Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I saw Gunn interviewed recently and he basically said they're going to do less movies and concentrate on them being actually good. I just hope he makes a fun SUPERMAN movie that makes me like the main character. SUPERMAN is interesting in the right hands

Wonder how long that will fly with Warner Bros. Discovery top brass, who have shown they care about nothing but money recently. I’d put money on this “Gods and Monsters” phase not being seen out before WBD pull the plug and reboot. Again.

23 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Wonder how long that will fly with Warner Bros. Discovery top brass, who have shown they care about nothing but money recently.

I would say having lost significant amounts on flops in the genre, it will probably be looked upon as a good thing, especially as WB are saying they want to concentrate back on theatrical.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

The casting has never been a problem for me. It's always been about what they do with the movie. Man Of Steel for example - fucking love Henry and the trailers were absolutely glorious. But the movie itself was okay if you like a lot of buildings being smashed. And then they just never built on what they had with Henry. So they can have all the talent in the world but it's really do they know how to make a decent Superman movie? Time will tell.

Man Of Steel would've been a good movie if they hadn't made certain stupid decisions. That constant fucking sepia tone ("It's DC! It's all dark and broody!") was bad enough, but everything in general just felt a bit sadsack and muted. What they did with Aquaman (which I think is a great little film) is what they should've done with Man Of Steel. I get the whole "DC is dark" thing, but that's meant to be done by storyline, not aesthetic, and if there's one superhero you don't need to do that with, it's bloody Superman. If you make everything dark, what do you do when you get round to Batman? Superman's meant to be the joyous, colourful, optimistic contrast.

A friend of mine summed up MOS perfectly: "It's a decent film, but unlike the older films, it didn't make me feel like I could fly".

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

A friend of mine summed up MOS perfectly: "It's a decent film, but unlike the older films, it didn't make me feel like I could fly".

Is your friend R Kelly by any chance?

I’m in the of Superman is one of the worst superheroes. I just find the character particularly bland. I’ve tried with each film series/version but does nothing for me. If anyone is going to get me at least slightly interested in seeing a new Superman film it’s James Gunn though.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Is your friend R Kelly by any chance?

I’m in the of Superman is one of the worst superheroes. I just find the character particularly bland. I’ve tried with each film series/version but does nothing for me. If anyone is going to get me at least slightly interested in seeing a new Superman film it’s James Gunn though.

I used to be very much the same (not a friend of R. Kelly - a non-fan of Superman). I'm still not crazy about him, but I'm a lot more appreciative of him now that I've read a lot of the better Superman works. Red Son and Kingdom Come are probably the best (yes, I know they're Elseworlds and non-canon), but there have been some excellent stories that really play with what the character is and is meant to be, especially placed in opposition to his parallel universe counterparts, like Kal-L (Golden Age Supes), Bizarro, and the evil Superman Prime. 

There are points when it gets a bit boring, particularly when the usual defences are "His biggest struggles and conflicts are within - he's an alien who wants to be human but his powers set him apart, and his Clark Kent persona is him trying to connect with humans rather than just hiding! Is he really Clark Kent, or is he really Superman?" But, for the most part, when he's written well, he's written really fucking well, and it makes for great stories. 

I'd never heard of David Corenswet before these rumours, so all I've seen of him is Google Image Searches of him looking chiselled and handsome on the red carpet, but I do wish they'd have a Superman that was a big ol' country lunk with a heart of gold. Superman's glasses as a disguise has been memed and ridiculed to fxxx, but the idea was that there was no way this awkward but loveable doofus could be the unflappable hero with grace and strength.

I also like the idea (which I don't know if it was head canon or based on particular stories) that any physical battle he was involved was essentially him trying to negotiate with the villains and relying on his genetics to outlast the punishment the longer he wasn't able to bring them around; it's why Doomsday was such a threat (cop out?) because it couldn't be negotiated with.

"Superman as alien" was always the least interesting angle, as was the idea that he was unbeatable and therefore an aloof God figure. The direct contrast that gets to the nub of why I think Snyder's was a monumental misjudgment is the death of Jonathan Kent - him dying quietly of a heart attack all of a sudden is much more poignant and a more valuable lesson to Clark than being forced to let his father choose to die and preserve himself for some unknown cause. Superman will not be able to save everyone, so he has to make every choice the one he thinks will do the most good.

Human people can't be helpless cannon fodder either. I love the sinking boat scene in Superman Returns, because you still see the human characters fighting, thinking and struggling to save themselves, and it's only when all hope is lost that Superman swoops in to deadlift the boat out of the water.

If Gunn can capture that optimism, then his take should be good. Then again, he also produced that murdering masked super kid horror, so who knows.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

"Superman as alien" was always the least interesting angle, as was the idea that he was unbeatable and therefore an aloof God figure. The direct contrast that gets to the nub of why I think Snyder's was a monumental misjudgment is the death of Jonathan Kent - him dying quietly of a heart attack all of a sudden is much more poignant and a more valuable lesson to Clark than being forced to let his father choose to die and preserve himself for some unknown cause.

I wont spoil the flash but the reason he did that was due to the possibility of what happened to a certain person in that movie. At the time John Kent wasnt sure what would happen to clark if people found out about him. They also had no real idea of how powerful he was. He made the choice to save his son rather than risk exposing him to the world. 

Man of steel had issues like any other movie that scene wasnt one of them for me. Over all i really like MOS. 

I also see the "look at all the people he let die" thing. It was more or less his first day on the job. Fighting world engines, aliens and the possible end of earth. 

BVS is another matter,

Regardless DC will DC themselves  Gunn wont get time nor money to do anything if he dont hit a billion on his superman.........Then he will join synder, ayer,jekins and the rock.

• Paid Members

To be fair, though, he's earned himself some goodwill and kudos with his version of The Suicide Squad, not to mention his Marvel output was the reason they brought him in, so I don't think it'll necessarily follow that they'll can him for a failure unless it's a particularly big bomb.

• Paid Members

They've never managed to recapture the joy of the first two Christopher Reeve Superman movies. Even Superman 3 has its moments, and Superman IV is entertaining in a so bad it's good way. Superman Returns was a good effort, but I can't watch it anymore because Spacey. 

If you enjoyed Kingdom Come and Red Son (which is amazing) I'd totally recommend All-Star Superman. It's a really good read. Proper love letter to the character. Bit of a tear jerker as well. 

I'd love if James Gunn brought Bizarro into his DC movie universe as the loveable anti-hero he's become, it'd be a better choice for some levity than Shazam (not that I have a problem with Shazam). I read the series where he's on a road trip to Canada with Jimmy Olsen recently and it's a great read. 

50 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

All-Star Superman

Is that the Grant Morrison one? I'm sure I remember it getting mixed reviews but I have a friend who absolutely adores Superman and she has it as her top comic, I'll get around to reading it soon myself