Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

I think the most notable thing about the end Spiderman movie was how bored the audience were in the cinema I saw it in. Marvel's original formula of "make a movie for kids, chuck in a couple of swear words to make the age certificate more acceptable for adult fans, chuck in a few vague comic references to please the hardcore fans, rinse and repeat" feels pretty absent in this one. It's very, very heavy in the "I know who that is" kinda moments (and in true Marvel fashion some of those linking moments don't actually make an ounce of sense). 

Spoiler

Who thought it was a good idea to shoot a climatic fight scene with 3 Spiderman in near total darkness? How does that not get a "fuck off" right away?

I cared about the ending, which is impressive, because it promises a real consequence in a Marvel movie. Whether it sticks or not is entirely dependent on whether Sony and Disney break up.

Andrew Garfield completely steals this film in every scene he's in. Oddly his Spiderman feels like it has the most depth despite having the least films. 

That said, I enjoyed it. It was fun. I'm not sure it'll age well. I dont think it's the best Spiderman movie (or best live action Spiderman movie). 

You can kinda tell the movie was an absolute mess to make.

I finally went to see Spiderman. I enjoyed it, I thought it was a good film and wrapped up the trilogy nicely.  Tom Holland is probably my favourite Spiderman so whilst I don't think any of the films are exceptional, I have enjoyed all of them.

Spoiler

Whilst I know it was all tied up really nicely between Spiderman and his friends, I adore Zendaya and really hope she shows up again if they make any Spidermans.

Also I wonder if there will be any follow up to Ned discovering he has magic or of it was just a neat little thing that was convenient for the storyline. I'm assuming he has no recollection of his abilities?

I have also watched the Hawkeye finale. If someone had asked me 6 months ago which Disney Plus show I had zero interest in, it would have been Hawkeye, I only watched it because Mr Deathrey was watching it but I actually really enjoyed the whole series. Hawkeye is a much better TV character than movie character in my opinion. Yelena was great and I really enjoyed Kate Bishop's character. I am really looking forward to another series. I must be missing something though as I thought the end credit scene was awful and cringey (and not in the way they intended) so poo to that. 

Edited by deathrey

2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Does Hawkeye feel more like the Netflix Marvel shows? I enjoyed both Daredevil and Jessica Jones and it's been a little sad seeing those vanish.

Based purely on a podcast I listened to this week as I never saw those Netflix shows but they said it’s basically what they were trying to do but with that big time Marvel Cinematic feel without it really being big time. It basically feels like the New York from the 90’s Spider-Man cartoon but with Hawkeye and Kate Bishop. 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Does Hawkeye feel more like the Netflix Marvel shows? I enjoyed both Daredevil and Jessica Jones and it's been a little sad seeing those vanish.

I haven’t seen the Netflix shows. It’s very Christmassy and very funny compared to the other D+ shows though. 

• Paid Members

The Netflix shows were definitely a fair bit darker in tone than Hawkeye. Hawkeye did a decent job of bridging between the Netflix and Disney shows. I thought Hawkeye was a lot of fun. Whereas the Netflix shows are very good. They weren't as much fun. They're also a lot longer than Hawkeye. Daredevil had two series. As did Luke Cage. Punisher is mad. If you don't mind heavy violence it is definitely one to watch.

Yeah I was pretty sure it wouldn't be as dark, I can't see Disney attempting to tackle subjects like addiction and sexual abuse like Jessica Jones did in their shows. I might stick it on the old torrent client and give it a go, Hailee Steinfeld is brilliant in everything so at least there's that.

59 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah I was pretty sure it wouldn't be as dark, I can't see Disney attempting to tackle subjects like addiction and sexual abuse like Jessica Jones did in their shows. I might stick it on the old torrent client and give it a go, Hailee Steinfeld is brilliant in everything so at least there's that.

It's one of her best roles and that's saying something because she's always awesome.

• 2 weeks later...