Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Thanks both of you. I was meaning just for GOTG3 but that’s my fault, I should’ve been more specific. I kind of fell off Marvel after WandaVision as it seemed like every man & his dog was getting their own movie or mini-series and I just didn’t have the time or inclination to keep up

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Thanks both of you. I was meaning just for GOTG3 but that’s my fault, I should’ve been more specific. I kind of fell off Marvel after WandaVision as it seemed like every man & his dog was getting their own movie or mini-series and I just didn’t have the time or inclination to keep up

I watched this one before I went to see Volume 3 and did a good job, but focuses just on Guardians and not what Phase 5 is being set up for (GOTG was always a bit siloed in that regard though, so this should be plenty). 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Irony being that I really want to watch WandaVision and along with No Way Home its about the only Multiversy bit I havent seen yet, despite fucking myself a bit by watching Dr Strange.

Still hoping for Wanda to be involved with the X-Men when they get integrated into the MCU.

• 2 weeks later...

GOTG3 was excellent fun, better if not more surprising than 1 but WAY better than the two-people-talking-in-the-Volume dud that I thought 2 was. A rollicking adventure film, zippy dialogue, and a proper evil bad guy. Big Dave is everyone's dad. Not a ton of MCU connections to worry about, nicely episodic to break things up, Nathan Fillion back in great nick, green angry Zoe Saldana in leather, and Chris Pratt actually getting the balance right between MCU snark and his natural goofiness. Warning re: the villain though - regardless of how you feel about mistreatment of animals (which does me in anyway), there are some very heavy emotional and violent scenes in this, and a particularly grisly reveal. It also feels like a proper farewell from James Gunn. Highly recommended.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw GOTG3. Yeah a real tough watch in places. For all their CGI faults lately I'm glad this was all done properly and felt so horrifically real in those scenes especially. 

Wasn't sold on Adam Warlock but so glad they got the villain right where that's often the weak point. Felt like a genuine threat and the emotional driver meant everyone felt at risk at any time because it was such a personal story.

Don't think i could've asked for much more as the end to the trilogy and undoubtedly the end for the majority of the cast and crew. A journey they can all be insanely proud of and top tier Marvel.

• Paid Members

I watched Quantumania last night on Disney+ it was alright, did a good job of setting up Kang as the next "big bad". 

• Awards Moderator

I’d think I’d rather see the High Evolutionary again than Kang. HE was a properly hissable evil villain, they seem to be trying to make Kang a Complicated Villain but he’s appeared twice so far and been beaten on TV and then by a midcarder in Quantumania so it’s gonna take some work to build him as a threat for me. If Evolutionary popped up again I’d instantly think “oh shit, we’re in trouble now”.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I think it over egged it in places. MODOK being that guy from the first movie got run into the ground and was a huge tonal shift from the rest of it. It also felt like a few of the other attempts at gags didn't land either, like the citrus thing. 

Should have just been Paul Rudd and his daughter. Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfieffer looked so out of place in this. Michael Douglas especially. That line where they’re talking about having needs in their years of separation where she asks him what happened with the woman he went on some dates with and he says “She wasn’t you baby” is so bad even by Marvel standards. Modok was so bad he’s good good really clumsily fleeting between deadly threat and comedy. They manage to fuck up a 

Spoiler

Bill Murray

cameo of all things. Literally the only thing I really enjoyed in it is Jonathan Majors who is made to look pretty weak by the end and he’ll probably be fucked off for being a cunt anyway.

Its worthy of a home viewing and it’s probably par for what you expect from mid tier post End Game Marvel but to be fair everything is mid in the MCU now anyway.

Quantumania and Thor Love and Thunder before it should be a warning to Marvel - ffs, forget your contracted entries and if a director doesn't want to make another production liner, just let them go. Waititi clearly threw his together in a fortnight and then proceeded to be a cunt about it afterwards re: stressed out CGI dev teams, and QM was so clearly Peyton Reed's Fantastic 4 treatment reskinned that nothing and no one looked like they gave a shit. Seeing Jonathan Majors' Kang after both the wrongun allegations and Chukwudi Iwuji's stellar turn as a genuinely complicated, unstable but undeniably evil villain made Kang look even more petty and mopey in comparison. Having an argument with yourself/ves, being supposedly omnipotent but struggling in a punch up with divorced dad (and fxxx me, how the MCU has aged Paul Rudd) < obsessed egotist who'll destroy billions of his own creations when his interest moves onto the next thing.

• Paid Members

Saw SPider-Verse 2 tonight and it's so, so good. Not as breathtaking as the first, because you know what you're in for, but still an absolute delight to watch. A creative team that, as a package, feels like it's firing on all cylinders and nailing stakes, quippy comedy, and visuals in a way that should make the people in charge of shitting out these MCU movies ashamed. Definitely some recency bias having just got in from my first cinema experience this year, but it's so good to see a fun movie with characters from my childhood again.

7 hours ago, Jesse said:

Saw SPider-Verse 2 tonight and it's so, so good. Not as breathtaking as the first, because you know what you're in for, but still an absolute delight to watch. A creative team that, as a package, feels like it's firing on all cylinders and nailing stakes, quippy comedy, and visuals in a way that should make the people in charge of shitting out these MCU movies ashamed. Definitely some recency bias having just got in from my first cinema experience this year, but it's so good to see a fun movie with characters from my childhood again.

Oh, I don’t know - even with that, the different animation styles just blew me away. Visually, this is leagues above the already-brilliant first movie for me. I think the original told a better story, but I still loved everything about this, it was just brilliant. Easily the most enjoyable film I’ve seen this year so far, it’s so much fun.

• Paid Members
On 5/28/2023 at 5:20 PM, DavidB6937 said:

Not sure why but I found most of it pretty boring and I've really enjoyed the previous ones.

There were no stakes. Absolutely none.

This was a film begging for something - anything - to happen to indicate that this phase has something going on. Pfeiffer or Douglas killed off? Ant Man and Wasp stuck in the Quantum Zone? Everything going wrong somehow?

But no. They couldn't even kill off the fucking jelly guy, and that's absolutely baffling. Your new big bad couldn't even competently take out the jelly guy.

It's been the biggest problem with most of the movies post-Endgame. They're terrified to actually do anything, so nothing is moving on - all that's happening is that there's more of the same. There are no consequences and no stakes, and there's no reason to be worried about Kang, and certainly not enough to give us a tease that he'll be turning up on another meaningless Disney + series.

At times, they luck into some decent fun, but Jesus. Who fucking cares at this point?

I mean, I was almost worried about spoilers for Quantumania in this post, but there was literally nothing to spoil because nothing of interest happened.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Oh, I don’t know - even with that, the different animation styles just blew me away. Visually, this is leagues above the already-brilliant first movie for me. I think the original told a better story, but I still loved everything about this, it was just brilliant. Easily the most enjoyable film I’ve seen this year so far, it’s so much fun.

Yeah, I think the difference for me was that I had no idea what I was getting into with the first, whereas I had expectations for this one. You're right that it feels like another leap for that creative team, especially

Spoiler

the constantly changing painterly style of Spider-Gwen's world and everything to do with Hobie

Edited by Jesse
forgot how to do spoilers