Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• 1 month later...

Can thoroughly recommend The Flash. At two and a half hours, it never drags, and moves along at a great pace. Some ropey CGI, but I think that's expected these days. Great performances by Keaton and Miller. Two thumbs up, and smokes most of Marvels output these days. 

• Paid Members

I was hyped for the Flash and then they announced Keaton and I couldn't have been more excited but the film is an absolute mess. Keaton is the only saving grace. I also couldn't get past the fact that Miller is a garbage human. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, chokeout said:

I was hyped for the Flash and then they announced Keaton and I couldn't have been more excited but the film is an absolute mess. Keaton is the only saving grace. I also couldn't get past the fact that Miller is a garbage human. 

I concur. All the best Batman stuff is in the trailer. I’d have lost my shit in the cinema with the big reveal if it hadn’t been shown everywhere for months in advance. And Miller’s performance is fine. But the director said no one could have played that role and I couldn’t disagree more. Plenty of people would have done as good a job and without being a massive POS. And for a film that cost over $200 million dollars it looks like trash. Unforgivable CGI, I was laughing at the opening sequence at the hospital.

• Paid Members

The flash was re filmed a number of times. 

As ever with WBDC they spanked millions on cameos and re shoots only to ditch it all regardless. Aquaman 2 has done this as well i have no doubt that to will be an absolute mess.

Gunn is going to have to work a small miracle to get anyone to care about his DC after the this slate.

They keep missing the point as to why Marvel has been so successful over the years. It wasn't because the characters were necessarily better or the potential storylines but the fact that Marvel earned the respect and trust of the audiences to the point where they'd go to see a Marvel film specifically. So they were able to go with things like Guardians because the audience believed it would be decent regardless of how little they knew about it. Sure, it's obvious overkill now but you get the point.

DC just don't have that and I'm not sure they can at this point. You can't throw out Blue Beetle (for example) under a DC umbrella without any hype or reason or whatever else because DC don't have the trust of a large part of the audience. They've got their die hards obviously but beyond that it's just not there. Marvel played the long game, patiently built things up and got to where they are now. DC can't replicate that overnight and I'm not sure they really need to either. The Marvel burnout should prove that DC need to do things differently anyway.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I just don’t understand how Marvel Studios gave the world a blueprint on how to build a “universe”, and 15 years later DC are still making a dog’s dinner of it. 

I don't know if they're still sticking to it, but in the early days it was because they seemed to be obsessed with doing the complete reverse of the "multiple films building up to big elite team crossover" formula, just because Marvel were doing it, which is a shit motivation. Marvel didn't do it because they're Marvel, they did it because it's good storytelling, and DC should've just followed that blueprint - nobody with any brain cells would've accused them of plagiarism or lack of originality.

EDIT: They also seemed to be panicked into a massive rush, just because Marvel had built up a head of steam at that point. They didn't seem to realise that time wasn't an issue: people will wait for good films.

Edited by Carbomb

Yep it was all very much "ooh people love it when you shove superheroes together - let's do that!" and totally ignoring the build up and the anticipation etc. And not only throwing that out there without much planning but also then having a subpar product as well. They've just done pretty shit from all angles.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yep it was all very much "ooh people love it when you shove superheroes together - let's do that!" and totally ignoring the build up and the anticipation etc. And not only throwing that out there without much planning but also then having a subpar product as well. They've just done pretty shit from all angles.

The much-vaunted Snyder cut of Justice League highlighted everything that was wrong with their approach - yes, it was better...because they made it long enough to fit in the build-up that it should've had in the first bloody place. It's not a film most people would watch in cinemas.