Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

I'm very very late on this one but I watched The Marvels yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It didn't take itself too seriously, didn't try to over complicate things, it was just good, lighthearted fun. It is by far the best Marvel offering in a few years in my opinion. Didn't love Zawie Ashton as a few others have said but she doesn't feature overly heavily in it. I echo the love for Kamala and her family and hope that the film not performing well doesn't mean it's the last we see of her.

I remember liking the 2005 Fantastic Four. Was it not well received? I genuinely don't remember paying much attention to that.

Jessica Alba was in it so that was enough for me. Although the rest of the cast was fairly decent too. I must admit I haven't watched it since though..

1 minute ago, deathrey said:

I'm very very late on this one but I watched The Marvels yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It didn't take itself too seriously, didn't try to over complicate things, it was just good, lighthearted fun. It is by far the best Marvel offering in a few years in my opinion. Didn't love Zawie Ashton as a few others have said but she doesn't feature overly heavily in it. I echo the love for Kamala and her family and hope that the film not performing well doesn't mean it's the last we see of her.

Seems to be getting a lot more love on Disney Plus which is nice to see.

I also watched it this week and agree it’s the best Marvel film for quite some time.

The post-credits screen suggests a team up which will certainly interest me for reasons of bonk.

• Paid Members
On 1/14/2024 at 8:47 PM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I

I don't know how Madame Web can have Sydney Sweeney in this outfit and not just make the movie be about that

Hide contents

madame-web-photo-shows-off-the-suits.jpg.92495704d01766c56a30d08701568ba6.jpg

Easy 

Spoiler

You see her in the costume for about 10 seconds in the film to make people beg for a sequel 

Madame Web is like the opposite of The Marvels. Not funny, everyone is unlikeable, Sydney Sweeney playing a 15 year old is hilarious, a story that makes no sense and awful dialogue. Makes Morbius look like Avengers Infinty War. I’m sorry Beekeeper for what I said because this is the worst film I’ve seen in a cinema in years. Absolute shite.

Excited for the FF casting. @Dr. Alan Grant I had a bootleg in the 90’s, but it often pops up on YouTube now. There’s a documentary about it as well which I recommend. I thought the film was decent for the time/budget.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

I think it says something about the current state of Marvel that the Fantastic Four announcement is relegated to a tweet with (from what I’ve seen) not a lot of fanfare. Years ago it would have been a big deal at some big comic con or something 

I watched four episodes of Loki and not sure I can carry on. I’m just lost all the time and honestly I don’t even know what’s going on. I asked a mate and he said “dunno, I think they’re saving time!” Fucking wish I had and not bothered 

35 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'll probably watch the film but cba with any post credits scene so can you put it in a spoiler box for me please.

BONK.

Spoiler

Ms Marvel seeks out Kate Bishop to team up, and she's teamed up with Yelena Belova (Florence Pugh) before so the possibility of all of them plus Captain Marvel in a team is honestly bonk city.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, waters44 said:

I think it says something about the current state of Marvel that the Fantastic Four announcement is relegated to a tweet with (from what I’ve seen) not a lot of fanfare. Years ago it would have been a big deal at some big comic con or something 

I'm almost certain it's to divert from the shitstorm of bad reviews for Madame Webb (I know it's not their film but there's only so many negative socials with the word 'marvel' in it that they can have.) And the fact that the entire announced cast has been doing the rounds for a while, with Pedro confirmed months ago by everyone but Marvel. 

The fact they have put out deadpool, ff and xmen in 4 days suggests they are doing it for a reason. 

Casting wise, I like everyone, not sure how they'll fit together, especially with the age gap between Pedro and Kirby. I'm loving that it looks like they'll go for a 60s setting

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, chokeout said:

The fact they have put out deadpool, ff and xmen in 4 days suggests they are doing it for a reason. 

Deadpool 3 was due to the Super Bowl. X-Men because it starts in just over a months time. The FF announcement I think was a diversion.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Deadpool 3 was due to the Super Bowl. X-Men because it starts in just over a months time. The FF announcement I think was a diversion.

Deadpool was always going out for the superbowl as its their only release this year. Xmen could have been released anytime in the next couple of weeks (or last week) and still have a month's build up, in fact it's been coming for so long that an announcement at any time would do. I honestly can't think of another time where a single franchise has had 3 things announced in the same week outside of a big event like comic con. The only other explanation is they've jumped on the crazy numbers the Deadpool / wolverine l trailer has done and released it early. 

Edited by chokeout

11 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Nobody cares about FF because the last three movies bombed and were shit. It'll be hard to get casuals to care.  

Not sure it's even that really. I just think the cast had been rumoured for quite some time so it wasn't exactly a surprise. I think people probably need to actually see more before the excitement starts. A lot of people won't have even seen the other ones.