Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

The second one is as good or as bad as the first one. I don’t know what people saw in the first that was missing in the second other than the jokes getting a bit older in the second one. If anything by virtue of having Zeze Beetz in it you can make a case for the second being better.

EXACTLY. It was just the same jokes and action with a worse script and longer. Zazie Beetz is great generally. Unfortunately she is not in this or Bullet Train (so we'll blame the director for her misuse in those)

• Paid Members

According to his tweets from when Disney bought Fox, Reynolds said the original plan was for a road movie with Deadpool and Wolverine told from different perspectives, Rashomon style. I'd be all up for that as long as they reign it in a bit, giving the Director and star too much freedom gave us Love and Thunder which was too much. Just let them chuck a load of fan casting in it, give a load of existing Xmen actors a proper goodbye and have some OTT comicbook violence and I'll be a happy man.

• Paid Members
On 9/28/2022 at 12:15 PM, Carbomb said:

I liked Deadpool 2 ☹️

I thought it was good. More of the same but slightly different. They did well translating Domino’s power to the big screen too which had been my biggest concern. My only real criticism was Fox AGAIN deciding that even though they’d already established that a character exists in this universe, they can just use that character again but looking, sounding or acting completely different. Two different Juggernauts to a mix of Colossus, Emma, Caliban, Angel/Arcangel and (officially) Psylocke. The worst of course being Emma, managing to be older in the 60s than at the point of Wolverine getting his Adamantium, but then I suppose if Deadpool tells us that that film (especially its version of him) “didn’t really happen” in the reality of his films, maybe we should pretend it didn’t happen in the reality of First Class either. E.g that they were the same.

Marvel DAREN'T fuck this up. Black Panther might have been a superhero film, but it was a cultural milestone that tackled a lot of race and culture issues as smartly as any blockbuster can, and will go down as Chadwick Boseman's biggest hit. The trailers have covered all the bases brilliantly so far. I'm fascinated to see what the craic with Namor is, love the South American aesthetic of the Atlanteans, and the balance between grieving what has been and moving on to what's new. I hope they've given Ryan Coogler carte blanche and let him do whatever he likes, because I do fear anything overly tropey or with even a whiff of studio mandate is going to get mercilessly slaughtered, like the CGI mirror image fist fight of the first.

I enjoyed the first one but it was just another flavour of the same brand of ice cream. It helped that it felt more like it’s own little universe but like all Marvel productions it still had Kevin [s]Dunn[/s] Feige’s fingerprints all over it. That’s being said I’m aware that it meant a lot more to a lot of people whose life experiences are completely different to me, mr average white man and it should get credit for that.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Black Panther was lucky enough to have Boseman and Jordan in it as those two brilliant powerhouse actors managed to raise the film up a level it doesn't really deserve. Apart from those two main performances it's a fairly dreadful film with some of the worst action sequences out of any Marvel film - and that's saying something, the action in all these films is mostly bad.

Recently watched Thor Love and Thunder. Pretty rubbish but watchable fluff, Waititi clearly phoned this one in. Not offensively bad as people make it out to be but obvious that no one involved but much effort in.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Not offensively bad as people make it out to be but obvious that no one involved but much effort in.

I applaud the direction of “do for Guns N Roses what Iron Man did for AC/DC.” Use of Welcome To The Jungle especially fun.

On 10/3/2022 at 5:21 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

It was a mediocre film that just happened to come at the right time for cultural relevance. There's a million ways they can fuck this up trying to follow on from that lightning in a bottle.

Especially given they're missing the main character. I have really mixed feelings about them not recasting the role, but I can understand why Coogler wouldn't have wanted to.

Edited by Factotum

• Paid Members

Werewolf By Night is superb. It's a shame it's not another twenty minutes longer or so. Easily my favourite thing they have done in phase 4.