Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Nobody cares about FF because the last three movies bombed and were shit. It'll be hard to get casuals to care.  

I know you like to just say stuff to be edgy or trolling or whatever, but a very quick google search tells you that’s bollocks. Both the first 2 Fantastic Four films were successful and made almost as much as X-Men and X-2. Whether you liked them or not is another thing entirely.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Nobody cares about FF because the last three movies bombed and were shit. It'll be hard to get casuals to care.  

Absolute bobbins. 

The Trank film was a disaster on every level by a studio that had lost the plot. The other 2 FF films were decent hits, earning more money than Incredible Hulk, Captain America and Xmen. They made more money than Into the Spiderverse! Getting casual fans through the door is in no way an issue for a Fantastic Four movie. 

12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I know you like to just say stuff to be edgy or trolling or whatever, but a very quick google search tells you that’s bollocks. Both the first 2 Fantastic Four films were successful and made almost as much as X-Men and X-2. Whether you liked them or not is another thing entirely.

I mean it's just my opinion. Not trying to be edgy or trolling. They weren't well received. Especially the 2015 one. I'd love to be proven wrong and I'm excited for the new one. Pedro is my favourite actor currently. 

7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

No, you said they bombed. That's not an opinion. It's a statement of fact that is provably false.

To be fair, they didn't say they bombed financially. They bombed with the critics.

Bombed. Funny word when you think about it.

• Paid Members
On 2/14/2024 at 4:38 PM, SuperBacon said:

Isn't this like the 50th time they've tried with this lot?

They need to accept they're shocking characters (maybe Thing aside) and get over it.

Also loving hearing that Madame Web is utter dogshit.

They're difficult to get right, but that's partly because a family dynamic with superheroes is difficult to get right. Plenty of writers have struggled with it, but when the Fantastic Four work, they really work. The recent comic book relaunch has been an absolute belter and one of the best superhero comics of the last decade.

In the same way that Doom can and should be their big bad over however many movies, but they've struggled there as well.

It's part of why casting Pedro Pascal could actually really work - Reed should be mostly likeable and down to earth (just endlessly sidetracked). After all, Ben Grimm isn't just his best friend - he's also Ben Grimm's best friend.

A positive, likeable film could really work well.

9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

To be fair, they didn't say they bombed financially. They bombed with the critics.

Bombed. Funny word when you think about it.

They said bombed AND were shit so the implication they financially failed is certainly there. But they were absolutely shit though, that much is true. 

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

They're difficult to get right, but that's partly because a family dynamic with superheroes is difficult to get right. Plenty of writers have struggled with it, but when the Fantastic Four work, they really work. The recent comic book relaunch has been an absolute belter and one of the best superhero comics of the last decade.

In the same way that Doom can and should be their big bad over however many movies, but they've struggled there as well.

It's part of why casting Pedro Pascal could actually really work - Reed should be mostly likeable and down to earth (just endlessly sidetracked). After all, Ben Grimm isn't just his best friend - he's also Ben Grimm's best friend.

That's cool, and I'm sure they mean a lot to a lot of people, but as someone that to be honest only read the comics when they were younger, I just always found them a really boring lot with boring back stories, and much preferred the other factions on offer.

Fourth time lucky?

spacer.png

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That's cool, and I'm sure they mean a lot to a lot of people, but as someone that to be honest only read the comics when they were younger, I just always found them a really boring lot with boring back stories, and much preferred the other factions on offer.

I don't know how to explain that comics you haven't read might be good.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I don't know how to explain that comics you haven't read might be good.

25 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Could you give me the specifics of the good run. Where to start, are there tpbs etc?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Could you give me the specifics of the good run. Where to start, are there tpbs etc?

The recent one is Ryan North's run, from 2023. Starts with the trade 'Whatever Happened To The Fantastic Four'. It's just good, fun and smart writing - the kind that's looks deceptively easy. 

The run before that by Dan Slott was really good as well.

Hickman's run is decent but - like everything Hickman does - over-complicated and picky, yet has some great moments. Doom becoming God Emperor of the universe in Secret Wars and how his feelings about Richards still pick away at him is incredible.

Some of Mark Waid's run in the 2000s was a lot of fun too.