Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Parts of what you’ve said aren’t in trailers so maybe spoiler the plot points.

Hm, ok. I tried quite hard to be non specific enough to make it not spoilers, but better safe than sorry I guess

Was going to put this in the ‘Today I Learned’ thread but figured it better here rather clog that up with cape movie talk.

As it celebrates its 14th Anniversary today, I learned that there are people that genuinely think The Dark Knight is the greatest movie ever made.

Its not even the best in Nolan’s trilogy (Batman Begins is, The Dark Knight Rises is shit).

Went to see Thor Love and Thunder and it’s absolutely fine. It’s just a series of sketches really with performances that paper over a pretty bad script. Christian Bale is a bit all over the place but I mostly enjoyed his performance that’s at its best when he’s being sinister but sticks out a bit when he hams it up.

General spoiler thoughts.

Spoiler

Thought having such a daft film ending with a woman dying of cancer was pretty jarring though. Brett Goldstein as Hercules was a bit out there too. Fat Russell Crowe is the best Russell Crowe.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
On 5/6/2022 at 10:23 AM, air_raid said:

I wouldnt mind if they already had established MCU versions of the X-Men and Fantastic Four and I knew Secret Wars might be on the horizon.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:03 AM, air_raid said:

Probably just trying to get you used to a theme that will really kick off when they've done MCU versions of X-Men and Fantastic Four, with a pay off at the end of Phase 5 or 6.

So…..

• Paid Members

I mean, I don’t know if idle speculation based on comics, for a film that won’t come out for 3 years, can really be considered spoilers, but if it does go this way and people might want to see it happen with completely fresh eyes, so…

Spoiler

I wonder, given there’s a Fantastic Four film between, how much they’ll take inspiration from the most recent comic version. Incursion between two universes with Strange helping Dr Doom fix it into one, but in his vision where Reed never existed and Sues kids are with him etc.

Captain America: New World Order

where Cap has had enough of the MCU and Disney, drops the big leg and says “you fans can stick it, brother. I made that organisation a monster. I made people rich up there. I made the people that ran that organisation rich up there, brother. You fans can stick it, brother”

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

I mean, I don’t know if idle speculation based on comics, for a film that won’t come out for 3 years, can really be considered spoilers, but if it does go this way and people might want to see it happen with completely fresh eyes, so…

Hide contents

I wonder, given there’s a Fantastic Four film between, how much they’ll take inspiration from the most recent comic version. Incursion between two universes with Strange helping Dr Doom fix it into one, but in his vision where Reed never existed and Sues kids are with him etc.

Spoiler

Swap Doom with Kang, and I think that's probably where they're going.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Duke said:
  Hide contents

Swap Doom with Kang, and I think that's probably where they're going.

I'm not so sure. You can't really have a plot line that messes with the status quo until you've set up what that status quo is. 

I'm hoping we get an already established FF team from a different part of the multiverse so we don't have to have yet another origin story. 

They've now classed this as the multiverse saga and apart from the 1 different universe they spent a little bit of time in in Dr Strange and the other spideys, we haven't really seen anything of it so they need to go all in and have Kang wrecking established universes. In a perfect world the fantastic four movie opens with the Fox films version getting annihilated by Kang and then skipping to a new universe with our new FF team.

Id still be all in for Kangs first proper appearance being him killing Hugh Jackman's Wolverine or some other Fox Xmen. You want a Thanos level threat with a lesser known character, that's how you establish it. 

I thought Jonathan Majors short appearance on Loki was one of the best things about the entire phase but that was mostly due to him channelling Simon Phoenix.

I read a heated argument on Twitter before over whether or not Wakanda would be pro vaccine or not. Fandom truly brings out the best in people.

Watched Love and Thunder today, it’s a bit shit really isn’t it. The Ragnarok style humour feels very forced and Hemsworth was quite annoying I thought. Not a great film which is a shame as Ragnarok was pretty great and a nice change of pace from the boring Thor films. 

Watched all of 'Paper Girls' in one sitting last night. It's really good. The young girls who play the title characters range from being good to genuinely excellent and the story, whilst being twisty, never devolves into nonsense.

It dropped on Prime yesterday and has seemingly only been damaged by Amazon's reluctance to publicise their own shows.