Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Started watching She Hulk.  Love it - it’s not pulling punches with its shots at its own audience, no wonder the neckbeards are up in arms.

The CGI is awful but that adds to the charm.

Seeing as they’re doing spin off shorts, I would absolutely watch a series of The Wonger and Madisynn  sitting on a couch watching movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Cavill leaving The Witcher to don the over undies and cape again makes me wonder if James Gunn can oversee a good Superman film. I think Cavill is a great Superman but the story needs to be interesting and if they make another boring Superman it will be such a shit start to whatever this next phase of DC is.  Whatever you think of Gunn he certainly seems to be someone actors love working with and if he can be that for directors they stand a half decent chance of doing something that breaks out of the DC mid standard.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Cavill leaving The Witcher to don the over undies and cape again makes me wonder if James Gunn can oversee a good Superman film. I think Cavill is a great Superman but the story needs to be interesting and if they make another boring Superman it will be such a shit start to whatever this next phase of DC is.  Whatever you think of Gunn he certainly seems to be someone actors love working with and if he can be that for directors they stand a half decent chance of doing something that breaks out of the DC mid standard.

Is it possible to make a good Supeman film? Sure, Donner’s was impressive at the time, but Superman is such a shit character. 

I don’t read comics but you’re always hearing people say that there’s loads of interesting ways to make a good Superman film. Richard Donner’s film is excellent, well it was and I have no interest in tarnishing my memory of it, but it’s a film from a different time. I don’t imagine my kids would be as in awe of it today as I was when I was their age. 

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I don’t read comics but you’re always hearing people say that there’s loads of interesting ways to make a good Superman film. 

No. You are hearing fans of Superman comic books say that. The same people who try and convince you Batman vs Superman was better then any Marvel film because it’s all dark and gloomy. Ignore them. Everyone else thinks he’s boring. The Tory of Superheroes 

Lois and Clark was the best superman. Since they have killed him and brought him back already, the fear of losing his job will bring more drama than any big fight 

I loved Superman 3 as a kid. Dorky Superman doing whatever whilst Richard Pryor ski’s down skyscrapers. I was surprised when I got older and seen how much of a panning it got. Maybe reprise the role for the reboot and have Kevin Hart team up with Black Adam. Have a TikTokker play Billy Connolly’s missus.

• 6 months later...

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 is possibly my favourite MCU film since Endgame. There’s been a fair amount of average stuff the past few years (looking at you Quantumania) and some downright shit (Love & Thunder), but this was really good. The increasingly expanding cast all get their chance to shine. If you liked the first 2, you’ll like this. 

I have reasonably high hopes for James Gunn’s DC future. 

• Paid Members

I haven’t enjoyed a Marvel film for ages but GOTG 3 was good fun. No multiverse / time travel / variant bollocks, just a fun adventure film that had a few laughs, hits you in the feels occasionally and zipped along nicely. 

• Paid Members

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. Give all the acting awards to Big Dave. Not as good as the first, better than the second. Dark though. I’m glad this was good though, hopefully this is a resurgence of great Marvel films (The Marvels also looks good), but agree with others it’s their best since Endgame.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Having not watched anything on the movie side of things since Endgame, can anyone point me in the direction of a ‘Here’s What You Need to Know’

for Guardians volume 3 specifically, or everything post Endgame?

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Having not watched anything on the movie side of things since Endgame, can anyone point me in the direction of a ‘Here’s What You Need to Know’

If its specifically for Guardians 3, the Multiverse/parallel universes being a thing because Loki (which you knew if you watched Loki s1) and infinite versions of Kang The Conquerer being out there trying to umm, conquer everything is the general situation but nothing that's happened has had much bearing on the Guardians except Thor isnt knocking around with them anymore.