’s pretty new, about 8eps in & is essentially just 2 comedians chatting shit (Dan Nightingale & Adam Rowe). It helps that the comics in question are 2 of the best in the country at the moment & there’s a loose theme of listeners sending in stories about friends & the hosts determine whether they’re out of order (and someone needs to Have A Word) or not. Very funny & an easy listen.

1 hour ago, Dead Mike said:

I’m really enjoying the ‘Have A Word’ podcast. It’s pretty new, about 8eps in & is essentially just 2 comedians chatting shit (Dan Nightingale & Adam Rowe). It helps that the comics in question are 2 of the best in the country at the moment & there’s a loose theme of listeners sending in stories about friends & the hosts determine whether they’re out of order (and someone needs to Have A Word) or not. Very funny & an easy listen.

Dan Nightingale runs one of my local stand up nights and he’s a great comic. As I’d Adam Rowe. 

• Paid Members
On 12/31/2019 at 10:40 AM, Loki said:

Has anyone else found Gossip Mongers? It's 3 people reading out scurrilous and usually obscenely biological bits of local scandal that get sent in, then they choose one and the girl has to shout it out of the window to unsuspecting passers-by.

It's the opposite of sophisticated comedy, but it is bloody hilarious.

Just started listening to this. Thank you @Loki this is some tremendous scurrilous filth. 

Intergalactic Spaceworm at a wedding is my favourite so far. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Intergalactic Spaceworm.

I'm frustrated by the default Podcast app on my iPhone.  Can anyone recommend me a better one?

Specifically, I'm listening to WrestleMe (Roddy!  Roddy!) and just want to be able to listen to the next (oldest) one in sequence which is near impossible on the Apple app without a lot of clicking around.