Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Spoiler

I'll take your point on the secret identity stuff, but I still think that in reality she'd be getting hauled off by the authorities for extensive testing. After all, everyone was trying to recreate the super soldier formula for decades, and it seems like all youd need from her is a blood tranfusion for some perfect super powers (I know Bruce said that its because of their genetics, but they wouldnt know that yet)

Im standing my ground on the 4th wall stuff though, its out of place here. Your making reference to the comics, and you are right about that, but this is a different medium and different format. We are supposed to believe this is the same world as the past 14 years of characters and films, it is not a 'new' story.

Doesnt matter if She-Hulk did it first in the comics. Deadpool did it first on screen here. I cannot get emotionally invested in a character or story if it any point they can turn around and directly tell me none of it matters, and this isnt real. I feel that way about deadpool too, but it seems like its own little world (Despite the X-Men connection) and more of a comedy, so I dont care so much there. To be honest I didnt think Deadpool was very good anyway. If they are hell bent on doing such talking to the audience moments, then the way Team Thor and Team Darryl did it worked much better and funnier.

I really do want to like this, but so far it just seems like treading old ground. Even in the marvel world, the empowered woman story was better in Agent Carter, and the lawyers dealing with superheroes stuff was already done in Jessica Jones. I could probably forgive all this if it was just presented as a straight comedy, but it wasnt very funny.

Hopefully Im too quick to jusge though, and it picks up next week.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, alanchiz said:
  Hide contents

Im standing my ground on the 4th wall stuff though, its out of place here. Your making reference to the comics, and you are right about that, but this is a different medium and different format. 

Spoiler

Good job they haven't already done an entire series based around 4th wall breaking narratives.

WV_-_Wanda_Interview.jpg

Not the same, my point is that this is supposed to be set in the same world we have seen so much of, and that doesnt happen in...

But in Wandavision, she literally created her own little world, where not only we were watching, but there was actually people within the show watching it on TVs, and Wanda was recreating this world based on the TV shows she grew up watching, where that happened.

I liked the 4th wall stuff in She-Hulk, but the Wandavision episode wasn’t proper 4th wall, she was emulating a show that spoke to camera in a mockumentary fashion, so she was addressing the (conjured by her broken mind) camera in the room not us directly.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Finally got round to watching Eternals. Aside from my own newfound problem that watching modern films on a decent TV makes the CGI everything really obvious and makes it feel like watching a video game rather than a film, I thought it had the bare bones of a decent film but ended up an unfocused, bloated mess, like they tried to cram multiple films worth of story into one.

Spoiler

Way too much went on. I’m all for a film where who they are/where they came from is kept brief then we’re thrown into the “now,” as opposed to that last Fantastic 4 film which was best described as like a two hour trailer for a film that never happens. But CHRIST. Doing the “your dad and mission are actually morally questionable” bit is OK…. compounding with the “your role model/leader/ex boyfriend killed your mentor” part was too much. Muddling the Deviants up from straightforward baddies to “Well, they seem to against the emergence too, now they’re fighting Ikaris… umm, are they on our side now?” - no need. Distraction of Thena’s descent into madness - no need. The moral ambiguity of the Earth facing imminent destruction reminded me far too much of the godawful fifth Michael Bay Transformers film (which also tainted Gemma Chan) and that’s the worst criticism I could imagine. Also, if there was already investment in the Robb Stark/Sersi-Not-Lannister/Jon Snow love triangle, they baffled me again by forcing a FURTHER love triangle with Sprite. And how come Sprite impaled Sersi CLEAN THROUGH and not only did she not die, she was strong enough to do her previously unknown to her God-killing power??? I mean, I know it’s Marvel but she no sold that like it was nothing. We were DEFINITELY at least one film and a redemption arc too soon to care about Sprite being made human (how again??) or Ikaris’ suicide.

I get the impression the film was green lit before Marvel Studios bought the rights to the X-Men and this was an attempt to tell a complex story in a similar vein - us, our enemies, and humans caught in the middle. But even reading back what they tried to achieve in a first outing is exhausting. Plus, the mid credits and post credits felt a bit on-the-nose for how many new characters they want to introduce ahead of Secret Wars.

I’d much rather they’d done a straight “this is who they are, this is their enemy, this is why they’re fighting” or “stop enemies getting the MacGuffin” story than what they did.

On the plus side, I’ve seen some criticism that it lacked the “breezy wit” of a lot of other MCU films ; I actually thought it was a plus that they weren’t cracking a gag every minute as I’m very much over Disney trying to make every comic action film into Deadpool. Also there was less embarrassing zeitgeisty stuff (filters scene aside) that has been polluting MCU entries for ages and making me cringe as recently as Shang-Chi, and might as well come out of the textbook How To Ensure Your Movie Ages Terribly.

I really like Tatiana Maslany in She-Hulk, Wong and Blonsky were really fun in their cameos and I got a lot of time for Jameela Jamil in tight fitting attire but the entire thing feel’s like Chuck Lorre’s go at a Marvel. She-Hulk looks shit too. Mrs Danger has been on holiday for nearly two weeks now so maybe my involuntary celibacy has tainted my view but it does feel like another really average Marvel show.

I watched all of Ms. Marvel last weekend and it easily cracked the top 3 of the best Marvel shows. It helps that there’s only really three shows I’ve enjoyed. It’s 100% down to the lovely family dynamic and the kid playing Kamala is super likeable. The fact they took that lad from The Walking Dead who was easily, even by The Walking Dead standards, one of the worse actors the show has ever had in a featured role and made him look like a normal actor is testament to how polished these shows are(and how bad the writing is on The Walking Dead).

9 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

The fact they took that lad from The Walking Dead who was easily, even by The Walking Dead standards, one of the worse actors the show has ever had in a featured role and made him look like a normal actor is testament to how polished these shows are(and how bad the writing is on The Walking Dead).

Actually took me a while to even remember he was in that. Which is weird as I really fucking hated him in it. But I guess that's not a rare occurance with TWD.

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I liked Deadpool 2 ☹️

No problem with that at all and I certainly thought there was some decent stuff in there. I just thought DEADPOOL was very lean, funny and with a sweet story at its heart. The second fell for every single thing the first one was mocking, which could be good (GREMLINS 2) but turned out just generic with an unlikable lead character who is just irritating

The second one is as good or as bad as the first one. I don’t know what people saw in the first that was missing in the second other than the jokes getting a bit older in the second one. If anything by virtue of having Zeze Beetz in it you can make a case for the second being better.