Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Awards Moderator
On 9/4/2023 at 11:48 AM, Carbomb said:

It's not a film most people would watch in cinemas.

Speaking of which without having to dive back into the thread, how did people find 'The' Batman? I'm not sure why but I watched it over the weekend and what a bloody 3 hour slog.

<plot spoilers>

Spoiler

And then as soon as Riddler gets captured and the bomb plot unfolds it's pointed, interesting and looks good. If they cut out all the Catwoman stuff (Zoe K was so bad, like Beyonce in Goldmember), Falcone thread, Penguin stuff (what did he even do for the plot?) then I think you have a very serviceable and zippy 1hr 40 min film. I hope someone out there has created an edit like this because I bet it really works. Where is it written that every Batman (sorry, THE Batman) film has to have more than one antagonist?

So yeah.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Speaking of which without having to dive back into the thread, how did people find 'The' Batman? I'm not sure why but I watched it over the weekend and what a bloody 3 hour slog.

<plot spoilers>

Reveal hidden contents

And then as soon as Riddler gets captured and the bomb plot unfolds it's pointed, interesting and looks good. If they cut out all the Catwoman stuff (Zoe K was so bad, like Beyonce in Goldmember), Falcone thread, Penguin stuff (what did he even do for the plot?) then I think you have a very serviceable and zippy 1hr 40 min film. I hope someone out there has created an edit like this because I bet it really works. Where is it written that every Batman (sorry, THE Batman) film has to have more than one antagonist?

So yeah.

I have to say, I never found it a chore. That said, I can't actually disagree with any of your points (though I thought Zoe Kravitz was fine. Certainly no worse than Anne Hathaway in TDKR. I think I just enjoyed the style choices of the film and the fact that it felt like a new take on Batman films before with their many fights and CGI boss battles replaced with some actuall detectiving (Yes, ive invented that) from the "worlds greatest detective" (Thats not to say he demonstrated that here, but atleast he did some).  

• Paid Members

I'm kind of the reverse of you Onyx, where I really enjoyed the fairly slow pace of the film. I'm a sucker for the 'Year One' style of a Batman not in his stride, figuring things out and being in position to be kind of a fuck-up. It was the final run that it didn't quite hold me for. Conceptually it was fine, but it was the part that made me miss Nolan as a director, the big, bombastic setpiece that he's known for would have given that some kick while under Reeves' direction it only really landed once it got in close again to end.

Seen it twice now and thought it was a blast each time though, even got my wife on board who normally can't stand superhero bollocks.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed The Batman. It wasn't a must-see before I saw it, and I wouldn't call it a must-see to anyone else I might describe it to, but I liked it as the stated "Batman-as-detective" movie that we hadn't had since part of the first Burton film.

Thought Zoe Kravitz was pretty good, although I admit that some of it is down to the aesthetic - not just that she's gorgeous, but that she feels very much like a modern attempt to cast the Eartha Kitt Catwoman. 

I agree with @Jesse also that it was good to have Batman positioned as still being quite green - the bits in his fights where he gets hit by otherwise mediocre opponents were a nice touch to demonstrate that, in addition to

Spoiler

the main storyline development of all the shit that happens because he doesn't pay attention to what's going on with the Wayne Fund.

I think @Chris B summed it up to me quite nicely: it's the fun Batman film that nobody really needed.

EDIT: I also like it as an establishing film for Pattinson as the character - I'd like to see them do more with him in the role. It's a pity we didn't get to see Affleck in the role in a good film - I liked him a lot in Justice League, but it let him down (as, presumably, BvS did). He deserved better.

Hopefully they don't drop Pattinson as quickly - aside from his Bruce Wayne being a bit more like a Victorian funeral director's apprentice or a Tim Burton version of Bob Cratchit, he wasn't a slouch by any means. Would be interested to see how he plays the character going forwards, now that he's meant to be more pissed off than sad.

Edited by Carbomb

• Awards Moderator

Yep to all the detectivorising, all good stuff - bad comparison but I was slightly called to mind of Keaton deciphering the Smilex, or goodness gracious Adam West thinking through the riddles. 

Oh and @Jesse I really enjoyed the final setpiece, what didn't work for you? I've seen a few online reviews criticising it too. 

I didn't hate it overall, just felt like a more focused film would be more satisfying. Just concentrating on a single villain who works against Le Batman. I thought Pattinson was fine, not quite charismatic enough for how I see Wayne but the smarm wasn't what they were going for. 

