Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

The Batman. 

Yeah it's a bit too long but I enjoyed it well enough.

Really liked the final act.

Reveal hidden contents

Fuck off with that Joker tease, though.

Yeah feels unnecessary.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Yeah feels unnecessary.

Spoiler

It seems impossible for WB to allow an interaction between Joker and Bruce/Batman to not be part of a Batman film. They even forced it into Joker.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

I thought the final act was the worse hacked on shit and felt like it was totally unnecessary within the tone that had been set. My mate watched it recently and messaged me during the first act to say it felt a lot like Seven then at the end to tell me it was too long. Sums it up for me and for all the people saying it was a detective film first and a Batman film second it didn’t feel very sleuthy. A solid 4 star film for me carried by a good Batman performance, a really good Catwoman performance, Colin Farrell hamming it up wonderfully and a really nice dark tone. 

• Paid Members
On 4/24/2022 at 11:02 AM, The King Of Swing said:

The Batman. 

Yeah it's a bit too long but I enjoyed it well enough.

Really liked the final act.

Reveal hidden contents

Fuck off with that Joker tease, though.

Spoiler

There’s a deleted scene between the two that was supposed to be about half way through the movie. It would have killed the movie dead because people would have just been expecting his involvement later in the film. It also just telegraphed the Riddler identity in the least subtle way of all time. 

• Paid Members

Wasn't a massive fan of The Batman. Good performances, but that plot is dreadful.

Spoiler

They harp on and on about how much the city stinks of corruption, then the big twist is 'the cops and the criminals are working together!' The worlds greatest detective couldn't figure that one out?
Also, for a film so long, it doesn't half rush the ending after Riddler gets caught. 

Just watched THE BATMAN after getting covid during the week I was going to see it and then utterly forgetting to.

I really enjoyed it. It probably should have ended half an hour before (which would have been just as good) but yeah, RPatz is great in everything these days and nails it. Everyone is good and it sets things up nicely. I enjoy Matt Reeves genre films. Seems a good pair of hands for this incarnation 

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’m on episode 4 of Moon Knight. It’s taken a turn and I’m confused as hell but loving it. Oscar Isaac is great isn’t he?

Ep 5 will set you right, it’s also the best episode so far. He’s been phenomenal, a lesser performance would have come across as a lot more slapstick and gimmicky but he’s just been note perfect.

• Paid Members

Watched Dr Strange MoM this morning. Spoiler free, its pretty good. Was never going to live up to the insane hype and speculation which is sadly becoming a trademark of the marvel franchise and its all over the place plot wise. 

strange has become the tired dad of the MCU which is getting closer to his comic character, the reshoots and inserts are very obvious and Strange’s wig is getting a 9.5 on the Nic Cage scale. 

the girl playing America Chavez is great. I’ve not seen her in anything else so not sure how long she’s been around but she more than held her own  

however it’s main plus is that Disney have given Sam Raimi the budget to essentially make a horror film and it goes full Raimi a bunch of times. There’s a bunch of shots in this that could be lifted straight from Darkman and they are glorious. Hokey compositions, POV shots, jump cuts and crash zooms. It’s got the lot. 

• Paid Members

After the disappointment from Moon Knight (Not awful, I just think it was rushed and made little sense overall), I went to see Dr Strange tonight.

Evil Dead meets the MCU. I think there were a lot of nods to Evil Dead, but like Chokeout said, lots of Rami nods. More scary then I was expecting (think some kids might be freaked out at times) but I loved it. Top 5 Marvel films for me, and Rami has redeemed himself after Spiderman 3 and Oz.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, chokeout said:

the girl playing America Chavez is great. I’ve not seen her in anything else so not sure how long she’s been around but she more than held her own 

She was the best thing in the film for me.

We went to see it tonight. I didn’t enjoy it. I thought Wanda was reduced to a single character archetype and her story was pretty awful as a result. Despite there being loads going on all the time, it wasn’t nearly as inventive as a film with that title should have been, and yet I felt myself being bored a fair bit. It being directed by Sam Raimi doesn’t mean much for me so none of it gets a pass just because it’s by him. Doesn’t even make my MCU top 20 I’m afraid.

And I’m pretty high on it compared to Mrs HG who absolutely HATED it, and was visibly cringing at whole scenes. 

I’ll be happy to see America show up again, though, whenever that might be.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

She was the best thing in the film for me.

We went to see it tonight. I didn’t enjoy it. I thought Wanda was reduced to a single character archetype and her story was pretty awful as a result. Despite there being loads going on all the time, it wasn’t nearly as inventive as a film with that title should have been, and yet I felt myself being bored a fair bit. It being directed by Sam Raimi doesn’t mean much for me so none of it gets a pass just because it’s by him. Doesn’t even make my MCU top 20 I’m afraid.

And I’m pretty high on it compared to Mrs HG who absolutely HATED it, and was visibly cringing at whole scenes. 

I’ll be happy to see America show up again, though, whenever that might be.

Interesting how we are completely opposite in our views. What did you both make of Wandavision?

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Interesting how we are completely opposite in our views. What did you both make of Wandavision?

Spoiler

Really liked it up to the disappointing final episode which turned it into standard fly-fly energy blast fighting. Up to that point it did a really good job of adding dimensions and layers to Wanda’s character, all but one of which got stripped away for this film.

Spoiler tagged because it’s marginally more specific about the new film.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator