Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Went and saw the second Aquaman at the cinema with my mate today. It was fine. There was a lot of "we want this movie to be Dark and moody" contrasting with James Gunn presumably telling them that they need to crank up the laughs. John Rhys Davies voicing big fat king lobster dude got all the best lines and was great, had some Taika Waititi type lines in there. Martin Short had a cameo as well. Some of the fight and action sequences suffered from there being a lot of fast moving people and cameras, like Kevin Dunn directing Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen. There were also so many janky looking CG effects that they could probably have animated it and it would have looked better. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Okay, I know I'm very late to the party here, but I just need to get this off my chest. The Preacher TV show was just awful. They made far too many changes, for my taste at least, and it really hurt the show. In my opinion, if they weren't prepared to adapt the comics as-is, they probably shouldn't have bothered. There were things I liked, Dominic Cooper's Jesse Custer was genius casting, as was Joseph Gilgun as Cassidy, but I just genuinely couldn't get past the second season.

9 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Went and saw the second Aquaman at the cinema with my mate today. It was fine. There was a lot of "we want this movie to be Dark and moody" contrasting with James Gunn presumably telling them that they need to crank up the laughs. John Rhys Davies voicing big fat king lobster dude got all the best lines and was great, had some Taika Waititi type lines in there. Martin Short had a cameo as well. Some of the fight and action sequences suffered from there being a lot of fast moving people and cameras, like Kevin Dunn directing Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen. There were also so many janky looking CG effects that they could probably have animated it and it would have looked better. 

Blurry CGI action scenes are a staple of the DC movies. Probably only The Batman and The Joker haven’t fallen foul of that.

43 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Is the aquaman film the first of the Gunn era or the last of Snyder/whoever else era?

I'm interested in what Gunn does, but don't want to watch an Aquaman film I don't have to.

It's considered to be the last DCEU film.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the first Aquaman film - it was everything Man of Steel should have been. Decently paced, lots of action, psychedelic visuals, quite a good electronic chunk of the soundtrack too.

Someone watched the surprisingly good Hawkeye and decided to make a show about the henchwoman. Never mind the bottom of the barrel this is the dregs of the toothpaste tube and it’s already been rolled, squeezed and rinsed out.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Aquaman 2 it had 80s buddy cop and fantasy quest movie vibes. Gutted they cut Affleck's cameo though. Momoa looked massive, like almost fat he looked so beefy. RIP DCEU, the better of the connected superhero movie universes

I don't know how Madame Web can have Sydney Sweeney in this outfit and not just make the movie be about that

Spoiler

madame-web-photo-shows-off-the-suits.jpg.92495704d01766c56a30d08701568ba6.jpg

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

• 5 weeks later...

Finally an official cast announcement after what seemed like years of rumours. As much as I like Pedro Pascal, he seems an odd fit for Reed. 

It’ll be interesting to see what tone they go for. Serious and dark didn’t work with Josh Trank’s piece of shit film. Colourful and frothy was pretty much universally hated with the Ioan Gruffudd ones. This new one scores points for possibly including HERBIE though. The artwork and logo look very retro. A 60s set FF film? Yes please. 

Isn't this like the 50th time they've tried with this lot?

They need to accept they're shocking characters (maybe Thing aside) and get over it.

Also loving hearing that Madame Web is utter dogshit.

I'll watch it of course, but shocked to hear that a film where the main star looks and sounds bored talkin about it all the time, is crap. They all need to stop with all this.

Amazingly it’s only the third attempt (or 4th if you absolutely have to count the Roger Corman produced 90s version, which I’d love to see if it was available), and the previous ones have significantly damaged the reputation of the characters. The FF comics, when done right, are…fantastic. I just hope the new film taps into some of the ideas that prior ones haven’t, like space exploration, trippy visuals, crazy villains like Mole Man, Blastaar, Annihilus. But it’ll probably be Dr Doom again. I’d prefer he gets the Thanos treatment rather (fuck Kang) than a one-and-done appearance.