I too would've loved to have seen Affleck in a proper Batman film give it a good run. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Oh and @Jesse I really enjoyed the final setpiece, what didn't work for you? I've seen a few online reviews criticising it too. 

Spoiler

For me it was lacking the punch that a bunch of the movie had. I didn't mind it structurally (I think it might have been a bolder move to end on the asylum scene, but I don't think it's out of place to do a big action setpiece and the way they get there works for me). Most of the movie felt up close & visceral in a way that felt 'pulled back' for a bunch of this - I don't have a great way of expressing it other than it's the part of the movie where I felt like I was just watching a movie rather than along for the ride, up until he's up in the rafters and back into the previous action style of the film.

I think ultimately, the film is operating in one mode that I was really into, and it switches into another mode for a bunch of the third act in a way that takes me out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Loki S2 and I'd say it's up there as one of Marvel's best. Especially Tom Hiddleston's performances across the series. Great direction and score. The rest of the cast were great too. Just really enjoyed all of it really and felt really powerful and emotional in places. And for all the questionable stuff surrounding Majors, he nailed his performances especially in the finale. Sounds like they're not dropping him anytime soon unless something big happens.

Got The Marvels booked for Sunday and seems to have a lot of positive reviews so looking forward to that. Not too long either which is always good.

Hoping the quality control can be back for Marvel. Echo is looking pretty decent too.

On 11/1/2023 at 12:55 AM, Merzbow said:

So Gen V, is it like The Boys in that it's pretty much a totally different thing to the comic or does it follow the book it's based on more closely?

I've watched the first episode and really liking it so far.

Quoting myself but this was really good, maybe a little too many sex jokes but there's one early on that's especially funny. Great cast too, a few from Sabrina and I was so glad to s Maddie Phillips get a good role after Teenage Bounty Hunters was cancelled despite great reviews.

I think I prefer it to the mainline series and can't wait for more.

• Awards Moderator

I really enjoyed The Marvels.

A few spoiler free thoughts and I’ll put more spoilery ones in a box.

- Iman Vellani is excellent in the film. She’s got her character absolutely nailed down. Her family are a brilliant addition, like they were in the Ms Marvel series - they’re just great.
- The film is so much lighter and more fun than I expected. It’s genuinely funny in quite a few places which is really nice.
- Superb cat content. Superb cat content. It’s worth repeating. CATS.
- I had a few issues - I didn’t think Zawe Ashton was the best fit, and while the movie wasn’t about the villain so it didn’t matter, she just didn’t work for me - but overall it was just loads of fun!

Spoiler

- Speaking of cats... the Empire review had mentioned an all-time great needle drop, but I was not expecting THAT song, or for it to fit so perfectly. Unbelievable!
- I’m not a fan of the tendency for superhero films to try and cram in No Way Home style hootin and hollerin fan service moments, but I have to admit I basically did that and punched the air at the final scene. Kate Bishop! KATE BISHOP! Kate Bishop!!!!!!
- And then the mid credits scene! What the——!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Also, the movie pretends Secret Invasion never happened and this is for the best.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I really enjoyed The Marvels.

A few spoiler free thoughts and I’ll put more spoilery ones in a box.

- Iman Vellani is excellent in the film. She’s got her character absolutely nailed down. Her family are a brilliant addition, like they were in the Ms Marvel series - they’re just great.
- The film is so much lighter and more fun than I expected. It’s genuinely funny in quite a few places which is really nice.
- Superb cat content. Superb cat content. It’s worth repeating. CATS.
- I had a few issues - I didn’t think Zawe Ashton was the best fit, and while the movie wasn’t about the villain so it didn’t matter, she just didn’t work for me - but overall it was just loads of fun!

Reveal hidden contents

- Speaking of cats... the Empire review had mentioned an all-time great needle drop, but I was not expecting THAT song, or for it to fit so perfectly. Unbelievable!
- I’m not a fan of the tendency for superhero films to try and cram in No Way Home style hootin and hollerin fan service moments, but I have to admit I basically did that and punched the air at the final scene. Kate Bishop! KATE BISHOP! Kate Bishop!!!!!!
- And then the mid credits scene! What the——!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Also, the movie pretends Secret Invasion never happened and this is for the best.

I can’t argue with that. My daughter’s first big screen Marvel film, probably only about the 4th she’s watched, but she did watch and enjoy Ms Marvel and Wandavision as well. But the three of us really enjoyed it and I proper grinned like a Cheshire Cat during the mid credits. But overall thought it worked well, was entertaining, funny and made me want a cat.