Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Another thing I don't think anyone mentioned is that Marvel actively buried the fantastic four for years to the point of even cancelling the comics while other studios owned the rights, I'm sure that hasn't helped with the way they're perceived, it used to be a huge title for them.

I like the FF enough but I'm a bit sick of Pedro Pascal being so overexposed, he's cool enough but he's been everywhere for a couple of years, just feels like Marvel casting whoever is popular. I would have loved to see Glenn Howerton or someone as Mr Fantastic. I hope Galactus is in it in any case, and not as a cloud this time.

As one zadddy to another I obviously throw my support behind Pascal and he definitely could pull Vanessa Kirby or a woman her age but it’ll be interesting to see how that’s portrayed.

Marvel should probably forget about setting up their next phase and concentrate on X-Men, Blade and Fantastic Four at this point. Nobody needs more films featuring the shit Avengers teaming up.

14 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I know you like to just say stuff to be edgy or trolling or whatever, but a very quick google search tells you that’s bollocks. Both the first 2 Fantastic Four films were successful

Just had a Quick Look and going by the Scorch Metric of a film needing to make three times its budget to be a hit, the second one didn’t meet the criteria. 

Yes this is worse than ratings chat!

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Just had a Quick Look and going by the Scorch Metric of a film needing to make three times its budget to be a hit, the second one didn’t meet the criteria. 

Yes this is worse than ratings chat!

it sure is because I said they were successful. The second fell short due to a higher budget and a smaller Box Office taking. It would have probably made back the difference in home media. In comparision the 2015 reboot cost $120m and made $167m which is a massive box office bomb.  

And this chat is more entertaining than the later film, so at least there is that.

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

it sure is because I said they were successful

But not by your usual metric. You can’t have it both ways because it suits! Unless of course you’ll not use the three times the budget thing ever again. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But not by your usual metric. You can’t have it both ways because it suits! Unless of course you’ll not use the three times the budget thing ever again. 

1- Not my metric, that’s Hollywood’s

2- Success and profitably are two different metrics. See also AEW

3- Bore off

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

Not my metric, that’s Hollywood’s

So by Hollywoods metric, you’re wrong. Cool. 

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

See also AEW

No thanks

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Bore off

Sorry you don’t like discussion. Ah well, at least it gives you something to cry about in paid. 

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

To be fair, they didn't say they bombed financially. They bombed with the critics.

Bombed. Funny word when you think about it.

Yeah, I must be honest, I meant bombed as in the reviews. It made money, All of them did, But bad movies make bank all the time, Until the money stops because people just get fed up with bad movies. Look at Madam Web, it was packed in my showing yesterday, Once the movie reaches "casuals" that packed house will dwindle.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Another thing I don't think anyone mentioned is that Marvel actively buried the fantastic four for years to the point of even cancelling the comics while other studios owned the rights, I'm sure that hasn't helped with the way they're perceived, it used to be a huge title for them.

It's forgotten with how well they've done since the MCU but Marvel have gone scorched earth with their own stuff so many times because they had lost control of their licences. The films helped the xmen become their biggest franchise and despite them still holding the rights to the merch from the films they refused to release tie ins, because they didn't want fox to have thier small percentage. Same with the Fantastic Four. They are fantastic books written about how many dumb decisions Marvel have made over the years. They were happy to kill off the popularity of their characters, just so they could have them back. 

Just now, chokeout said:

It's forgotten with how well they've done since the MCU but Marvel have gone scorched earth with their own stuff so many times because they had lost control of their licences. The films helped the xmen become their biggest franchise and despite them still holding the rights to the merch from the films they refused to release tie ins, because they didn't want fox to have thier small percentage. Same with the Fantastic Four. They are fantastic books written about how many dumb decisions Marvel have made over the years. They were happy to kill off the popularity of their characters, just so they could have them back. 

Yeah, always seemed Petty to me. Especially when Fox released DOFP and First Class. To me, those movies rival the MCU's best. Even the time travel worked and wasn't super confusing!

• Moderators
8 hours ago, chokeout said:

IThey are fantastic books written about how many dumb decisions Marvel have made over the years. They were happy to kill off the popularity of their characters, just so they could have them back. 

Sounds interesting. Can you recommend a book or article where i could read more about this?